Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-23-2011, 07:00 AM   #1
Terra
Drinks her not-just-a-smoothie pina coladas in ALL CAPS in front of her preschoolers before she takes her CDs and goes home.
seller

My Mood:
Let's talk iron skillets!!

I feel like I'm turning into a pioneer more and more! I think I may have been born in the wrong time!

I've lately really been using my cast iron skillet for most everything! And LOVE it!
I've baked chicken in it, made eggs, a cake, stir fry.

What do you use a cast iron skillet for?
Any favorite recipes?
How do YOU clean it?

My grandmother never washed hers, just wiped it out [she mainly used it for meats/eggs and it kept it "seasoned" she said! I'm still alive today but I don't know what damage it did to me!

Advertisement

Terra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 09:56 AM   #2
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Let's talk iron skillets!!

I don't, but have been looking. Mainly looking for something that can go over an open flame- I appear to be joining the pioneer revolution as well. Can you use them over open flame or is there something better? I am thinking your grandma was on to something with the seasoning. My pizza stone says you are not suppose to use soap just wipe with a wet towel. I had to say I had a really hard time not using soap, but it hasn't killed us yet and it always smells like garlic.

I found a book with pioneer recipes in it- some are jokes and pretty funny others like campfire cornbread I am really looking forward to trying.
jbug_4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 12:53 PM   #3
2queens&1princenmyhouse
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I got my cast iron skillets at garage sales for $1 each. I them. I rinse them out with water and if they are really yucky (like when I cooked three pounds of bacon in them), I use my Pampered Chef stone scraper thingy to scrape off the chunks and then just scrub it out using water and a dish cloth. No. soap. ever! Also make sure you dry it well after you wash it. I sit it back on the stove and turn the heat on low for 10 or so minutes to make sure it is completely dry.

Favorite things to cook in it: fried chicken, green beans with bacon grease and onion, refried beans, omelets
2queens&1princenmyhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 02:14 PM   #4
smom050811
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We love cast iron so much! We have a large skillet, medium skillet, grilling skillet, and an itty bitty baby skillet. We also have a huge dutch oven! Now, I know that they're not supposed to be "cleaned" but when we cook anything kind of gross in them I have too. I just use a little dawn and hot water, wipe away, and then use a little oil to grease. That way, it still stays seasoned but I don't feel like it's a health hazard.

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a harder battle. - Plato
smom050811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 02:18 PM   #5
4littlenorskes
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

They rock and I'm slowly adding to my collection!
Old 06-24-2011, 10:36 AM   #6
help007
Registered Users

We use our two burner cast iron skillet nearly every day. If it needs cleaning, I roll up a thick kitchen towel, get the bottom wet, and use that to clean it while it is still really hot.

I really want to buy a cast iron skillet that is unseasoned so I can try this method:
http://sherylcanter.com/wordpress/20...ing-cast-iron/
I love science in the kitchen!!
help007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 02:31 PM   #7
skolbut
Registered Users
seller
seller

Yep, grandma was right! Just wipe it out!!!! It keeps it seasoned and ready to go

My mom made the mistake of washing her mom's monk's pan when it accidentally got extra seasoned one year, and the next year it was A MESS!
B... newly type II diabetic, wife to B 9/16/05, mama to B 1/23/07 H 9/27/08 (after three years of GI issues FINALLY getting a celiac diagnosis!) and our miracle baby C who joined us 9/6/2011, and is forever greatful to his "milk mamas" who pump for us! We do lots of crunchy things and some soggy things, too.
skolbut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 06:01 PM   #8
Mermother
Registered Users
seller

We ADORE our cast iron. We use it for everything! I just discovered baking biscuits in it. It's improved my biscuit making skills a lot!

ISO: A laundry gnome, and EUC Sanity.
Mermother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 03:24 AM   #9
b bright
Registered Users
seller

Just wanted to throw it out there that my grandma only uses cast iron and she always washes hers with soap....it's not done anything to the skillets. They work just fine and always make the food taste better. Lol.
Old 06-28-2011, 08:38 AM   #10
graceworks
Registered Users
Formerly: annaelise
seller
seller

My Mood:

I didn't know you could bake in a cast iron skillet! I have one and I use it mainly for sauteeing and frying and browning meat. Anyone have recipes?
loving being a stay at home wife to DH (married 4/11/09) and mommy to DD1 (10/4/10) and little DD2 (5/30/12) and expecting baby #3 in March!
graceworks is offline   Reply With Quote