Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-23-2011, 11:59 AM   #11
KristieW
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Ethical question about Ameda

I have seen Lactinas on CL for around $300.

Advertisement

Old 06-23-2011, 12:02 PM   #12
2+2macht4
Super Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Location: In a quaint village smack in the middle of the black forest.

I did not circ, but I would not boycott the company over it myself.
Old 06-23-2011, 12:08 PM   #13
MrsJordan85
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilaryisinked View Post
Thank you for all the info on the pumps!!! I'll be researching all the options out there now to try to find the best one for me.

Elisabeth-I'm planning on EPing because I had a really horrid time with nursing Aubrey. I have a whole lot of anxiety issues, issues with being touched, sexual things that happened as a child that make it very uncomfortable for people to touch me. I felt very trapped while nursing Aubrey. I spent most of the 15 months lashing out at her for needing to nurse and then crying at the end of the day because I felt like such a horrible person. It was not healthy for either of us. I decided to EP this time so that our whole family can be a little happier.
I'm sorry honey, but just to prepare you pumping can reallllllllllllllly stink. Like, a lot! Especially in the middle of the night. I pumped a lot with Selah toward the end because she started refusing to nurse and it made me crazy really quickly and I switched to formula I know you have your reasons and I am not at all judging you... just be prepared. I really really hope it is better for you than direct nursing and it does make you all happier.
Old 06-23-2011, 12:16 PM   #14
Kriket
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsJordan85 View Post
I'm sorry honey, but just to prepare you pumping can reallllllllllllllly stink. Like, a lot!

I know you have your reasons and I am not at all judging you... just be prepared. I really really hope it is better for you than direct nursing and it does make you all happier.
same from me. I WOH FT and just to get the 8 or 10 oz I needed for the shift I had to pump the other boob while nursing around the clock PLUS pumping at work.

The pump just isn't as good as a baby at getting milk out. Which makes your supply dwindle.. it just sucks you under in it's cyclone of malfunctions.

Do what you have to do, and I don't even know if you have experience pumping, but it really is awful. I would think about therapy first, EPing second if I was in your shoes.
Old 06-23-2011, 12:27 PM   #15
hilaryisinked
Registered Users
seller
seller

I definitely know it will suck. My SIL EP'd for 6 months and told me she would never do it again. I just can't imagine feeling such anger and hate toward another child the way I did with Aubrey . It was horrible. Breastfeeding is supposed to bring out all these great hormones and make you feel great but I just had to sit there cringing and focus on not becoming too angry at my baby.

I may look into donor milk actually because I may just start developing these feelings anyway, toward the pump and not a person, and bring that into my relationship with my children and husband.

I would love therapy but I have such horrible stranger anxiety that I don't see myself ever going to see a stranger about my problems. I mean, I can't even go through drive thrus because I am so fearful of talking to people I do not know.

Last edited by hilaryisinked; 06-23-2011 at 12:33 PM.
hilaryisinked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 12:57 PM   #16
smokeyswife
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Pumping is not all that bad....just have to look at it for what it is. You are providing your LO with the milk that they need. I pumped for TWO years...I induced lactation for my little one who we adopted. I started in January of 2009 when we decided to adopt, and continued to pump even though we had not been matched with a birth-mom yet. We were matched in June of 2010, and baby boy was born in August of 2010. I continued to pump until a couple of months ago....so just over 2 years. It is totally possible....you just have to make peace with the fact that a pump and cooler go everywhere you do for what it's worth...I have used the Avent Isis, the Limerick PJ's Comfort, the Symphony, the Pump in Style, and the Lactina. I would recommended either the Limerick or the Lactina. They worked the best for me.
smokeyswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 01:29 PM   #17
loving my family
Registered Users

I am sorry too, I understand not wanting to talk to strangers it is much easier to talk online they cannot see you, my sister works in the mental health field to try to help small children & their family's work through problems. It is not easy but sometimes having someone who can listen & relate to you & talk with you does wonders for your heart with healing.
Just remember that you are not alone in your feelings many others have been there too unfortunately.
You are strong & are not defined as a person from these horrible instances that have happened in your life & that you can & will some day learn to feel ok with yourself in your own skin, you deserve that.
loving my family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 01:37 PM   #18
burnsis
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I bought my Ameda pump before I read about their connection to Hollister, and making of Plastibells. I definitely would not have bought it if I had known....

That said, I don't use my pump very often....I've used it probably less than 20 times through both boys, and it's starting to lose suction. I only bought it b/c I was uncomfy nursing in public at first, and for those rare times when I needed someone else to watch them. I tried a manual pump first, and even if I had all the time in the world...no patience for that...LOL.

If you are planning on EP'ing, I'd definitely get one of the more expensive electric ones...

His body, his choice.
burnsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 02:26 PM   #19
peanut_munchkin
Registered Users
seller

I second the PP that don't recommend the Ameda for EP. I used the older Lansinoh model (same as the current Ameda) with my last child. I used it off and on for a year -- anywhere from 2-7x per week -- no where near EP. It was great up until about the 12 mo mark (you know... when the warranty wears off). I was weaning at the time so I thought it was me and not the pump. Then I pulled it out 6mos later to use with my second child. It lasted me less than 2 weeks using it 1-2x a day, 5 days a week. The motor just died all together.
I did go with an Ameda this time around (that's how I know its the same pump) because we're tight on cash and I'm already comfortable with the way the pump works. Plus, I don't use it very heavily. I figured, if it breaks within a year I can get the motor replaced (I have a hand pump... evil thing). If it breaks outside the warranty I can get another and still spend less than I would have spent on the Medela I was looking at.

Bottom line, for EP I'd go with something else that won't break down on you. If you can afford it, I'd rent a hospital grade. Those are made for EPing and I think you'll be much happier having the peace of mind that if it breaks (which its less likely to) you can get an immediate replacement.
peanut_munchkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 02:37 PM   #20
peanut_munchkin
Registered Users
seller

Oh! and a tip! Pumping does suck, and one of the anxieties I faced about it was the constant "am I getting enough?" I started pumping with my second when my milk came in. Normally folks tell you not to pump and let yourself regulate, or pump just enough to relieve the pressure. I just pumped and pumped and pumped instead. I ended up producing 30oz more than he needed each day! It was insane, but it was nice because within 2 weeks we had over 100oz stored in the freezer for a 'rainy day', and I had some awesome looking boobs But in all seriousness, it took some of the pressure off of me and lifted my anxieties.

I sincerely hope this is a better experience for you. If you can muster the courage to talk to someone, preferably before the baby is born I encourage it. I had some PPD with my first and would find myself feeling mildly resentful towards this totally beautiful child every time she cried to be fed. You're right -- its a horrible feeling at the end of the day and I can't imagine what it is like for you if it was that bad for me. Pumping was a bit more freeing for me because I could do other things (hands free bra!), and I could have some "me" time... kind of.

I hope and pray this is a much better and more peaceful experience for you
peanut_munchkin is offline   Reply With Quote