Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-20-2007, 04:40 PM   #1
Nonie's mom
Registered Users

My Mood:
Is 8 1/2 months old too young for this behavior?

Whine, whine, whine, whine, whine, head thrash, whine, cry, whine, whimper, whine, whine, hit/push away, head thrash, whine, whine, crash head into mommy, whine and some more whining .
Keep in mind she is teething (she has 1/4 of a tooth on the bottom). Should I be thankful that she is not constantly crying? Should I be greatful for the whining? I want to pull my hair out. Sometimes I can't console her. I nurse and try and rock and she cracks me in the head with her head or she pushes me away and throws her head back and cries. I put her down and she crawls to me and cries some more. I try to hold her and she doesn't want to be held.
She is an angel 95% of the time. She is almost always smiling and happy but when she gets into these tantrums, holy cow I think I am gonna go crazy. Maybe it is because she is so good all the time that I am not used to the fussing! Do other babies have tantrums like this? I thought it wouldn't happen for a while.....like the terrible 2's!!! Someone tell me this is normal!

Advertisement

Nonie's mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 04:58 PM   #2
JRo
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Is 8 1/2 months old too young for this behavior?

I have nothing to give but ... sorry mamma.. This being a mom is so much harder than I thought
Old 06-20-2007, 06:22 PM   #3
Samantha
Goodness gracious he's hot!
seller

My Mood:

Are you noticing it at certain times of the day? Or a certain amount of time after a feeding?

Maybe relux could be causing her pain?

My DS is a LOT like that (same age as your dd) when hes overtired.
Samantha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 07:22 PM   #4
calapitters
Registered Users

My Mood:

Maybe she is getting a cold? Maybe more teeth are coming through? I can't say for sure, but it sounds like something is really bothering her. Try giving her a dose of Tylenol. If it helps, you'll know something hurts her (teeth, ears), if not, no harm done.
Old 06-20-2007, 07:30 PM   #5
Erica526
Registered Users
seller

My DD does the very same thing! I can really sympathize because it can be so frustrating. She is 13 mos. now, but started having her "tantrums" when she was around the same age as your little one. For DD, I think sometimes she is just overtired sometimes and that's really when I notice the tantrums. But I think the root of the problem is that she is trying to communicate things to me (she wants something, I took something away from her, a toy is not working as she wants it to, etc.), and she is not able to do so effectively, so she just gets really frustrated. And has a tantrum. My DD is also an angel 95% of the time, but when she gets in a temper, watch out. Sometimes I can figure out the source of her frustration, sometimes not, but I suspect it will improve a lot as she gets better able to communicate. I try to comfort her or otherwise satisfy her if I can, but, like your little one, she often doesn't want to be held or comforted in any way, and it's almost as if she needs to work it out for herself. So a lot of time, I will just set her down on the floor and go about my business. Sure enough, before too long, she'll have reconciled her issue and be right back to being a cheery little sunshine. Here's hoping it's just a phase.
Old 06-20-2007, 07:35 PM   #6
GrahamBaby4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Nope, not too young. Unfortunately they don't come with instructions, but i would say at 8.5 months old, when they are overstimulated they need some "me" time. Set her in her bed or in a quiet place that doesn't have a lot of activity (pictures etc) somewhere that she knows and walk away for a few minutes. Sometimes thats all they want is to be left alone because there is too much going on and they are trying to process ALL of it at once.

I would say to watch her for gestures when she does it, if she is rubbing her ears, under, behind or the ear, take her in to the ped to get checked for an ear infection, when they get more mobile sometimes the ear infections begin. If she is just getting reddish eyes and crabbing at you, leave her alone for a minute or two, she might need quiet time or she may be over tired. I know how frustrating it can be with one that cries ALL the time, and I know when I started getting irritated he would react in an even worse way because he could feel my reaction to him and how it bothered me, so he felt something was really wrong and would scream even more if I would try to hold him.
Good Luck and Lots of Hugs, She'll make it through it, and so will you.
GrahamBaby4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 10:43 AM   #7
Nonie's mom
Registered Users

My Mood:

Thanks, ladies for the great advice. I guess I just needed to know that she was normal to act that way. I will try the quiet time. We have been doing sign language too for a long time and hope that will help with communication when she is old enough. She knows a few signs like nursing and eat. She can't do them but she recognizes them.
It really happens when she is tired or bored. She does pull on her ears but it seems to more of an I found my ears pulling. If she were wailing and pulling her ears, we would be at the ped. So far so good on that front. We don't vax so we haven't been to the ped since she was 6 or 8 weeks old. My husband went through medical school to be an Ob and decided he was an engineer during his second year residency so we have a "doctor" in the house. We also have tylenol that we give only if she is completely inconsolable. I always try nursing and walking and everything else I can think of cuz tylenol scares me.
Anyway, thanks so much for really good advice and insight!
Nonie's mom is offline   Reply With Quote