Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-24-2011, 01:25 AM   #11
PerrisMom
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by savvytrav
Oh, how lucky of you!!! I'm a single mom also, and want to move back up there so badly, mind if I join y'all?? kidding (mostly).
When I lived there I was a full time, live-in nanny, so I didn't have to worry about housing or cars, but I did get to know the area a bit.
Places around Forest Park dr and Northern Lights Blvd (north of n. lights, NOT south) are pretty decent, mostly houses...but some condos and 'mother-in-law' sort of places.
A few areas of downtown are nice; your best bet is probably go around a bit and see what looks appealing to you
In my honest opinion, living in alaska is TOTALLY worth being frugal/barely making it financially.
Plus, who knows, maybe you'll find a rich, buff mountain man! haha. As the saying goes: 'the odds are good, but the goods are odd'!!!

Lol come join us!! If you don't mind me asking, why did you leave ak?

I would Love to find a mil-type place. We don't need a lot of space but I don't really like apartments

And lol to 'the odds are good, but the goods are odd', I'm in Northern California right now so this definitely applies here too!! But rich, buff, mountain man is my ideal! If only they were easy to come by!!

I am really excited to go to the fair, I've heard such great things!!! And I know Perri will adore it

Advertisement

PerrisMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 01:29 AM   #12
an_aurora
Registered Users

Re: Moving to Anchorage!

NP

FWIW, "rush hour" here is lots of cars, but all going 65. The only times there is ever stop-and-go is if there's a crash, or heavy snow/ice, or moose. But yeah it's a long drive. I started really hating the commute I totaled my car on the way home from work and started having panic attacks from the drive. But DH did it 5 days a week for 2.5 years and didn't mind it.

I would love to answer questions It will be beautiful when you get up here!
an_aurora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 01:34 AM   #13
EricaLynn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by an_aurora
Hi

I live in the Valley. TBH, $19 would be pretty tough in Anchorage, but do-able.
I was going to say the same thing actually. It'll be tight but work able. Unfortunately (where I am anyway) Child care and rent are both expensive. As are groceries and gas. There are options though! And yes, ak is worth it
EricaLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 01:41 AM   #14
PerrisMom
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
NP

FWIW, "rush hour" here is lots of cars, but all going 65. The only times there is ever stop-and-go is if there's a crash, or heavy snow/ice, or moose. But yeah it's a long drive. I started really hating the commute I totaled my car on the way home from work and started having panic attacks from the drive. But DH did it 5 days a week for 2.5 years and didn't mind it.

I would love to answer questions It will be beautiful when you get up here!
What!? People actually go the speed limit? That never happens in California, they're always going 20 over or 20 under. I like commutes but depending on where I end up finding daycare I don't know how my lo would handle it. She doesn't really like car seats lol. We're working on that.

I am counting down, I can't wait to actually be there!

Random question: I'm gonna be buying a car up there at some point, but initially I'm going to need to rent a car. What's the cheapest way to do so? Everything I've looked at is CRAZY expensive for just a few days. I've always gotten car rentals for between $25 and $45 per day, and all I've found is about $150. Gah!! Suggestions?
Old 06-24-2011, 01:45 AM   #15
PerrisMom
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLynn

I was going to say the same thing actually. It'll be tight but work able. Unfortunately (where I am anyway) Child care and rent are both expensive. As are groceries and gas. There are options though! And yes, ak is worth it
I've done really extensive budgets and I know it's gonna be really tight, but I'm ready to learn to live on less and be in a new environment. I'm taking it as a challenge

Thanks and I'm so glad to hear it will be worth it!!
Old 06-24-2011, 10:34 AM   #16
an_aurora
Registered Users

It's prime tourist season, so rentals are crazy expensive. Before we moved up, DH flew up to find a house, and he rented a car for $50/ day and it was a 1998 Ford Taurus and he found a baggie of weed in the glove box
an_aurora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 03:21 PM   #17
EricaLynn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
It's prime tourist season, so rentals are crazy expensive. Before we moved up, DH flew up to find a house, and he rented a car for $50/ day and it was a 1998 Ford Taurus and he found a baggie of weed in the glove box
Whaaaaaat?! Bonus! I mean, er....
EricaLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 05:45 PM   #18
savvytrav
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerrisMom View Post
Lol come join us!! If you don't mind me asking, why did you leave ak?

I would Love to find a mil-type place. We don't need a lot of space but I don't really like apartments

And lol to 'the odds are good, but the goods are odd', I'm in Northern California right now so this definitely applies here too!! But rich, buff, mountain man is my ideal! If only they were easy to come by!!

I am really excited to go to the fair, I've heard such great things!!! And I know Perri will adore it
The ONLY reason I left was so I could have my son near family, at least for birth and first few years (and for me during pregnancy!)...he is the first grandchild, and I just didn't think it'd be fair to them.
When I move back, I'll have to look you up

ISO: boys NON-sports/vehicle/character 3/4t underwear; toddler ruskovilla/engel/smartwool; cirque du soleil dvds http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/savvytrav
savvytrav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 10:27 PM   #19
PerrisMom
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by an_aurora View Post
Ugh, I didn't think about it being prime tourist season (my mind has just been consumed by moving, not by logic ).

Is the public transportation very good?
Old 06-24-2011, 10:29 PM   #20
PerrisMom
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by savvytrav View Post
The ONLY reason I left was so I could have my son near family, at least for birth and first few years (and for me during pregnancy!)...he is the first grandchild, and I just didn't think it'd be fair to them.
When I move back, I'll have to look you up
Yeah, I would have been lost without my family when I first had my daughter. Now that she's a little older I'm trying to branch out more. Hopefully it all works out!!

Definitely look me up when you're back. I'm sure I'll need some Mama friends!