Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-24-2011, 01:25 PM   #31
Kriket
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Ethical question about Ameda

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilaryisinked View Post
Yes we are but my DH claims we don't need it therefore we aren't getting on it...sigh.
no. Tell him that you are going to get on WIC (even if you never get any of the food) a single visit to an LC is around $50 for a one hour appointment. You may need extra help EPing. They were able to get me different sized flanges (free!) and tips on positioning the pump differently and such. They may be able to lend you a hospital grade pump. The lactina's personal part is $50 alone, then the motor is $1000. You are really going to need a hard core pump. I don't know if the PY or the purple cousin will cut it for you. I had such a crappy pump... I thought it was me for a while, I wouldn't want that to happen to you too. Not after nursing your daughter for 15m. So you know your boobs can do it!

I got on for DS for the LC. I knew I would never be able to afford my own pump, but I had to work.

Advertisement

Old 06-24-2011, 02:30 PM   #32
hilaryisinked
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriket

no. Tell him that you are going to get on WIC (even if you never get any of the food) a single visit to an LC is around $50 for a one hour appointment. You may need extra help EPing. They were able to get me different sized flanges (free!) and tips on positioning the pump differently and such. They may be able to lend you a hospital grade pump. The lactina's personal part is $50 alone, then the motor is $1000. You are really going to need a hard core pump. I don't know if the PY or the purple cousin will cut it for you. I had such a crappy pump... I thought it was me for a while, I wouldn't want that to happen to you too. Not after nursing your daughter for 15m. So you know your boobs can do it!

I got on for DS for the LC. I knew I would never be able to afford my own pump, but I had to work.
Would I still have to go to the WIC appointments and stuff? We only have one car and DH works an hour away so it's such a pain. I know my insurance will only cover a rental from the hospital if I have a preemie but I wonder if mental health or D-MER or any of those issues could get it covered...hmm...I'm really trying to push WIC on him. I think we need it. He just thinks that a lot of other military families, not all, get on it because they can and he doesn't want to be one of them.
hilaryisinked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 02:50 PM   #33
Kriket
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Would I still have to go to the WIC appointments and stuff? We only have one car and DH works an hour away so it's such a pain.
You would, just to keep the enrollment, but that's 4 appointments a year. One to get certified, and iron checked and whatever else they want to do to you, then one for "coupons pickup" which, if you really don't want the coupons... you probably don't have to go to that one. Then repete in 6 mo. You would just go when you wanted LC support, though you can call them to, but it's sometimes hard to give advice over the phone.

I know it's a massive hassle to travel car-less with kids (we only have one car also) but WIC offices are usually pretty conveniently located on bus lines. Also, we have state HC, and they offer transportation to Dr visits and WIC appointments. I don't know if yours offers anything like that.

The military pay is so different from civi pay, but if you qualify, you qualify. That's my opinion. I know people get their "holier than thou" pants on a little too tight about Gov't assistance. I don't see people getting touchy about who goes to their public schools or who drives on their public roads. KWIM? Just because it's income based people start looking down. If you (general) had a higher income, you could afford a private LC or fancy pump and wouldn't need WIC. If you were lying or selling it, that's unsavory, but if you need it, take it.
Old 06-24-2011, 04:30 PM   #34
AlisonR80
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEVmommy View Post
1) Ameda is no longer owned by Hollister, it is now owned by Evenflo, so the Plastibell issue is no longer an issue.

2) While the Lansinoh pump looks the same, I believe that it does not have the same motor and does not provide the same level of suction quality as the Ameda does.
it's my understanding that they are the same, they both cycle 30-60 times per minute and have a suction of 100-220 mmHG
Old 06-24-2011, 04:36 PM   #35
tygr2410
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
I may look into donor milk actually because I may just start developing these feelings anyway, toward the pump and not a person, and bring that into my relationship with my children and husband.
If you haven't already, join the human milk for human babies virginia facebook page...it looks like there are a lot of post to donate milk in this area. Hopefully there will still be plenty when your little one needs it (if it doesn't work out)

and heads up, WIC only gives out pumps to working moms

Last edited by tygr2410; 06-24-2011 at 04:38 PM.
tygr2410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 04:39 PM   #36
AlisonR80
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My WIC gave me a pump and i wasn't working or going to school, but that was in 07...so maybe its changed. it's worth looking into.
Old 06-24-2011, 05:31 PM   #37
JeDeeLenae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlisonR80
My WIC gave me a pump and i wasn't working or going to school, but that was in 07...so maybe its changed. it's worth looking into.
Same here in 08.

Check out my gallery! PM me for YYMN and other knitting needs.

JeDeeLenae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 06:06 PM   #38
Kriket
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think they will loan whoever wants a pump a pump as long as they are on the breastfeeding package. Last time I checked 09 I'm sure it varies by office.

Insurance will buy you a pump to keep (at least our state's HC) if you have "medical need" which includes working or going to school FT.

Last edited by Kriket; 06-24-2011 at 06:07 PM.
Kriket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 06:25 PM   #39
AlisonR80
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriket View Post
I think they will loan whoever wants a pump a pump as long as they are on the breastfeeding package. Last time I checked 09 I'm sure it varies by office.

Insurance will buy you a pump to keep (at least our state's HC) if you have "medical need" which includes working or going to school FT.
so your state's medicaid will cover a breast pump?
Old 06-24-2011, 06:29 PM   #40
Kriket
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlisonR80 View Post
so your state's medicaid will cover a breast pump?
yes It's a managed medicaid, so it's technically through CareSource, but yes is the short answer.

Some private insurances will if there is medical need. Medical need can include separation, like work or school. Or IGT, inverted nipples, poor latch, FTT etc.