Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-24-2011, 04:12 PM   #11
Kriket
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: School lunch questions and fish free pitfalls?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLCreations View Post

I get that schools are large and it's a LOT to ask for to change up lunches.
But, is it the BIGGEST deal in the world to have your child eat something other than PB&J? It's one sandwich. And there are SO many other choices out there (that PPs have already offered up!)
Some times it's a cost issue. My LO is too little for school, but I eat the carp out of PB&Js because WIC give me PB and bread, and we have berry bushes and strawberry beds I make jelly from.

I'm really not trying to kill someones kid, but food is expensive. Then when you add in that it has to be portable, you restrict your options even farther.

I feel for mamas that have kids that are so allergic they can't have someones breath on them. But that is a SEVERE allergy. I'll stop, because it will just turn into another one of *those* threads.

Advertisement

Old 06-24-2011, 06:58 PM   #12
mainlobster101
Registered Users
seller
seller

http://lunchinabox.net/

There are so many amazing ideas on here!!!!!!!! If you don't have time for the then I second the recommendations of hummus with veggies/crackers and egg salad sandwiches (super cheap!!). Also, don't know if anyone already mentioned it but what about little meatballs? Stcik an ice pack in to keep it cool or put them in a thermos.
Old 06-24-2011, 09:04 PM   #13
help007
Registered Users

I don't know how many of these will fill your criteria, but Catherine of weelicious.com posts pictures of her kids' packed lunches *every*single*day* here:
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...d=248062301608
help007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 09:02 PM   #14
Computermama
Banned

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakemom View Post
This may not help you right away, but maybe is an idea to bring up to the principal and/or school board. Our small private school has a seperate table in the cafeteria where the children with severe food allergies sit together. That way they are not exposed to the allergens and the other kids still have the right to eat what they like/want. Our school used to be peanut free and this just works out so much better all around as there were constant complaints about the peanut free situation due to so many kids that won't eat anything else for lunch.
There is no cafeteria - I've lived all over the eastern half of this country and the only place i've seen an elementary school cafeteria is on TV. Kids eat their lunches in their classrooms and there are no highly allergic kids in her class. However, kids being kids, at this age they may not wash their hands thoroughly and then touch something at the library or other communal room, and it can come into contact with one of the kids in another grade who IS deathly allergic. For safety sake at this grade level, they just don't want it in the school.
Computermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 09:04 PM   #15
Computermama
Banned

My Mood:

Thanks ladies, a lot of ideas here! I've never had hummus, so neither has DD, it's something I've been meaning to try. Eggs, unfortunately DD's never had much exposure to eggs as I'm extremely picky about how they're done, and DH won't eat them at all. I'll have to start experimenting with them and see what she will and won't eat. I have a feeling eggs might be out - most of her meat issues are textural, I think.
Old 06-26-2011, 06:10 AM   #16
Kriket
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Computermama View Post
There is no cafeteria - I've lived all over the eastern half of this country and the only place i've seen an elementary school cafeteria is on TV.
weird! I live in Ohio and we've always had cafeterias. But Ohio is that middle ground where the West thinks it's east, but the East doesn't think it's east
Old 06-26-2011, 08:54 AM   #17
stephy4632
Licensed Knitter
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

the school should have a special table for the children with allergies to sit and eat at and require all students to wash hands before and after meal time.

With that said my DD`s school sent us home a letter saying that the school had no peanuts due to an allergic few children. I called the school because my DD will NOT eat anything but Pernut butter sandwitch she is super picky and super skinny we have to sneak in pediasure once a day to keep her weight up. The school said the letter was to just make parents aware and told me that as long as my DD washed before and after meals like asked to do and sat at the regular tables she was fine to bring in what ever meal she would eat.

All that to say that you may want to give the school a phone call just to be sure your really not able to bring those other item in on ocasion. I know when my YDD starts school I won`t have any issues because she will eat everything under the sun but my ODD is total opposite and those allergies prohibing her eatting would have devistated her to the point we would have had to change schools.
stephy4632 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 09:14 AM   #18
crystalanne79
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I just want to say that I'm so jealous of the variety all of your kids will eat! It's pretty much cheese or ham sandwiches for my dd and then we make dinner be a nice healthy meal with slightly more variety.

crystalanne79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 02:19 PM   #19
Dandelion
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
My DS is nut, egg, and seafood allergic and he eats just about anything I give him. He isn't thrilled with pickles. Our lunches generally are fruit, cheese, sometimes sunbutter sandwiches, or left overs. Something he loves is tortilla roll ups. I put cream cheese in them and whatever we have on hand...lunch meat, shredded carrots, cucumbers, avocado. Yogurt with fruit and Graham crackers with sunbutter are also favorites.
, ,

Last edited by Dandelion; 06-26-2011 at 02:22 PM.
Dandelion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 03:30 PM   #20
Computermama
Banned

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriket View Post
weird! I live in Ohio and we've always had cafeterias. But Ohio is that middle ground where the West thinks it's east, but the East doesn't think it's east
This country meaning Canada. I forget not everyone can see sigs.