Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-27-2011, 12:46 PM   #1
caschoell
Registered Users
seller

Post toddler skin help???

I have cloth diapered my 2.5 year old since she was a month old. We currently use the bumgenius elementals, cloth wipes with CJ's carcass wash, and cj's butter when needed. I wash in rockin greens with an extra rinse, do a monthly ammonia bouncer formula, strip with dawn as per bumgenius instructions, and soak overnight every other week in rockin greens also for buildup. I figure this should be keeping my diapers free of buildup of detergent and ammonia. The diapers seem fine on my two month old, she just gets redness from moisture that disappears when her diaper is removed and she airdries.

My problem is my toddler. Her diapers smell so strongly of ammonia. If she sleeps late she has what is like a burn around her outer labia. She cries when I wash her. It goes away with disposables. Then when I put her back in cloth, it comes back. Also what appears in cloth are pimple like spots on her pubis. They are red and raised with white heads. These also dry and go away when she is in disposables. I don't know what to do!!!

My toddler also has had eczema in her inner elbows since she was about 6 months, it gets better and worse, and when it bothers her I use cortisone cream. My doc thinks she has a food sensitivity, I"ve taken her off of milk but it isn't getting better, it's getting worse! I wash everything in the house in rockin greens, and do an extra rinse on all her clothes and linens. (I've also used Allens and a couple other cd detergents, none seem better or worse).

So, can anyone give me help???!! What should I do with her? Should I put her in sposies? Should I change detergents? SHould I get her allergy tested?

Advertisement

caschoell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 12:57 PM   #2
HaleysMommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
My older daughter had this while my younger did not.

For us it was unclean diapers, and I'm sad to rspoetwthat RnG was the issue. My diapers wers not getting clean and my children had ammonia burn!

My older daughter is now in sposies at night (she's been day trained for 16 months) and since I switched detergent my younger daughter hasn't had a single issue.

I have pics iwcan share.

We also have a long list of food allergies. Are you sure you've removed all hidden dairy?
HaleysMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 01:05 PM   #3
nonipie
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: toddler skin help???

Have you tried bleach?

ISO:MM Optimus Prime, MM Time Lord and Supreme Dalek
nonipie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 01:17 PM   #4
poppan
Registered Users
seller

I would change detergents. I doubt it's build up--more likely the dipes need to be sanitized, and you are not the first person who used RnG who's had this problem. I would soak in very hot water (as in, add boiling water to hottest tap water) with a generous scoop of a detergent with enzymes (non-Ultra Tide powder if you can find it) and a generous scoop of oxiclean (actual oxiclean brand works better for me than Oxobrite or generics). Then wash on the longest hottest cycle again with a generous scoop of detergent, add boiling water if it's a TL, sanitize wash if it's an FL. Then 1-2 more hot or warm wash cycles without detergent to give it a really thorough rinse.

After that I would try a commercial/regular laundry detergent, with enzymes (I prefer powder), and use to the 1 line, and see how it goes. You may need to adjust the amount up or down. RnG works for some people but it does not work for a lot of other people... I think you might be in the second group.
Old 06-27-2011, 01:26 PM   #5
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonipie View Post
Have you tried bleach?
This. You shouldn't have to be stripping every month. That really stinks hun! So sorry you are going through this. I would deff look into changing deterts too. Maby whatever you were using before the switch. I have had awsome luckw/arm and hammer and tide. Only stripped once in 6 yrs. That was because I was learning how to use my new machine. Good luck!!
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
sarahannecloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 03:11 PM   #6
Mommyplunder
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I agree with the PPs. I had that issue too for a while (the amonia burn and clean diapers still stank) and i stripped them and changed detergents and it's better now. It's sucks but sometimes you have to find the just right detergent for you because what may work for one won't work for another. GL and I hope you get this cleared up.
I am now blessed to be a SAHM to my 3 LOs R (1/1/99), E (4/7/02) and L (4/8/09) and very lucky to be with the love of my life where not only is he the father to my children but my best friend and hero. I follow a celtic pagan tradition and I'm becoming crunchier by the day. I enjoy knitting, sewing and making things with my hands.
Mommyplunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 03:22 PM   #7
ThreeLittleCubs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

If the diapers stink... they aren't getting clean. RnG gave us HORRIBLE stink issues. Hate the stuff.
ThreeLittleCubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 07:19 PM   #8
caschoell
Registered Users
seller

Okay looks like I need to try another detergent for the diapers. What does everyone recommend for a deep cleaning detergent that is gentle enough for very sensitive skin and eczema?
caschoell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 07:28 PM   #9
ShannonJ
Registered Users
seller

We had a very similar problem to this recently. I was getting so frustrated, especially when the her bumps and redness would disappear with disposables. I just had to get more aggressive with the diapers so we used bleach. I use RnG too, and I guess it's just not strong enough. I think i will switch to tide when we run out, I've read alot of mom's are pleased with it. oh, and I did a cold rinse first, took the dipes out, and then a wash with about 1/4 cup of bleach. Add the bleach and let it agitate in the water and then add your diapers back. After that I did the normal wash routine. I'm no pro, this is just what worked for us. Good luck!

Last edited by ShannonJ; 06-27-2011 at 07:30 PM.
ShannonJ is offline   Reply With Quote