Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-09-2011, 02:24 PM   #1
.:karen:.
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Swim diapers and EBF baby poop?

Having never used reusable swim diapers on DD 1, I just ordered a Charlie Banana swim diaper for my new DD for $10 from Target after doing some research and reading good reviews.

But while I'm not planning on really putting her in the pool that much this year (she'll still be a bit young), I'm still a little concerned about EBF poop being contained by any swim diaper. And none seem to have double leg gussets or anything. Would be interested in anyone's thoughts on this aspect.

(And sorry if this was asked before... I did a search but didn't come up with anything.)

Advertisement

.:karen:. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 04:02 PM   #2
delore
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Swim diapers and EBF baby poop?

This is something I've wondered about too. We didn't take DD to a public pool until recently and her poo isn't super runny anymore. But how in the world can any diaper contain EBF poo in the water??
Old 05-09-2011, 04:09 PM   #3
BekahM
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't think any swim diaper (disposable or reusable) will contain runny poo in water. I took DD swimming (used a very thin cotton swim diaper my mom made for her), but she always poo right after she nursed so I just put a diaper on her right before I nursed her, changed her after the poo, put back on the swim diaper and went back to swimming!
Old 05-23-2011, 01:42 PM   #4
Kenner82
Registered Users
seller

I'm seeking the same information! I have a 3 month old who will be taking a vacation with us to Arizona in July, so it'd be great to take him to the indoor pool to cool off! I've heard good things about swim diapers, but I'm not sure how they'd do with runny breastfed poop - won't it just wash right out? But then why do they even SELL swim diapers for newborns?
Kenner82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 01:50 PM   #5
PerfectFifth
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BekahM View Post
I don't think any swim diaper (disposable or reusable) will contain runny poo in water. I took DD swimming (used a very thin cotton swim diaper my mom made for her), but she always poo right after she nursed so I just put a diaper on her right before I nursed her, changed her after the poo, put back on the swim diaper and went back to swimming!
I wish my baby were that predictable! :P
PerfectFifth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 03:11 PM   #6
Kenner82
Registered Users
seller

So has anybody tried a swim diaper yet or have additional feedback? We're taking our baby to an indoor pool area for the first time this weekend, and they don't even MAKE disposable swim diapers in his size (he's 4.5 months but not quite 13 pounds - why are the SMALLEST ones starting at 16 pounds??) so I need to do SOMETHING
Old 06-27-2011, 03:14 PM   #7
thermophile
Registered Users

I started taking ds to a pool when he was 4 months old wearing a bummis small swim diap. it worked fine-I'm sure he didn't poop that time but he definitely pooped several times (different occasions not several times on one swim ) while swimming while still ebf'd
thermophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 03:43 PM   #8
doulamomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

I've had a few different brands of swim diapers, and 3 kids swimming in a pool quite often while still ebf. Now, its our own pool so not anything I'm hugely worried about, but we've never had any laeks. All the swim dipes we've used have pretty tight elastic on the legs. Sposie swim dipes are junk imo. Also, all my babes very rarely poo in the water.
Old 06-27-2011, 11:44 PM   #9
Kenner82
Registered Users
seller

I'm headed to a baby store near me tomorrow that sells cloth swim diapers - any tips on which ones work best? I've got a baby with chicken legs, if that makes any difference!