Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-30-2011, 05:30 AM   #1
MaAzCaMDVa
Registered Users
seller

Understanding wool - need help

Help me understand how you use wool during the day. How do you dress your child? Does the cover serve the purpose of pants/shorts? I've tried a wool cover under sleep n' plays (aka pajamas worn during the day) and they're damp. Am I just not changing frequently enough?

I think I have a handle on wool at night. I use, and love, a Loveybums interlock or a Disana cover at night with a t-shirt or long-sleeve when the weather is appropriate for bare legs. And, we have some longies (one with feet) for cooler weather. This makes sense, though the sheets are a bit damp after a long night.

How do you use wool successfully? I like how it breathes and how cool it keeps them, so want to maximize this in summer.

TIA!

Advertisement

MaAzCaMDVa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 06:05 AM   #2
Angel89411
Banned

Re: Understanding wool - need help

I have not used it myself yet, but what I have seen you can do wool as pants, shorts, skirts, etc to be worn as actual bottoms or you can use wool covers to use under clothes.

As far as things getting wet, I would say maybe compression leaks? You should be changing about every 2 hours (for young babies, anyway).
Angel89411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 07:31 AM   #3
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaAzCaMDVa View Post
Help me understand how you use wool during the day. How do you dress your child? Does the cover serve the purpose of pants/shorts? I've tried a wool cover under sleep n' plays (aka pajamas worn during the day) and they're damp. Am I just not changing frequently enough?I have used some of the wool wraps under cloths with no problems, you can also use the shorties and longies as the outer garmets. Maby this happened because it wasn't lanolized enough or the dipe wasn't absorbent enough or needed to be changed. (wow, run on???/LOL)

I think I have a handle on wool at night. I use, and love, a Loveybums interlock or a Disana cover at night with a t-shirt or long-sleeve when the weather is appropriate for bare legs. And, we have some longies (one with feet) for cooler weather. This makes sense, though the sheets are a bit damp after a long night.You may need to relanolize or up the absorbency of the dipe.

How do you use wool successfully? I like how it breathes and how cool it keeps them, so want to maximize this in summer. While you can go weeks without washing or lanolizing, I do it every week and a half. I wash with baby soap inthe sink w/ warm water and relanolize using the stovetop method. This ensures all the fibers get lanolized. I use a large pot and heat water, them whisk in 1 inch of lansinoah lanolin and a couple drops of eo, we use lavender. Then let them soak. I hang over the rail of the portch to dry.

TIA!
HTH!!
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
sarahannecloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 08:07 AM   #4
nonipie
Registered Users
seller
seller

During the day in the Summer we use soakers and/or shorties and a shirt. If I want her to wear regular clothes I put a wrap like Imse Vimse or Nikky on. DH routinely puts her in a soaker and then puts pants or shorts on over that but it's bulkier than I like so I use the wraps. In the Winter we were doing a lot of longies but mostly soakers under fleece rompers and pants since it was so miserably cold. This Winter since she's walking now, we will be doing more longies. Typically I don't let her get soaked enough to make the wool wet so we can reuse the same set most of the day but if not then I just rotate between two.

ISO:MM Optimus Prime, MM Time Lord and Supreme Dalek
nonipie is offline   Reply With Quote