Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-28-2011, 05:17 PM   #1
mimieliza
Registered Users

Would you use Flips w/ Stay Dry inserts on a trip?

We are going to visit my ILs in Hawaii for two weeks next month, and I am considering taking Flips w/ Stay Dry inserts rather than using sposies while we are there. We would still use sposies on the plane.

We will stay with my ILs in their home, so we will have access to a washer/dryer. Also, the Flips and liners would dry sooooo quickly on the line outside as well.

We are very limited on how much luggage we can take as we have to pay for each checked piece. So any diaper I take has to pack extremely efficiently. I thought maybe 12 inserts and 4 covers would pack down really small. We could probably get by washing every 2 days (we would use sposies at night).

Is this a crazy idea? I just bought 3 Stay Dry inserts and I love them. And as you can probably imagine, sposies are ridiculously expensive on the islands.

Advertisement

mimieliza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 05:27 PM   #2
kissum
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:
Re: Would you use Flips w/ Stay Dry inserts on a trip?

I'm thinking of doing the same, only going to pack 6 covers (my little bitty still has tons of messy EBF poos) and 18 inserts.
kissum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 05:38 PM   #3
mimieliza
Registered Users

My toddler is pretty much on a once-a-day schedule for poop - when it happens, it'll get on the cover, but only one cover dirtied each day should be manageable.
mimieliza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 05:42 PM   #4
nonipie
Registered Users
seller
seller

No I wouldn't take the stay-dry insert but I would and have taken flats and Flip covers with some disposable inserts. Flats are much more forgiving of different wash routines and water than microfiber and I think are more absorbent anyway. Fleece liners would easily add a stay-dry layer.

ISO:MM Optimus Prime, MM Time Lord and Supreme Dalek
nonipie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 08:06 AM   #5
magic5qcrew
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm contemplating doing the same thing when we go on vacation. It's either that or FB with hemp doublers. I like the Flips and the stay dry combo, but I also have to add a BIG fleece liner or my boy gets a rash where ever it touches his skin.
Old 06-29-2011, 08:19 AM   #6
alaskamum
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

If the stay dry flips work for you at home, I think they would be a great option for traveling.
If I was washing only stay dry flips (maybe hand wash the covers, or wash them separately) I would bleach them every time I washed them.
And if it were me, I'd take 18 inserts/6 covers if I wash going to wash every other day. Just to be safe.
and M
alaskamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 08:26 AM   #7
ReadingRenee
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I really like my Flip stay drys but I find they are not absorbent enough by themselves. Also prone to compression leaks. (like all microfiber) We use padfolded flats which are much more absorbent for us.

But if they work great for you at home then I think it would be a great option.
ReadingRenee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 09:00 AM   #8
mrstilly
Registered Users
seller

Yes! I LOVE our flips. DS is only 3 months, but is already 26" and 16 pounds. He's been wearing his flips since he was 14-15lbs, around 7 weeks. I love the staydry and have not ever had leaks with them. We use organics for nights for a little extra, since DS sttn. The flips dry quickly and would be pretty easy and small to pack.
mrstilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 09:31 AM   #9
bolstamomma
Registered
seller

My Mood:

I just went on a week-long beach trip with 2 10 hour car rides to & from. I debated for weeks what to bring and ultimately I just went with sposies. Also I started using them a day before so that we didn't have laundry issues before leaving!
I was happy with my decision b/c it made public (or emergency) changes a breeze & I didn't have to deal with carting around wet/stnky dipes. We were at the beach for 9 hour every day .. restuarants at every meal...it was truly a vacation and i believe having sposies made it even more relaxing. At night I lined the sposie with a preemie prefold for extra 'sare' absorbancy. At first I was feeling guilty about this decision but I believe being flexible is the best way to live! Enjoy your trip!