Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-29-2011, 04:12 PM   #1
athensmama
Registered Users
seller

New to cloth - strange stain question

Hi mamas,
I'm hoping to start cloth diapering with my 16 month old son, and I've acquired a small stash of Bum Genius AIOs - I think they are 3.0s? They were free (just need elastic replaced) from a local mama, so yay!

BUT. on some of the diapers, there is a strange dotted dark brown stain on the inside. Can you take a look and tell me - do you think it's mold or mildew? and how would you recommend getting it out? these pictures were taken after a cold rinse and 24 hours in the sun. thanks for helping a newbie

Advertisement

athensmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 04:42 PM   #2
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: New to cloth - strange stain question

It deff looks like mold to me. I would wash them all with 1/4-1/2 cup bleach to kill it and stop the growth. Not sure if the staind would come out or not though. I would still use them !! Great find hun!
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
sarahannecloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 05:32 PM   #3
ho11yb
Registered Users
seller

It does look like mildew to me. I'd try some bleach (even BG recommends using it occasionally). Hopefully that will do the trick!

Blame the typos on the iPad!
ho11yb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 08:47 AM   #4
athensmama
Registered Users
seller

thanks so much. I've had them out in the sun for almost 2 days now so I think I'm going to try washing them. Do you have recommendations for a good detergent for BGs? I was thinking of doing hot wash with detergent (maybe planet or seventh generation delicate care) + 1/4 cup of bleach.

thank you again!
Old 06-30-2011, 09:24 AM   #5
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have used arm and hammer liquid, tide original liquid, all f and c liquid, and am currently using drops. Love them all!
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
Old 06-30-2011, 09:30 AM   #6
fantasia1117
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have some BG pockets with a similar stain on the suede cloth linear and I am pretty sure it is from diaper rash cream! I use a cloth friendly cream, but these dipes were used. I have not figured out how to get the stain out though! Soaking and sunning don't seem to work. Bleach and Oxyclean don't work either. I just live with it! But if your stain is like mine I am almost positive it's diaper rash cream!
WOHM Mama to my two boys DS#1 (12/30/2007) and DS#2 (10/7/2010). Married to my amazing DH since 7/23/2005.
fantasia1117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 09:37 AM   #7
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

But it's the outside of the dipe correct? It looks Exactly like the start of mildew/mold growth we used to get on our wiped in the warmer before we had to switch things up. I had a bib do that too in the hamper. Just IMHO.

Just wanted to add: At least the bleach would stop the growth and prevent spreading. I don't think it would remove the stain.

Last edited by sarahannecloud9; 06-30-2011 at 09:38 AM.
Old 06-30-2011, 09:45 AM   #8
athensmama
Registered Users
seller

no, these stains are on the inside. I don't mind how it looks, honestly, I just want to make sure I'm not putting mold on my son's bottom, ha! I think I'm going to do the bleach just to make sure it's dead if it is mold. thanks ladies

Last edited by athensmama; 06-30-2011 at 09:46 AM. Reason: fixin' my grammar ;)