Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-02-2011, 05:48 PM   #1
Chadtelle
Registered Users

Question for you mommas?

A little bit of background....we had a rocky start with bf. My left side has always been a challenge to get DS to latch. We have seen a LC and she assessed us and he has a tounge tie and my nipple on my left is flat. He has been gaining weight and having lots of wet/poopy diapers.

My DS is 7 weeks old and we EBF. The past few nights before bed I have just started pumping. Last night and the night before I have noticed that I haven't been getting much out of my left side, or any at all really. Last night I started with my left side and pumped for about 10 minutes and got a few drops and never felt a let down. I switched the pump over the the right side and with in minutes I felt my milk let down and I easily pumped 2 ounces. Then I thought I would try the left side again, pumped for another 10 minutes and still only got drops.

When I am nursing him you can hear him swallowing like crazy on the right side, but not nearly as many swallows on the left.

My question is, is it possible to have your milk dry up on only one side? And is there any way I can get more milk out of my left side? I have been putting him on the left side to start with every feeding but he really has no interest on that side and fusses right away until i put him on the right. I am kind worried I'm gonna have to start with formula or am I able to continue feeding him with just one breast?

Advertisement

Chadtelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 06:22 PM   #2
eliz7
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
First off, congrats on 7 weeks! The beginning is the toughest. Second you CAN provide enough milk with just one side, but with some work you can get production up on the other side. You will have to pump on the left as much as possible. I would try to pump at every feed you nurse on the right. I always found it easier to pump while nursing. The pumping will help draw out your flat nipple as well as increase supply. I would also keep trying to get him to nurse well on the left but if he fusses too much move him to the other. Also try a nipple shell that you wear when not nursing, it also helps to draw out flat nipples.
You are so early in this that your supply should come back in the left with some work, but remember one side is enough for him to thrive on
Happy to be again after a bit of a break
eliz7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 07:27 PM   #3
Ehlane
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Question for you mommas?

Everything that PP said and one more suggestion, which you may have already tried. See if he enjoys some different nursing positions on the left. My DS, now 13 months, will still only nurse in the football hold on the right side, which is my under-producing side. Gets trickier to football them as they get older, but I've found it works just fine as long as we're on a bed or other flat surface. GL, Mama!