Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-23-2007, 02:04 AM   #1
ClothDiaperingMama
Registered Users
seller

Tell me what to do with using Lemon Juice on stains.

I have read that you can use lemon juice on stains on diapers. How would you do that? Do you mix it with water, soak it, put some on straight and rub in, etc? I don't mean to sound dense.. but how does that work? Will it only work if you do that then put them in the sun? What if it is always raining where you live.. then what?

Will lemon juice cause damage of any kind to the diaper or PUL?

Thanks for any clarification/help!

Advertisement

Old 06-23-2007, 02:05 AM   #2
ClothDiaperingMama
Registered Users
seller

Re: Tell me what to do with using Lemon Juice on stains.

I forgot to add.. they are Fuzzi Bunz Pocket diapers if that matters.

Thanks!
Old 06-23-2007, 06:21 AM   #3
beenwaitingalongtime
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Lemon juice, in combo w/ the sun, is AMAZING for bleaching out stains.
You should use fresh lemons (I got green stains when I used lemon concentrate in a pinch) and squeeze it directly onto your stains. The diaper should be damp, as the drying process is important.
I'm only around to sun my diapers in the summer when I'm out of work, so they stay stained the rest of the year. I tend to do the prewash/soak, then pull the stained dipes, add lemon and hang outside. Once they're dry, I throw them back into the wash for the remaining rounds.
Harmless on dipes, only works w/ sun as far as I know. Some say they can sun in the house near the windows (I don't get any direct sunlight, so I wouldn't know.) In the Winter, the stains stay
Old 06-23-2007, 08:09 AM   #4
Mommyof2Princesses
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

yeah real lemons work fantastic where as lemon concentrate didn't really do anything for the dipes. But maybe others had better luck.
Mommyof2Princesses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 10:14 AM   #5
crunchymomof3
Registered Users
Formerly: mommy2boys0608
seller

My Mood:

as pp mentioned real lemons are the best ... i do the same as bwl get them wet squeeze it on and put outside in the sun
crunchymomof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 10:46 AM   #6
ClothDiaperingMama
Registered Users
seller

DH is bringing home some fresh lemons!

I do still have the other question... what if it is always raining/gloomy where you live? Do I need to try bleaching them all instead or will lemon juice work anyway if it gets "hot" kinda thing?

DH just walked in with the lemons...

Thanks Mamas!
Old 06-23-2007, 11:28 AM   #7
beenwaitingalongtime
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think you need the sun's UV rays, not just heat. I mean, if you think about it...if you leave something outside for a long time, it fades and bleaches out. If you dry it over and over, it'll fade a tad, but nothing like it will in the sun.
(I knew I'd stepped over the line into full granola mama once I found myself picking lemons off our tree and squeezing them onto CDs to allow the sun to clean them. Have fun! )
As for the eternally gloomy place--Like I said, we have lots of sun in CA, but I'm never home during the day to take advantage of it, so we just leave them stained till the summers when I'm off from school. Stains won't make any difference on your dipes functionally and if you're thinking resale value, those stains will come off just as well if you sun later as if you do it constantly.
Most people will use a touch of bleach occasionally to strip their dipes, but I personally won't put the stuff in w/ my diapers (I'm still getting up the nerve to run some thru the washer w/o the dipes.) When I first got my JB hemparoo inserts for FBs, they held onto infant BF poo stains like it was their job. I used to spray a little Dreft stain remover onto them before putting them in the wash. They stopped holding stains so much once they'd been prepped enough, tho.