Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-02-2011, 02:45 PM   #11
Greenbabybottoms
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: mastitus.. treat without going to the doc?

I've treated mastitis many times with raw garlic (it's a natural antibiotic). I do 1 clove, chopped up into pill size pieces and then just swallow it like a pill, every hour until symptoms are almost gone then I stretch it out to 1 clove every 2-4 hours for 24-48 hours after symptoms are gone. Also vitamin C and belladonna, although I can't remember the dosage for the belladonna.

Advertisement

Old 07-03-2011, 08:58 PM   #12
ShakyMommy
Registered Users

Re: mastitus.. treat without going to the doc?

Hope you continue to feel better. I went to urgent care the other day for mastitis (second time to have it in the last 6 weeks). I hope yours continues to clear up, but if it comes back in a few weeks go to the doctor quickly! My first time to have it, it cleared up on its own. This time, it was worse, and even after 2 days on antibiotics I was still running a fever. So if it comes back, don't mess around with it! You don't want to end up with an abscess!
ShakyMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 09:12 PM   #13
blushingmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Drink plenty of fluids. You can make a bath for the affected breast of marshmallow root. You use 2 Tbs of powdered marshmallow root in 1 quart of boiling water. Let it cool and steep overnight. Then add this infusion to a sinkful of warm water and immerse and massage your breast. this should help with the pain and stop excess milk accumulation. You can use aloe on the breast and calendula cream on the nipples for pain as well.

The main thing is emptying the breast fully. I would pump on that side even after the baby has eaten.

If none of this helps you should be able to call the ob who delivered your baby and get an rx for antibiotics.