Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-02-2011, 06:19 AM   #1
ahenson
Registered Users
seller

Bottlefeeding trouble for EBF 7 week old

OK, so we had no trouble with DS1 taking a bottle. I started pumping at three weeks and we gave him a bottle a couple feeding a day before I went back to work full time at six weeks. No problems, and we used Evenflo glass bottles.

With DS2, we knew I would be working only part time at home so we didn't start bottlefeeding regularly. I only have to go in for meetings every so often for a couple hours right now, btw. We are having a really hard time getting him to take a bottle at all. He just squirms around with his mouth open, looking for my breast until he gets super upset. He also won't take a binky.

We have tried the Evenflo, Tommee Tippee, Medela, First Years (the one supposed to be best for BFing) and he just won't latch on. We have a Born Free we are going to try today.

Any similar experience or suggestions? He gets about 4-5 ounces per BFing session right now (we go to a weekly support group at the hospital), so I don't know how well cup or dropper feeding would work. TIA!

Advertisement

Old 07-02-2011, 10:59 AM   #2
teacherchalise
Registered Users

I had the same problem with my 2nd. Its so frustrating Search the BF support forum for my thread. I got kits of great suggestions. It was in may. Called "refusing a bottle" GL mama!
teacherchalise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 08:13 PM   #3
ayer79
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Bottlefeeding trouble for EBF 7 week old

I'm having the same problem with my 4mo old. I should have done more bottles, but it was so much more work and I love nursing. The downside is I now cannot leave him for more than 2hrs! It's making it hard to have any alone time.
Old 07-02-2011, 08:53 PM   #4
TwoBoysAndAWeePrincess
Registered Users
seller

We ended up with that problem with DD when she was a couple months old (2-3). I'm a SAHM and just didn't think about it. We ended up just going on our date nights after she went to bed in the evenings lol. Now, she is 9.5 months, and gets very diluted apple juice with her lunch, so I can leave her for a while in the middle of the day if I need to run an errand or whatever. Otherwise, I'm home so she can nurse!

We are working on the sippy right now, but she just bites it to get the juice out lol.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Old 07-03-2011, 11:34 PM   #5
hippieintraining
Registered Users
seller

I could have written this post! DS took any nipple we gave him. DD is refusing everything. She's 11 weeks now, and we've been trying every few days for about a month (the amount of breastmilk that has gone down my sink makes me want to cry... now we only put about 1.5oz in each bottle to try).

Same thing, she won't even latch on. We did have some success with a Tommee Tippee the other day, she had about 1/2 oz (YES she finally latched) but we we tried today, she just SCREAMED.

I have no advice just some hugs!! We're just going to keep trying...

My ISO/IHA
hippieintraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 02:12 PM   #6
shreck
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Playtex bottles with Naturalatch Latex nipples always works for us. It must be the latex nipples though, not the silicone.
shreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 02:36 PM   #7
omahonycm
Registered Users
seller
seller

Oh yes, we had many a "bottle battle". I went back to work when she was 3 mo, so it was neccessary, but difficult. I tried every bottle, almost. We finally settled on MAM (you can buy on Amazon). AMAZING bottle! Some people complain of leaks, but you just have to assemble correctly. What I liked/like still is that her mouth looks the same on the bottle as it did on me. Good luck - this is not easy!
omahonycm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 03:32 PM   #8
Greenebean214
Registered Users
seller

My DD is 7 wks too and she *just* took a bottle the other night. She latched right on to Dr.Brown's, after trying a few others. It wasn't easy, but now I know she has taken one, she should be able to in the future if we offer once a week or so. Good luck! Just keep on trying!

Welcomed Liberty Grace May 12, 2011!
Greenebean214 is offline   Reply With Quote