Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-04-2011, 09:03 PM   #1
Mom2evie
Registered Users
seller

Does trouble with 1st mean trouble 2nd time around?

We're thinking about having #2 soon and I really want to breastfeed this time around. With DD it was a complete disaster. I had hardly any supply. I was induced at 38 weeks for preeclampsia and ended up a csection. I expected my milk to come in day 3-5 but never noticed a breast change. In 6 weeks DD went from 6lbs 14oz to 5lbs 2 oz. I saw a lactation consultant who weighed before and after a feed and DD only took in less than 1oz after a 40 minute feed. She started me on fenugreek and for the first time after taking it I felt breast tenderness between feeds. However DD was constantly screaming, I think I was getting PPD and the stress was too much. My breaking point was when I pumped and only got a teaspoon. It came to a point where I wasn't enjoying my daughter because I was so focused on this stressor so I gave up and after a few nights of crying over it I decided it was the best decision at that time.
So my question is, any of you have a horrendous experience the first time around but everything worked out with baby #2?? I really want to do this!

Advertisement

I'm a CDing, vaxing on schedule, bottle feeding mama
Mom2evie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 09:21 PM   #2
willownz
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Does trouble with 1st mean trouble 2nd time around?

Yes I did. It wasn't easy though and took alot of work. I had different issues to you though. My milk came in fine but I schedule fed from day 1 instead of demand feeding, he never latched properly and I pumped from the end of week 1 until I weaned him at 2 weeks old. I then got bacterial septacemia (nearly died) and a breast abcess (in hospital) they then gave me medication to stop my milk.
Having #2 was like starting again. We had to learn again together. Latching hurt until she was 12 weeks old, even when doing it correctly. I finger fed her from week 1-5 and when I expressed I used a hospital grade pump (which we hired). I made sure she fed as soon as she was born and whenever she cried I fed her, I spent the first few weeks after her birth feeding ans sleeping around the clock, we did nothing else. I pumped for those weeks due to nipple damage, but I stiil tried to feed her from the breast as well. I ended up feeding her for 9 months.
#3 was when everything clicked. The first few weeks still hurt but it was soooooooo much easier overall. Still feeding her at 14 months and I have never needed a pump.
Old 07-04-2011, 09:49 PM   #3
VeganCupcake
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Does trouble with 1st mean trouble 2nd time around?

I have heard a lot of stories of women who had serious difficulties with their first baby and aren't able to continue, but then go on to have a very successful time breastfeeding subsequent babies. I think a lot of it has to do with being a bit more experienced, knowing where to look for help, seeking help early and often, and maybe doing some preparation in advance.

In your situation, I think I would read about IGT and other causes of low supply, like PCOS, and then see what is recommended to help with those. Have you read the book The Breastfeeding Mother's Guide to Making More Milk? I have heard it's a fantastic book.
Old 07-04-2011, 10:21 PM   #4
Mom2evie
Registered Users
seller

Thank you mamas! The lactation consultant I saw said in her 30 years of doing this she's seen direct correlation between low supply and preeclampsia but to her knowledge no study had been done. I appreciate your feedback!!

I'm a CDing, vaxing on schedule, bottle feeding mama
Mom2evie is offline   Reply With Quote