Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-04-2011, 12:52 PM   #1
MaAzCaMDVa
Registered Users
seller

Block feeding...now low supply?

In an effort to address my overactive letdown because it was gagging my DS, causing much fussiness and gas and ultimately green poop, I went to block feeding (4 hours for each side) for the past several days. It now seems as though have very little milk. For example, 1.5 hours after nursing I was only able to pump 0.5 oz from that side. DS is on the breast far longer, sucking but not swallowing leading me to believe he's still hungry. I've now gone to offering the 2nd breast and he usually is still hungry.

I've always been a one-side per feeding nurser, so now I'm not sure if I'm producing just what he needs but he has to nurse both sides to get it or if my supply is low. The good news is that my OALD is solved; he's not choking or gagging and his poop is yellow.

Does this seem normal? Anyone else try block feeding to address OALD and had a change in your supply?

TIA!

Advertisement

Old 07-04-2011, 02:31 PM   #2
cacasey1981
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Block feeding...now low supply?

A side effect of block feeding is a reduction in supply. Just use the both sides method and you should be okay as long as the lo is satisfied. And remember that the pump is never a good way to measure supply.
Wife to Brandon - my high school sweetheart (Oct 00), delaying vaccs as best we can and WOH parents to Trent (Nov 08) our intact, formerly ERF, slightly son and Lilly (May 12) our , maybe one day , and (for now) daughter (my hypnobaby).
cacasey1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 02:31 PM   #3
ChelseaGirl7
Registered Users

I haven't had a huge change in supply from block feeding, but pumping isn't a very good way to judge supply. Some people (even with OS) cannot pump much ever. Is he fussy still after nursing? Is he having enough wet and poopy diapers? I personally wouldn't be worried unless he is showing other signs of low supply. most babies like to comfort nurse some and don't swallow much while comfort nursing. HTH!
Old 07-05-2011, 06:39 PM   #4
MoBaby
Registered Users
seller

I doubt it. After a while of block feeding, your supply is supposed to regulate (although mine didn't really seem to until about 7 months!) We did months of block feeding and after a while we fell into a rhythm where we would nurse one side at a time in the morning feedings, but as the day went on, he would want some of the other side and the last feeding of the day, he would drain both. Sometimes I would think my supply was low and let him nurse both sides at each feeding and over supply green foamy poop would return after a couple of days. I think he was really whining because the strong flow he was used to had slowed down and he didn't want to wait for another let down on the same side!
MoBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 07:48 PM   #5
MaAzCaMDVa
Registered Users
seller

Thank you all for your input and thoughts. As an update, DS nursed all night last night. Just about every 45 min to 1.5 hours from 7 pm to 7 am. Today he nursed every 1.5-2 hours, which is normal, but he's sucking so hard my nipples are starting to get sore. And tonight, nursing him to sleep was PAINFUL as he seemed like he was trying and trying to get more milk but wasn't. We'll see how tonight goes. If it still seems like I'm running low, I may start pumping to trigger a bit more production. I used fenugreek with DD with a little bit of success, but used motillum(?sp) with much success. That was mostly due to pumping and the stress of returning to work. I'm OK with fenugreek, but would like to avoid the meds, if possible. Bring on the oatmeal!