Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-24-2011, 11:32 PM   #11
aumismommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Hmmm Ds was very fussy while nursing. Ended up that he had a tongue and lip tie. Not saying that's your situation just saying it's not necessarily reflux from your description.

Advertisement

ISO: Ring Sling WC, Soft Star Shoes (brand) shoes size 8/9 (toddler) or infant
aumismommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 01:23 AM   #12
redhairboy
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Crying and fussing while nursinf

Ik my lo has a tongue tie that wasn't noticed until his 2 month check and the Dr. said we shouldn't do anything and I have noticed he is able to stick his tongue out more ect. He also has been a very spit up baby from day 1. He still vomits a few times a day but it doesn't seem to bother him. Hes been gaining weight well. Hmmm the 2 fit my lo. I wonder if that is what is bothering him.
Old 06-25-2011, 01:06 PM   #13
soon2b3
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Is she teething?
Old 06-25-2011, 05:55 PM   #14
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

Distractible baby syndrome. It's incredibly common, not a reason to ween google Kellymom.com and distractible baby
Old 06-28-2011, 11:37 AM   #15
CallysMommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Silent refluxers DO NOT or rarely spit up. The only way you will know for sure is if you pump, thicken the milk & feed the baby & see if the baby cries or not. You can get samples of a thickener at gelmix.com. I could not breastfeed - had to give baby pumped, thickened milk. No it's not normal but it's a medical condition and if I kept bfing it would have caused long term damage.
CallysMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 06:22 PM   #16
Cosmollh
Registered Users
seller

Wow, this sounds so familiar! DD did the same thing.... She cried, flailed, and cluster fed ALL THE TIME! Not only did she have reflux and mild colic, but my milk production died off too. Apparently, reflux can lead to ineffective nursing. I went to the doc and a lactation consultant, but she stopped gaining wt and I had to give up BF. sadly I tried pumping (and a ton of other things) to increase my supply but nothing worked. Hope things work out better for you and your LO.
Cosmollh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 08:41 PM   #17
jenbo
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mara'sMommy View Post
But during the day it's like an Olympic sport. She constantly pulls off the breast, kicks her legs and flails her arms. She cries and turns her head away, then turns back to latch on and suck for a couple of seconds. Repeat. This can go on for hours if I let it.

I thought it was positioning, so we've tried all different positions. Even when we lay down (like at night) she does this. I'm worried she's not getting enough to eat during the day.
Don't worry mama, you are doing everything right! If you're worried about intake, keep an eye on output -- how many wet diapers she has per day.

My LO is 5 months old and does the same pulling off & on in the daytime hours. Late at night and first thing in the morning, he's very focused on nursing. Your DD might not be colicky or have reflux at all, she could be like my little guy... high tone. His muscles are much more relaxed before the day gets going. I was just reading up on this -- p. 98 in Making More Milk has a short section on hypertonic babies. Positioning is suggested like you're already doing. I'm going to try the hammock-like swinging of baby in a blanket before BFing to soothe and relax his body muscles. Other suggestions are maintaining bent hips and knees to encourage flexion. HTH us both!
jenbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 05:52 AM   #18
CallysMommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Update on the baby mama...I went thru this with my baby & this is why I couldn't nurse. In the UK they give bf infants infant gaviscon, why in the world do we not have it here?? I can send you a box!
CallysMommy is offline   Reply With Quote