Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2011, 10:46 AM   #11
chrissyb0411's Avatar
chrissyb0411
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 34
Re: tongue tie experiences please

Good news! The ENT doctor said he has a mild case of tongue tie and does not recommend surgery especially since he would have to be put under. If it causes problems when he starts solids or with speech she said to have it re-evaluated. Her own daughter had a similar case of tongue tie and she choose not to have it clipped. Then her youngest daughter had a more severe case and she had the surgrery done. I'm glad she has personal experience, not just with patients, because it makes me trust her opinion more. Thanks for everyones posts!

Advertisement

chrissyb0411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 11:59 AM   #12
aumismommy's Avatar
aumismommy
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Between the Pacific and the Snow, Nor Cal
Posts: 1,793
My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissyb0411
Good news! The ENT doctor said he has a mild case of tongue tie and does not recommend surgery especially since he would have to be put under. If it causes problems when he starts solids or with speech she said to have it re-evaluated. Her own daughter had a similar case of tongue tie and she choose not to have it clipped. Then her youngest daughter had a more severe case and she had the surgrery done. I'm glad she has personal experience, not just with patients, because it makes me trust her opinion more. Thanks for everyones posts!
Interesting. Ds was 5mo when his was clipped (I wish we would've found it before then) and he wasnt "put under". They numbed the heck out of it and were super fast. I had him latched on in minutes and nursing was soooo much better. I cry just thinking about that first night afterward and how he literally for the first time drained both breasts and slept so sweetly. Then a few days later was playing with his tongue outside his mouth.
Glad your lo tie is very minor! What a relief!!!
__________________
Natasha - married to my soul's mate Ryan, mama to my heart's songs Aumi born at home in the water 7.14.10 & Livity also born at home in the water and in the caul! 11.28.12


ISO: Ring Sling WC, Soft Star Shoes (brand) shoes size 8/9 (toddler) or infant
aumismommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 12:03 PM   #13
shreck's Avatar
shreck
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 3,664
My Mood:
Re: tongue tie experiences please

My 6th baby was slightly tongue tied too. She also had a high palate, and we struggled with thrush off and on for a few months. She was slow to gain weight and not having many poopy diapers early on, and my nipple would often be misshapen like a tube of lipstick after she would come off after feeds. Latching was difficult for weeks, but I had oversupply and was able to milk it in her. I had some soreness, but it was due to the thrush as once that cleared up the soreness vanished even though the latch remained less than ideal. I had both my mw and pediatrician check her, and neither one thought she had a tongue tie. Like your baby she could stick her tongue out past her lips(barely), but sometimes there was an undeniable heart shape at the tip, though not all the time. And, of course, she didn't do it while at the mw or ped. They kind of blew off her slow weight gain, because it was still within normal limits albeit very low side of normal and she was having plenty of wet diapers and looked healthy and happy otherwise. They explained the lack of poopies by saying she was just efficient at using up the breastmilk so there wasn't much waste. Still, I thought something was off, but just kept plugging along. Nursing was tough for the longest time with her, but it did get better with time. Things started improving around the 6-8wk mark and continued to get better and better. By the time she was 4-5mo she was super chubby and very happy baby. She never had any trouble with solids or speech. She's 6yo now doesn't show any signs whatsoever of tongue tie, no heart shape and can stick her tongue out way past her lips.

Just thought you might like to hear from someone who went through something similar with everything coming out okay with time. Best wishes!
__________________
Happily married 25yrs
dd24 married & expecting her own little girl in March!, dd21, dd17, ds14, dd12, dd9, dd7, ds6, ds3 & ds born 10-8-14
And 3 Angel Babies(1-2010)(9-2010)(9-2013)
shreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 12:03 PM   #14
percussionsmith's Avatar
percussionsmith
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Southern Indiana
Posts: 4,294
My Mood:
Re: tongue tie experiences please

bbl---my 8mo is tt'ed
__________________
Lisa, Wife to Kenny, Mommy to Miah and Z.
Handcrafted Toys and Nursing Necklaces.
percussionsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 08:42 AM   #15
mrstilly's Avatar
mrstilly
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Ithaca, NY
Posts: 321
Re: tongue tie experiences please

They should NOT have to put him under to clip his frenulum. Did the dr say why they would have to? My son was 8 weeks when we clipped his, and it was a very short office procedure with a small amount of local anesthetic.

If you have a forceful letdown, you can try pumping a bit to take the edge off before nursing. But if you are in pain or he is having issues latching, you might want to revisit the tongue tie issue.

DS had a mild to moderate tongue tie. We clipped it around 8 weeks in the dr's office. It was a great decision. He can latch on much better and I have a lot less pain nursing.
mrstilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 06:36 AM   #16
chrissyb0411's Avatar
chrissyb0411
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 34
Re: tongue tie experiences please

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstilly View Post
They should NOT have to put him under to clip his frenulum. Did the dr say why they would have to? My son was 8 weeks when we clipped his, and it was a very short office procedure with a small amount of local anesthetic.

If you have a forceful letdown, you can try pumping a bit to take the edge off before nursing. But if you are in pain or he is having issues latching, you might want to revisit the tongue tie issue.

DS had a mild to moderate tongue tie. We clipped it around 8 weeks in the dr's office. It was a great decision. He can latch on much better and I have a lot less pain nursing.

The doctor didn't say why she would have to use general anesthesia, but I think its just the method at their facility. A lot of doctor's have different methods of doing things. Local anesthesia seems to make a lot more sense in this situation though.
chrissyb0411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 06:51 AM   #17
chrissyb0411's Avatar
chrissyb0411
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 34
Re: tongue tie experiences please

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreck View Post
My 6th baby was slightly tongue tied too. She also had a high palate, and we struggled with thrush off and on for a few months. She was slow to gain weight and not having many poopy diapers early on, and my nipple would often be misshapen like a tube of lipstick after she would come off after feeds. Latching was difficult for weeks, but I had oversupply and was able to milk it in her. I had some soreness, but it was due to the thrush as once that cleared up the soreness vanished even though the latch remained less than ideal. I had both my mw and pediatrician check her, and neither one thought she had a tongue tie. Like your baby she could stick her tongue out past her lips(barely), but sometimes there was an undeniable heart shape at the tip, though not all the time. And, of course, she didn't do it while at the mw or ped. They kind of blew off her slow weight gain, because it was still within normal limits albeit very low side of normal and she was having plenty of wet diapers and looked healthy and happy otherwise. They explained the lack of poopies by saying she was just efficient at using up the breastmilk so there wasn't much waste. Still, I thought something was off, but just kept plugging along. Nursing was tough for the longest time with her, but it did get better with time. Things started improving around the 6-8wk mark and continued to get better and better. By the time she was 4-5mo she was super chubby and very happy baby. She never had any trouble with solids or speech. She's 6yo now doesn't show any signs whatsoever of tongue tie, no heart shape and can stick her tongue out way past her lips.

Just thought you might like to hear from someone who went through something similar with everything coming out okay with time. Best wishes!

My DS is the same with poopy diapers. He had 6-8 per day for the first 4 weeks or so, then he went down to 0-2 per day and is still like that at 11 weeks. That's also the time when streaks of blood started showing up in his stool, but that's another story. Anyway, I was told the same thing that he is efficient at using my breastmilk. The difference with my DS though is that he is gaining well. He's off the chart in height and weight is in the 99th percentile. At times my nipple looks like a tube of lipstick too lol. That's a good description; I never quite knew how to describe it. In the last couple days my milk supply seems to have started to level off so he hasn't been choking my milk down. As a result, better latch and less pain - I hope it continues! Thank you, the story of your daughter is encouraging...I hope my son has the same outcome!
chrissyb0411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 07:02 AM   #18
hullabal98's Avatar
hullabal98
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: TX
Posts: 3,897
My Mood:
Re: tongue tie experiences please

I did not read all the pp. However I was in your similar situation. I noticed it when ds2 was born, but because he latched they would not clip it. Same with pedi. I had already nursed my oldest past a year, and could tell the latch felt wrong. But the pedi and nurses kept telling me it was fine and to wait and see. FF to 6 weeks and we finally decided to clip it. The ENT said it was one of the tighter ones he had seen and it was good we did it. Nursing improved immediately. BUT. My milk supply never recovered because I didn't realize that his suck was inefficient due to the tongue not being able to flex properly against the nipple. In hindsight I could have pumped to boost my supply, but again I didn't realize. So after nursing my oldest for 14 months and now nursing my youngest for 13 months (and still going), I had to actually supplement my second son because my supply wasn't strong enough.

I say do it. even if it isn't a feeding concern, language begins to develop LONG before words are formed. If you do it now, the only person who will remember the tears is you. Your baby will cry, then nurse, and be much happier.
__________________
Cynthia - proud wife, busy mom of 2 boys and a girl!
hullabal98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2005 - 2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.