Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-07-2011, 07:03 AM   #1
bccc624
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Anyone have a preemie before this pregnancy?

Just a little background info. My daughter was born at 35w5d after fighting preterm labor for a while. She dropped and my cervix was "fingertip dilated" at 24weeks. I started active labor at 29-30weeks, at which I got to 2.5cm. I didn't even know I was in labor as I didn't feel the contractions. I was on terbutaline every four hours around the clock from that point right up until I had her. They weren't able to tell me why I had preterm labor, so I don't know what caused it. They did say that any subsequent pregnancies I would have shots to prevent that, but I have since switched practices. I'm currently waiting for a new practice to accept me if they have enough room, so I will see what they say if I am accepted.

I'm just wondering if any of you ladies have went through this, or are going through it this time. My biggest fear is I don't feel contractions. Even when I was in L&D having her, I didn't feel anything really at all until I was 9.5cm. They gave me a shot of something in my spine because there wasn't time for an epidural.

Advertisement

Last edited by bccc624; 07-07-2011 at 07:04 AM.
bccc624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 08:05 AM   #2
tuckergirl
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Anyone have a preemie before this pregnancy?

My first (DD) was 35w 4d. I had no "preterm labor" at all. In fact, my DH had foot surgery a week before she was born! (We figured a month of recovery between surgery and birth would be fine - LOL!) We went back a week later for his follow up and they took off his cast and gave him the big ol' black walking boot, but he still was not to put ANY weight on it. We were living in Germany at the time and since we had to go to Landstuhl for the appt which was 90 min away, we took the opportunity to go shopping while we were there since their BX was much better than ours. So, lots of walking (and crutching for DH). We got home, went to bed, and I woke up at 4am to pee and my water broke. Contractions started a few minutes later and then DH and I had an argument about who was going to drive to the hospital - the woman in active labor or the man with a walking boot on his foot who wasn't supposed to put weight on it. He won. :-P He seemed to think that a contraction and the gas pedal would be a bad combination. I still maintain that I could have driven - it was autobahn the whole way (so no speed limit) and 4am so no one else on the road!

Water broke at 4am, DD was born at 6:30am. She was totally fine, no complications except being tiny. (5lb 6.5oz)

With DS my OB decided to check me at 34 weeks, given my history. I was 5cm. She was totally freaked out and sent me for an NST to see if I was contracting and not feeling it. Nope, no contrax. So she sent me home (she was SURE I'd be back that night to have a baby) and put me on bedrest. I came back each week for my scheduled appt and each week DS was still in place, but I was half a cm more dilated. So 5cm at 34 weeks, 5.5cm at 35 weeks, 6cm at 36 weeks, and 6.5cm at 37 weeks when she let me off bedrest. DS was born at 37w 4d.

This time I'm having a homebirth with a midwife and I'm prepared to be stuck on the couch for the last 3 or 4 weeks, which will SUCK, but hopefully either my mom or MIL will come visit and help with the kids. As long as I can keep this one baking for 36 weeks, I'm ok for a homebirth. I'm hoping that I just dilate early and as long as I take it easy (and don't go shopping ALLLL day again!) that we'll make it to our goal.
Old 07-07-2011, 01:05 PM   #3
dreamingkristin
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My first was a 28 week preemie -- didn't even know I was in labor.. And I was almost 6 cm when I arrived at the dr. The dr. went to check and felt feet.. yeah.. breech with prolasped cord and water bag buldging... ambulance trip to hospital, emergency section - and 8 weeks NICU stay... he is almost 7 now and is fine..
My second started with contractions at 16 weeks, at 20 weeks were in the hospital over night for observation, and then sent home on modified bedrest, 29 weeks in the hospital for a week on mag. sulfate to stop contractions, sent home later, 32 weeks back in the hospital overnight again, she was born at 37 weeks - no NICU stay just small at just over 5lbs.
My third contractions started at 12 weeks but were fairly consistant and I knew at this point which contractions meant what... so we rode this one out.. I continued to work full time as a teacher, but was still on meds for contraction like I was with #2. And so we just monitered it.. I was in hospital at 34 weeks for observation for a few hours and he was also delivered at 37 weeks. and was about 5 1/2 lbs.
Old 07-07-2011, 03:15 PM   #4
bccc624
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Oh wow, I'm glad to hear your little ones are all doing well ladies! So do you know if your doctor plans to take any preventative measures this pregnancy? I go see my new OB tomorrow, so hopefully I'll know what he will do or look for during this one for me.

bccc624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 06:40 PM   #5
Liz*RN*BSN
Registered Users
Formerly: liz4185
seller

My Mood:

PTL started in my first pregnancy at 30 weeks but I was able to carry to term with the help of terbutaline and a few nights on mag.
My second pregnancy, PTL started at 20 weeks and I spent a week on mag and then they sent me home with weekly progesterone shots and albuterol as needed. The shots were DEFINITELY a blessing. They were able to stop my contractions (the only day I would contract was the day my shot was due, but it never got super strong). Eventually around 35 weeks I started contracting like crazy and the shots had to be stopped so I ended up delivering at 36 weeks. The moral of the story was, progesterone injections were seriously a lifesaver and if I ever make it to 18 weeks in this pregnancy, I will be starting them again
Old 07-07-2011, 06:51 PM   #6
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My mother had 3 preterm pregnancies and was later diagnosed with an autoimmune disorder. I. Feel strongly that the two issues are linked. If I thought there was a possibility that I would have preterm labor, I would be working to heal my immune system w/ probiotics, bone broths, and other highly nutritious foods.
Old 07-07-2011, 08:01 PM   #7
Liz*RN*BSN
Registered Users
Formerly: liz4185
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by songbird516 View Post
My mother had 3 preterm pregnancies and was later diagnosed with an autoimmune disorder. I. Feel strongly that the two issues are linked. If I thought there was a possibility that I would have preterm labor, I would be working to heal my immune system w/ probiotics, bone broths, and other highly nutritious foods.
Very good point. During my recurrent miscarriage testing a couple months ago, I found out I have a genetic clotting disorder (Factor 5 Leiden) so now I wonder if that was the cause of my preterm labor and all the problems I had during my pregnancies.