Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-08-2011, 06:31 AM   #1
Bukawww
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Opinions please

Let me preface this with I am calling my OB as soon as their office opens to get their professional advice on whether to seek emergency care, quick care, or if this can wait till my appt on Tuesday.

Quick history: sick with wicked sore throat and whole head sinus pressure for 8 days now. I've been on penicillin for 5 days now. Sore throat and stuffy nose is actually improving now...once Tylenol wears off (about every 6 hours) whole head headache and plugged ears/earache is back, no improvement....perfectly fine with Tylenol. Now the 'sludge' has moved into my chest and it is actually tightening when I take a deep breath. I am able to cough stuff up off and on and it is green and thick (sorry for the tmi). no fever through any of this. I am using steam facials, neti pot, loads of water, and Tylenol to manage my symptoms. Trying to eat immune boosting foods like fresh blueberries, strawberries and taking vit D drops, folic acid, dinosaur multivitamins and a protein green veggie shake once per day.

I have never been sick this long and this debilitating.

If I'm already on antibiotics and taking the above measures, is there really any point to seeking more care? I have 5 days left of the abx.

What would you do? I'm super tired of being sick but know my options are limited in 'my condition lol'.

Advertisement

DS WAHM thread
Bukawww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 06:54 AM   #2
pharmgirl13
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Opinions please

I always get sinus infections when I am pregnant during the spring/summer months. With penicillin, it takes awhile to work which is why you are usually on it for a week or more. That being said, you should start to feel better (or at least not worse) after a few days. Penicillins only treat a particulart type of bacteria and it may be that you have one that is resistant to penicillin which is very common or an infection cause by something that penicillin doesn't treat. I personally (and professionally - I am a pharmacist) would either try to get an appt with your PCP or go to an urgent care center and see if they would consider switching the antibiotic to something more broad spectrum.

Hope you feel better soon!
Old 07-08-2011, 07:12 AM   #3
bccc624
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I agree with Kristin. I'd think you would start feeling better by now if the Penicillin was working for the specific bacteria you have. I'd go to my general practitioner if you can get in. Good luck, and I hope you feel better soon!

Just wanted to add that oddly enough right around when I got my BFP I started having a sore throat, sneezing, coughing and a headache too. Kind of a weird coincidence!

bccc624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 08:32 AM   #4
ommelissa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharmgirl13 View Post
I always get sinus infections when I am pregnant during the spring/summer months. With penicillin, it takes awhile to work which is why you are usually on it for a week or more. That being said, you should start to feel better (or at least not worse) after a few days. Penicillins only treat a particulart type of bacteria and it may be that you have one that is resistant to penicillin which is very common or an infection cause by something that penicillin doesn't treat. I personally (and professionally - I am a pharmacist) would either try to get an appt with your PCP or go to an urgent care center and see if they would consider switching the antibiotic to something more broad spectrum.

Hope you feel better soon!
And I wanted to add that you can take echinacea 3 x day for a week (if you're comfortable with herbs) to boost your immune system. Garlic capsules every hour while you're awake and vitamin C 3 x day (or a glass of OJ) will also help. The echinacea/garlic/vit C combo is my go-to treatment whenever I start feeling a whiff of illness.
You might consider some good probiotics also since you're taking the antibiotic. You'll be a sitting duck for a yeast infection.
Take care of yourself, mama! I hope you feel better soon! It's miserable enough to be sick, but sick in early pregnancy is a double whammy!
ommelissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 08:42 AM   #5
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

High doses of natural vitamin C is what works for me.I mean really high.
Old 07-08-2011, 11:55 AM   #6
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I wanted to specify that what I do if I'm starting to feel sick, is I get one of those big Bolthouse Vitamin C Boost smoothie drinks, and I mix it half and half with whole milk, unsweetened yogurt. I drink one half the frist day, and one half the second day. I had a sinus infection during the winter, but it was gone within 2 days of "overdosing" on vitamin C. I prefer the bolthouse drinks because their Vit. C is from cherries, not artificially created, so it is better utilized by the body.
Old 07-08-2011, 12:01 PM   #7
Bukawww
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

thanks again - I was having a panic moment last night and unsure about what to do. I just have never been this sick before (and am sick hardly ever to begin with...last time I visited a dr for illness was maybe 6 years ago.

I am feeling LOADS better today FINALLY. I am still going to be remedying this immune system just as soon as I shower and can get to the store so thank you for all of the suggestions.
DS WAHM thread
Bukawww is offline   Reply With Quote