Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-10-2011, 11:56 AM   #11
Boheme
Registered Users
Formerly: happyve**n
seller

My Mood:
Re: Upper lip tie..

My oldest son has this, but it's much thinner and very stretchy. We didn't have any trouble nursing except for the first month or so being very painful for me. I knew there was a problem with his latch but I didn't know what to do about it. Since he gained a ton of weight during that time, nobody would take my concerns seriously.

Anyways, at some point it magically got better and I never thought a thing about his lip tie until the dentist mentioned that we should snip it at some point to close up his gap. My son (now almost 11yo) is adamant that he will NOT be getting anything snipped (he's still bitter about his circumcision) and says that he likes the little space between his teeth. It's just a very small gap at this point and since he doesn't have a problem with it (and we haven't had any other problems associated with it), we're leaving it be.

Advertisement

Boheme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 03:52 PM   #12
Leaner
Registered Users

My Mood:

The more I look at my dd's tie the more I think its pretty thick. So we went to the LLL meeting today and 2 of the 3 leaders there said it is pretty thick. I'll talk to her pediatrician about it, but not sure if I'll get it snipped or not.
Leaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 08:50 PM   #13
Mara'sMommy
Registered Users
seller

I have an appt with dd's ped on Friday and hoping for a referral. (this is the way I have to do it with insurance). I really hope she won't have to get it clipped- she is gaining weight. Not in leaps and bounds anymore, but still gaining. Nursing still hurts but I've gotten used to it. Her is pretty thick too and also goes all the way down and under her gums... I'm gonna go to a bosom buddies meeting next week and see what the mamas there say. I don't have any lll meetings close to me
Mara'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 08:59 PM   #14
SenoraE
Registered Users
seller

One here too, but thicker than your photo... well - the base part is thicker, like the triangle doesn't have a sharp point on it. I read about this from a FB post by KellyMom from the Funny Shaped Woman blog, otherwise I'd have no idea about it. In the beginning BFing was so painful I cried often. Thank goodness this was # 2 or I'd definitely have given it up. Now it's not amazingly comfortable by any means, but it's not painful. Pedi didn't really seem concerned - mostly because he's gaining weight just fine. He said I could take a wet washcloth and rub the part that would end up being between his front teeth to try to thin it / stretch it. I haven't done much of this due to teething. His latch for the first 6ish weeks or so was terribly shallow. We shall see what he says @ his 9 month appt next month. It's ironic because both myself and DS # 1 have almost no lower frenulum connection on our tongues so we can stick them out CRAZY (Gene Simmons) far. Then there's DS # 2 with upper tie and a pretty short lower frenulum too. Sigh. Poor kiddo!
Old 07-13-2011, 08:21 AM   #15
Leaner
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mara'sMommy View Post
I have an appt with dd's ped on Friday and hoping for a referral. (this is the way I have to do it with insurance). I really hope she won't have to get it clipped- she is gaining weight. Not in leaps and bounds anymore, but still gaining. Nursing still hurts but I've gotten used to it. Her is pretty thick too and also goes all the way down and under her gums... I'm gonna go to a bosom buddies meeting next week and see what the mamas there say. I don't have any lll meetings close to me
I can't figure out how to post a picture but here is a link to my blog post about it there are 2 pictures. Man that was HARD to get a picture of. I had her asleep in my lap and used my biggo nursing boobs to balance the camera.
Old 07-13-2011, 08:57 AM   #16
Erinne
Registered Users

My dd has that too, and it wasn't diagnosed until 9 months when I asked the doctor. We had lots of nursing problems and had tons of people check her latch and for tongue tie, but I guess no one looked. I totally understand being annoyed that the professionals that were supposed to be helping us completely dropped the ball.
Anyway, by the time we discovered my dd's we were nursing fine, so the doctor said there was no reason to have it clipped at that point. Dd does have cavities on her front teeth that I think are probably because of it, though. We're planning to have it clipped if it causes problems with her speech, but the doctor said most kids fall and tear it anyway before that happens.
Old 07-13-2011, 09:19 AM   #17
Leaner
Registered Users

My Mood:

My SIL called me last night and told me that she has that. She had a sizable gap in her front teeth and said it made her have a hard time saying the R sound. I think that a small gap is cute but if it causes decay its not so cute.

Ugh.... being a parent is hard.
Old 07-13-2011, 10:01 AM   #18
SenoraE
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaner View Post
I can't figure out how to post a picture but here is a link to my blog post about it there are 2 pictures. Man that was HARD to get a picture of. I had her asleep in my lap and used my biggo nursing boobs to balance the camera.
Just read your post & this is what our second guy's looks like. Pretty thick. I figured it was hereditary, but only because all things seem to be. Thankfully, we have no one in the family who ever had issues with cleft lip / palate.

I posted this link on another post, but in case you hadn't seen it... Lots of pics and surgery photos too:
http://www.kiddsteeth.com/nursingbookmayc2011.pdf
Old 07-13-2011, 10:03 AM   #19
Mara'sMommy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaner

Her's and Mara's look almost identical. Someone i know who goes to the same ped as us (she's the one who discovered it on her boy, and then mentioned it on fb and I checked Mara) says he also wasn't concerned and didnt want to give her a referral. Sigh....

Ha! Yes it was hard to get a pic of!
Mara'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 10:07 AM   #20
Rainshine Designs
formerly "meganbathgate"
seller
seller

My Mood:

I know how you feel...we struggled for 6 weeks with weight loss and inneffective nursing issues only to have ME discover at 6 weeks old that my DD had a cleft of her soft palate! How do the doctor's possibly miss something like that!?! My DD ALSO had the upper lip tie and as a PP posted, once she was up and mobile she tore it sliding down the stairs on her face

Enter code DSMAMA at checkout to receive 5% off your order.
Rainshine Designs is offline   Reply With Quote