Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-12-2011, 09:40 PM   #31
suzefactor
Registered Users
seller

Re: how do you lay a baby down w/o them waking up?

I typically lay down with my DD (11 weeks) and feed her to sleep. I figure if it's got good sleepy hormones coming directly from the breast, hopefully it still has some pumped and bottled. I lay there with her for a bit, wait until she's deep asleep, and stick the dismount. First step involves removing my arm from under her head, then waiting a few minutes. Then I kind of pull away from her, and lay within reach for a few minutes, then I slowly (acrobatically) get up and off the bed and sneak out of the room. Sometimes it works and she sleeps for an hour or three, sometimes it doesn't and she only sleeps for another couple of minutes and repeat the process, sometimes she only naps a little. When she goes down in the afternoon, I typically go down with her, and we'll both nap a good three hour stretch. I am lucky, though, my son is 7 and can entertain himself for awhile. We go through the same routine at night. Sometimes with great results, sometimes the results suck. She is a bonafide sleep fighter.

Advertisement

suzefactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 11:49 PM   #32
aumismommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

All babies are different, some go down half asleep in their cribs, some don't.

What works for us (we cosleep) is for naps I nurse him down then lay down on the bed with him and slowly move away. His naps went from 30 mins to anywhere between 1-3 hours for his morning nap and he still does a second nap that is about 1 hour. Nighttime we go through our routine of shower/bath, teeth, diaper, jammies then I nurse him and sing to him and that usually works to get him to sleep, if not DH comes in and sings to him for a few minutes and that does the trick, then we lay him down in bed until we go to bed then I usually end up nursing him (now though this isn't needing to happen as much since DS is sleeping lots longer).

ISO: Ring Sling WC, Soft Star Shoes (brand) shoes size 8/9 (toddler) or infant
aumismommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 10:55 AM   #33
mama2cntrykids
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajane View Post
Are you putting them down before they act tired? That is important. If you put them down when they are tired, then it is less likely they will be able to put themselves to sleep, unless of course they are very used to it. It is very important to put them down 1-1 1/2 hours after the last time they woke up. No, it isn't a long time with feeding, changing, and "play" time, but it is important to put them down before they show signs of being tired.

I also don't believe in CIO and none of ours have ever cried going to sleep.
Hmmm...I've tried doing it when they're tired, but I haven't been successful. I will try the 1-1.5 hrs. and see. Yesterday was awful! She didn't sleep more than 5-10 mins at a time and last night, she woke every hour or two. I'm tired today. For her nap today she nursed to sleep in our bed and woke with-in a few mins. I then stuck a nook in her mouth and patted her bum until she fell asleep. Only last 20 mins. Did it again, only 10 mins this time. Third time was the charm.

That said, I don't want to have to keep going in there. I will try again with the putting her down before she's sleepy (think I have a hard time realizing when that is). Should she not have a nook at that time?
Wife to an adoring man. Homeschooling mama to: A sweet girly newbie (6/2011). We co-sleep, bf and babywear~Mama to 2 boys (12/00 & 2/03) & one pretty girl (5/06). Step mom to a new Army recruit. Leaving for training summer 2013.

Last edited by mama2cntrykids; 07-13-2011 at 11:06 AM.
mama2cntrykids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 11:57 AM   #34
aumismommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mama2cntrykids

Hmmm...I've tried doing it when they're tired, but I haven't been successful. I will try the 1-1.5 hrs. and see. Yesterday was awful! She didn't sleep more than 5-10 mins at a time and last night, she woke every hour or two. I'm tired today. For her nap today she nursed to sleep in our bed and woke with-in a few mins. I then stuck a nook in her mouth and patted her bum until she fell asleep. Only last 20 mins. Did it again, only 10 mins this time. Third time was the charm.

That said, I don't want to have to keep going in there. I will try again with the putting her down before she's sleepy (think I have a hard time realizing when that is). Should she not have a nook at that time?
Is she maybe just going thru a sleep regression? If that's the case then you may just need to wait it out then try the transitioning.

ISO: Ring Sling WC, Soft Star Shoes (brand) shoes size 8/9 (toddler) or infant
aumismommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 12:26 PM   #35
psylion
Registered Users
seller

I always put DD down awake for naps or held her the entire time in a sling or something. I was never able to put her down asleep and keep her that way.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Old 07-14-2011, 03:17 PM   #36
ajane
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by aumismommy View Post
All babies are different, some go down half asleep in their cribs, some don't.

What works for us (we cosleep) is for naps I nurse him down then lay down on the bed with him and slowly move away. His naps went from 30 mins to anywhere between 1-3 hours for his morning nap and he still does a second nap that is about 1 hour. Nighttime we go through our routine of shower/bath, teeth, diaper, jammies then I nurse him and sing to him and that usually works to get him to sleep, if not DH comes in and sings to him for a few minutes and that does the trick, then we lay him down in bed until we go to bed then I usually end up nursing him (now though this isn't needing to happen as much since DS is sleeping lots longer).
All 4 of mine never go down half asleep. They only went down when I put them to sleep when they were fully awake before they were tired. Until about 8 months they took 3 2+ hour naps a day and from then until 14 months they took 2 2+ hour naps a day and then after that until 4 or 5 they would took 1 3+ hour nap per day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama2cntrykids View Post

Try it....it "seems" to early, but it isn't. It sounds like she is overtired....which will take an extra eye on putting her down before she gets tired. Can she keep the nook in her mouth? Has she been using the nook to fall asleep? You can always try to put her in there with the nook and see what happens.

Yes, it is hard to tell before they get tired, that is why I use the 1 - 1/2 hour rule of thumb. That is usually all they can be awake before they start to get tired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aumismommy View Post
Is she maybe just going thru a sleep regression? If that's the case then you may just need to wait it out then try the transitioning.
I disagree. It sounds like she is overtired. If a child or adult wakes prematurely then it is b/c they are overtired and can't get into the sound deep sleep phase. It is important to make sure she can put her down before she gets tired and start getting her body more rested to have a deeper and more sound sleep.
Old 07-14-2011, 03:30 PM   #37
stevensmom
Super Moderator
Squeeze your own darn cheeks
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

dd does okay with naps...it's bedtime that is sending me to the looney bin!

She will nurse to sleep (which I think is my main problem) and then I wait a few minutes to plop me out of her mouth...then a few minutes to move upstairs to her room. As soon as I get to her room she has a switch in side her that tells her to wake up and scream bloody murder. I swear it sounds like she is getting her limbs pulled out!

We start bed time at 7pm...she will nurse...I will move to get her to bed around 8pm...she's wide awake until 11pm screaming unless I nurse her back to sleep and try it all over again...but then she won't be hungry and will start biting me ullhair:

She also refuses, and I mean REFUSES, to take a paci. we have tried every different kind and nothing will work!

I hope something changes soon!
Swag with me! Bing it!
stevensmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 10:05 PM   #38
FunLovinMama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I can't lay my ds down without waking him. So usually I just lay next to him to nurse him to sleep and sneak away when he's done nursing.