Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-15-2011, 08:25 PM   #21
2peanuts1pumpkin
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Look up the cetaphil method. Basically, you SATURATE the hair and scalp with cetaphil (the face wash) comb it through, and then blow dry it and leave it on for like a day. Repeat once a week for three weeks. It really worked for DD. I think the key though is combing out ALL the eggs. Like, I went through her hair every day for a week looking for eggs. It was a total pain, but we ended up without a re-infestation, so totally worth it. B

Advertisement

2peanuts1pumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 10:13 PM   #22
yomama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: A Louse in the House :(

Thanks! I will look into that, too!
yomama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 10:58 PM   #23
isabelsmummy
Registered Users
seller

I just looked at the bottle. The stuff we got from London Drugs is "Resultz".

I think really though it's the combing that helps the most. I had to put on a weak pair of reading glasses and use a spotlight to really find all the bugs. I got pretty good at finding the nits too but I'm sure I didn't get all of them. The shampoo must have worked.
isabelsmummy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 01:40 AM   #24
mg5g
Self Ban

My Mood:

My guys got it from my neices when I was pregnant last winter and everyone but Dh ended up with them to some degree. I couldn't use chemicals so the health nurse gave me a GREAT tip sheet.

You put LOADS of cheap conditioner in your hair leave it in and comb it out with the metal comb every other day for 10 days (I think it was 10 - maybe 14). This worked GREAT.

Also we had the flu at the same time and I just couldn't do the major cleaning I REALLY wanted to - SO I found out that they can not live without eating in 48 hours. I closed up some of the rooms of our house for 3 or 4 days and wouldn't allow anyone to sleep in those beds. All the kids bunked into one "lice free" room. Once I knew that any lice would be dead anyway then I started slowly gutting each rooms bedding and washing it.

I agree with the PP who wanted to burn her house down - I HATED it. We have never had an issue since BUT I also don't allow my neices to sleep over anymore since they had untreated lice for several months that my family "forgot" to mention.
mg5g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 02:46 PM   #25
ssand23
Registered Users
seller
seller

We dealt with this nightmare a month ago. My younger 2 girls picked it up the last week of school. Let me just say it's a lot of work but worth it.

We bought the Rid kit. Store brands are a waste of $$. I found that the hard way & the school nurse said the same. I also bought a bunch of extra Rid spray, black trash bags & Pantene conditioner. The conditioner can be used for the combing out process in place of the Rid gel & the results are the same.

Every day you see even 1 nit (the white things that stick to the hair), you have to comb out the whole head. It's a lot of work but worth the effort.

Spray everything that can't be machine washed (including your couch & your car) use the black trash bags to put the stuffed animals in quarantine for 2-4 weeks & consider just buying new pillows.

Haircuts are helpful to cut down on combing time. My girls started out with waist length hair but now it's shoulder length.
ssand23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 03:19 PM   #26
ssand23
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChelseaGirl7
Yeah, my biggest advice is to make sure you buy a METAL lice comb, the plastic ones that come in the kits are crap. And it does help to comb the hair when it is wet.
I agree! Buy the metal comb. The plastic one in the kit sucks. And boil the comb & hair brushes daily. Five minutes does the trick. Longer melts everything. I know
Old 07-16-2011, 03:21 PM   #27
ssand23
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrspnut82
Ok this thread is scaring me. Dd starts kindy in the fall. How can I prevent them? I think my mil told me once about a shampoo you use a few times a year to prevent. Anyone use any preventative measures? I've dealt with fleas before (lots of pets) but this sounds worse.
I was told that a tea tree oil shampoo & conditioner are a good preventative measure. My girls are better but I'm making them use it now. Trader Joes has a very inexpensive version. I got nervous (I didnt get it but have been worried I would combing daily) & tried the tea tree shampoo myself but discovered that I'm allergic.
Old 07-16-2011, 03:24 PM   #28
ssand23
Registered Users
seller
seller

If the Rid shampoo left live bugs behind, I'd call your pedi dr for help. They called something in for us but thankfully we ended up not needing it because it was all gone by then.
Old 07-16-2011, 03:39 PM   #29
wyatt09
Registered Users

My Mood:

LISTEN MAMA WEVE BEEN THROUGH THIS..FORGET RID AND ALL THOSE OTHER PRODUCTS AND GET LICE MD IS WORKED THE BEST AND WE TRIED EVERYTHING! ITS LESS THAN TEN BUCKS AT WALMART.THE TRICK IS THAT THE PLASTIC NIT COMBS DO NOTTTTTT WOOORRRK.YOU NEED A METAL OR HEAVY DUTY ONE WHERE THE TEETH ARE VERY CLOSE TOGETHER.YOU ALSO NEED TO PICK THROUGH THE HEAD ACOUPLE TIMES A DAY AND PULL OUT THE EGGS.. COMBING ETC WILL NOT DO IT!WILL NOT!WASH EVERYTHING INCLUDING STUFFED ANIMALS IN HOT SOAPY WATER WITH A LITTLE BLEACH.VACCUM FURNITURE AND CARPETS REAL WELL..THOSE SPRAYS ETC ARE ALL WORTHLESS.ID TAKE A HOT SOAPY RAG WITH BLEACH AND SCRUB DOWN MATTRESSES.VACCUM THE MATRESSES BOTH SIDES THROUGHLY. REALLY JUST KEEP PICKING THROUGH THE HAIR YOU WILL HAVE TO SIT FOR HOURS YOUR KIDS WILL GET UNCOMFORTBALE GIVE THEM AN ACTIVITY TO DO TO KEEP THEM AT BAY AND MAKE SURE YOU REMIND THEM ITS NOT THEIR FAULT. GOOD LUCK!!
wyatt09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 04:13 PM   #30
Truckerswife
Registered Users
seller

we had this problem my sister with waist length curly hair was awful to get them all out what we found worked was nit mix
http://www.nitmix.com/