Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-14-2011, 08:05 PM   #1
mebl0901
Registered Users
seller

What is this rash? *pics*

So, DS has developed this in the last couple of days on his back. We first noticed it on Monday. It's reddish-pink with some yellowish areas. It's not really raised per se, but looks kind of scaly. You can just barely feel it. I'm not entirely sure what it is - I have some ideas - but I'd like to see what others who have had more experience with this have to say before I say what I think it might be.

I know these pictures aren't the greatest - it's darker and much more visible IRL.

Here's some background:

-DS is 8 months old, breastfed and eats solids. So far he has had bananas, apples, avocado, peaches, blueberries, oatmeal, gr beans, peas, carrots, squash, spinach, white potatoes, sweet potatoes, cauliflower, brown rice, and those Gerber puffs. (Brown rice and blueberries are the most recent foods)

-He has had several ear infections, the first at 3 weeks, the second at 5 months, and he's got one now. He has been on Amoxicillin each time. This dose was started on Friday the 8th, a few days before the rash showed up.

-On Monday, he started out with a BAD diaper rash. Super red, not raised or bumpy really. Similar to this rash on his back but way redder. It cleared up with lots of CJ's and sposies. Today he was clear enough to go back to cloth. DH contributes it to the fact that he poops ALOT - several times a day. I'm not sure that it doesn't have something to do with whatever is the cause of the rash on his back.

-Since birth, he has had little rough patches that I've noticed in different places on his belly and trunk that come and go. They have been small and the same color as his skin.

-He has no known health issues. There are none in our family, including allergies.

-He has not had any vaccines.

-I'm on high alert right now because at the doctor's visit on Friday, he had lost 2 lbs since April. That may be no big deal, but my DD never did that so I'm kinda nervous about it.

I think I covered all the bases. So with all of that being said - what do you think? At this point I don't feel like it's bad enough to consult the doctor over - does anyone else? TIA!!!

Advertisement

Last edited by mebl0901; 07-14-2011 at 09:54 PM.
mebl0901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 10:29 PM   #2
AndeeL
Registered Users

My dd gets heat rashes like that, esp if she's sweating on our leather couch.
AndeeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 11:37 PM   #3
gabmaxi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
My first thought was eczema, but after I re-read your post I think it's a fungal rash. You could try some athlete's foot cream or maybe plain yogurt to see if it helps. It can't hurt.
gabmaxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 12:02 AM   #4
palsmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: What is this rash? *pics*

I thought fungal rash as well. Try some ring worm cream or athletes foot cream.
Old 07-15-2011, 07:46 PM   #5
mebl0901
Registered Users
seller

Wow! Not the response I expected but I'm glad to hear it. I had 3 ideas - eczema, yeast, then fungal. The first two make much more sense than the 3rd, but the 3rd seems more harmless and easier to deal with than the others, right? Now I'm just wondering how he got it??
Old 07-15-2011, 08:18 PM   #6
mummy2lolo
Registered Users
Formerly: cay***ali

this looks fungal/yeast to me as well, sort of like rings. The diaper rash is probably yeast as well too. Try some canestin cream and see how it does in 3-4 days you should see an improvement. I'd blame the antibiotics as well and probably get him on some probiotics to help.
mummy2lolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 09:08 PM   #7
Fleece Be With You
Registered Users
OperaDiva
seller

Putting coconut oil on it will help both yeast and fungus. Also consider adding a probiotic for a few days, since he's been on antibiotics it's likely that his gut flora is a little out of balance, they make powdered infant probiotics that are easy to mix into food. It also can't hurt to stop fruit or anything else higher in sugar for a few days just to make sure you're not feeding the yeast while he's healing.
Jessica, wife to L (8-5-05) Breastfeeding, co-sleeping, non-vaxing, CDing, ECing, babywearing Mama to H (9-18-09), my miracle baby! TTC #2!
I make and sell Fleece side-snap ConvertoTrainers! WAHM page Hyenacart Facebook Page
My Ovulation Chart
Fleece Be With You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 08:45 AM   #8
mebl0901
Registered Users
seller

Thanks for all the suggestions. Where can I get probiotics for infants? I sure can't get them locally - not a very "crunchy" area that I live in.
Old 07-16-2011, 08:57 AM   #9
2+2macht4
Super Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Location: In a quaint village smack in the middle of the black forest.

My guess would be fungal. DS has excema and the redness and dryness is similar but not the yellow. Looks kind of like ring worm to me.
Old 07-16-2011, 10:47 PM   #10
SavageMamma
Registered Users

I would say maybe a reaction to the antibiotics it seems like a lot of ab's in such a short time ya know? I would be very concerned about the weight loss as well 2lbs is a lot for a baby to lose in a couple months. Maybe that has something to do with the recent ear infections? Food allergy/intolerance?
I second the probiotic (just give yogurt) and if it were me I would probably stop the antibiotic. My ped won't give ab's for ear infections unless they look extremely bad, usually just tells me to do Tylenol for the pain