Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-15-2011, 12:55 PM   #1
TtownMoma
Registered Users
seller

Painful latch

I am BFing for the first time and ended up with some horribly traumatized nipples due to poor technique. I think I am doing better, as the sucking no longer hurts, but it is still painful when DD latches. It has been about 5 days since I was able to eliminate the pain in sucking. Will the pain in latching go away as I heal, or does it mean I still have poor latch technique?

Advertisement

TtownMoma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 01:13 PM   #2
Leaner
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Painful latch

Most likely it will go away as you heal.
Also how old is your lo? It can take a while for a baby and mama to learn to breastfeed. My lo is almost 16 weeks old and it took us 10 to "get the hang of it" (Even though I had nursed a baby before!)
Leaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 03:49 PM   #3
Aleesh_Mom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaner
Most likely it will go away as you heal.
Also how old is your lo? It can take a while for a baby and mama to learn to breastfeed. My lo is almost 16 weeks old and it took us 10 to "get the hang of it" (Even though I had nursed a baby before!)
This. I successfully bf'd two before my most recent, with latch pain only for the first week until I 'toughened up'. This go around I had cracked bleeding nipples, and the latch pain just very recently subsided. She's 12 weeks tomorrow. Hang in there, momma!
Aleesh_Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 03:54 PM   #4
smilewithme
Registered
seller
seller

I had a painful latch for a while, and it seemed like it lasted forever. But looking back, it was not that long. It'll get better mama!
Old 07-15-2011, 08:12 PM   #5
proudmama4
Registered Users
Formerly: jke**y
seller

My Mood:

I had painful latch w/ my twins. And I had had no issues w/ my first child. I got a free consult w/ the Lactation Consultants at our hospital, and they reminded me what I was doing incorrectly. It's been awhile...I forget what it was. Whatever it was, it corrected the issue. So I would say if it doesn't go away in a week, seek out an LC.
Old 07-15-2011, 11:22 PM   #6
GreysBumatomy
Registered Users
seller
seller

the first few days with DS his latch was super painful and i got fluid blisters on my tips. my LC showed me to tip the nipple upward and push it further into his mouth when he latches and now its not painful anymore. In the meantime, the Lanisoh cream definitely helped soothe the soreness away while they healed up.
Old 07-16-2011, 11:00 AM   #7
TtownMoma
Registered Users
seller

Thanks for the encouragement. I have seen a LC a couple of times (in the hospital and 1 wk after) and didn't really get any feedback on the latch. I actually had a couple of pain free latches last night (yeah!). I think some of it may have to do with how full I am when she starts feeding.
TtownMoma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 02:06 PM   #8
Carolyn528
Registered Users
seller

Check and see if the baby is tongue tied! I had one that was a terrible nurser. A simple tongue clipping solved all his nursing issues. He is much less gassy now too!
B 6/9/11
Due 10/30
Carolyn528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 09:41 PM   #9
myclanof6
Registered Users
seller
seller

It took dd and I about 2 months before there wasn't any discomfort. She was my first bf baby and I guess I had to "toughen up" as well. It really hurt for the first 2-3 weeks when EVERYONE said it shouldn't. She was gaining fine, latch seemed fine, sucking was fine, it just HURT! I think it just takes time depending on how your body is but it should get better. If you are too full (I learned this as well) it can be hard for your LO to latch on. You may need to pump or hand express for a few to get some of the fullness out. This is new to both of you and not "natural" for everyone but it's worth it if you can get it all figured out.
I lift my eyes unto the hills, Where does my help come from? My help comes from the Lord, The Maker of Heaven and Earth. And I'll praise You in this storm and I will lift my hands, For You are who You are no matter where I am, And every tear I've cried You hold in Your hand, You never left my side and though my heart is torn, I will praise You in this storm

Last edited by myclanof6; 07-16-2011 at 09:43 PM.
myclanof6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 12:14 AM   #10
Sempergumbywife
Registered Users

My Mood:

I notice that whenever I let down it initially hurts more than after a minute or so the pain goes away. My problem is the left side she seems to move the very tip around more and that can make it painful. This is my first time around nursing and she is 9 weeks. Hope it gets better for you.
Sempergumbywife is offline   Reply With Quote