Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-17-2011, 10:37 AM   #1
northknoxmomma
Registered Users
seller

Why is he doing that????

My little guy will be 4mo this next week and in the last couple of weeks he has started to pull on and off the nipple. It is not all the time. It is more so on my rt breast (I had a reduction and make about half as much on that side). I haven't had a problem with low supply this time (and definitely don't have OS), he has several food sensitivities that we have *mostly* under control and GERD that is controlled as well. So.... frequently he will latch, suck once, let go, and do it over and over. It sometimes happens at the beginning, which I figure he is waiting on let-down, but it also happens a lot after he has been feeding for a while (I will squeeze and milk will still squirt out). He is never fussy at the breast and feeds till he is sated (but he dose comfort nurse a lot). It is super annoying. Do you think it is my supply? I have some fenugreek and More Milk Plus but haven't used them this time b/c I haven't felt like I have needed it. Any suggestions????

Advertisement

Old 07-17-2011, 11:00 AM   #2
BabyBoyAce
Registered Users

My DS did the same thing around 4 months. I figured it was him "playing" cause every once in a while he would look up at me and smile. He's 8 months now and it doesn't happen now unless I try and nurse him when he's not hungry
BabyBoyAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 11:06 AM   #3
Mrs_R
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Why is he doing that????

Maybe he's just old enough now to be interested in what is going on around him? I had that with my first son - once he was old enough to realize other things were going on while he was nursing he popped off to look around all the time. I started having to feed him in a room alone with no tv or anything.
Mrs_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 11:21 AM   #4
mommaagain
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

At the start of the feed sounds like he's waiting for the let down. My DS did the same thing. During the feed, could be the GERD, or he's looking for a little more that isn't there. Sometimes the meds need to be adjusted as they gain weight. Congrats on being able to nurse after reduction! I would keep an eye on weight to be sure you're not starting to run into supply problems. Use your judgement on the fenugreek and More Milk Plus. If in doubt, consult an IBCLC.
mommaagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 11:57 AM   #5
northknoxmomma
Registered Users
seller

Yeah, I was wandering if he is topping out of his Zantac (he is on Precacid and Zantac and I have noticed an increase in wet burps the last few days). Don't think it is an attention thing b/c he does it a lot at night/ early morning while still "asleep". I just worry that he is getting too much air and it will cause gas issues, which with the GERD and MSPI I am super scared of!