Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-18-2011, 02:32 AM   #1
SenoraE
Registered Users
seller

Nipple pain on one side

Left side pain only on the bottom of the nipple. It feels like DS clamped down and bit me - except he doesn't have any teeth yet. It hurts a little bit all the time, but it hurts a LOT with latching to start and unlatching at the end. It hurts while nursing, but much more with latching/unlatching. I would describe it as throbbing, I think. It does NOT feel like burning. It started in the afternoon, and now I'm up because it is too uncomfortable to sleep / nurse in bed with constant latching / unlatching, as DS is into that pattern in the early morning until he gets up for good. I have never had thrush or mastitis, but I have had several clogs and one bleb. I don't see a bleb, but it hurts like the time I did have one. DS is just shy of 8 months old. Any ideas would be appreciated!

Advertisement

Old 07-18-2011, 02:42 AM   #2
2+2macht4
Super Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Location: In a quaint village smack in the middle of the black forest.
Re: Nipple pain on one side

I had this before. Try another nursing position.

My crappy midwife said I had thrush again, I shoudl not have trusted here (long back story). I spend lots of money on meds over here and did not need them, rant over.

What worked for me was getting pressure off that point. I then nursed ds on my side in bed, but with him flipped upside down, his feet up by my head if that makes sense. I tried the football grip but still hurt. I would toy around with different positions you may have a small wound from a time he latched wrong.

Hope that helps
Old 07-18-2011, 07:29 PM   #3
Chessie
Registered Users
seller

I agree with the previous post. If your nipple is really bad you can just nurse off of one side and pump with the other until it's better. I've had to do that before when I got a bloody nipple (due to difficulty with inverted). But definitely try nursing upside down or football hold.
Old 07-18-2011, 08:40 PM   #4
SenoraE
Registered Users
seller

Thank you, ladies. I was scared maybe it was thrush. I only nursed a little from that side & noticed I am getting a little bleb. Did heat / the usual clog routine, and while it still hurts, it's not making me tear up anymore. Again - thanks so much!!