Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-18-2011, 12:48 PM   #11
cdwelton
Registered Users
seller

Re: Cluster feeding in newborn

Like many PP's have said, growth spurt! DD did this too, but I had heard pumping in between will make you have too much of a supply and therefore you'll have problems with engorgement longer. Just something I heard, so I didn't pump. I iced for the pain. As hard as growth spurts are... you get a day or two of a very tired baby after!

You're doing good momma!

Advertisement

Old 07-18-2011, 02:21 PM   #12
JuneBugMommy
Registered Users

I have a 5 week old and I feel like just this week he has calmed down a lot. The only reason I kept going was because I googled and read a lot of breastfeeding boards. Luckily, my pediatrician was supportive with my feeding him on demand and told me to "keep doing what I'm doing."

My mom often questions, "He can't be hungry again, can he?" Ha. Yes. He. Can.
JuneBugMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 07:09 PM   #13
cherrycoke
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuneBugMommy View Post
My mom often questions, "He can't be hungry again, can he?" Ha. Yes. He. Can.
DH took DS out to a picnic on Saturday (I had to work ) and was questioned by another guy, "Should you be feeding the baby that much?" or "Are you sure you should be giving him that much to eat?" DH replied with, "He's hungry, so I'm feeding him." Some people just can't wrap their heads around on-demand feeding
Old 07-18-2011, 08:00 PM   #14
nursemama23
Registered Users
seller
seller

DD is 5 weeks old but has only been home for 2 weeks due to prematurity and a stay in the NICU. She had been cluster feeding to some degree ever since she got home. I've noticed it's "worse" if she is preparing for a longer sleep or after she wakes. She will bf for 20-30 mins, be off for 15-30 mins and back on. When dh is holding her and she starts to attempt to latch on his arm (15 mins after she finished eating) he just chuckles and hands her over! Unless she is sleeping (she has 2 extended sleeps of 2-3 hours/day) she is nursing every 1- 1 1/2 hours. I have to agree with the buffet comment but a growing baby needs to eat! They grow to fast so I just try to cherish these frequent feeding sessions!
Old 07-19-2011, 02:31 PM   #15
SereneSoldier
Registered Users
seller

Hi mama, dd actually still cluster feeds :/ shes 9 mos old and was born 35 wks at 4.5 lbs. I understand how guilty you feel when you don't pump/nurse and you feel engorged. I still leak when I get letdown. I use what we refer to as boob bibs. Even the smaller breast leaks while Im nursing her. I will say that it definitely did regulate, I used to spontaneously leak over the sink washing dishes or walking, eating, anything. I will leak now if I miss a feeding, but at first, I would leak every hour; in other words I'd have to feed her every hour and she would gladly accept. I did pump every time-to relieve engorgement (boobs felt like bricks) and to stash up. Honestly, with as much as I nursed and being a sahm who never left the house, that stash was used up believe it or not during the very few times I left her with grandma when she was 6 mos+ because I still feel like a buffet!! She eats a lot, all the time but she comfort nurses and never liked a paci and my supply regulated after 6mos even with all the extra pumping. I havent pumped in a while. I do so manually if I miss feedings which is extremely rare but I the medela symphony was my best friend, it was like a second baby. And even then, my supply did regulate but dd didn't lol she still thinks Im a 24 hour buffet. Especially at night before going to sleep, she sleeps only on the tap and nurses for what feels like hours before dozing off. She must have perpetual growth spurts
SereneSoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 02:33 PM   #16
SereneSoldier
Registered Users
seller

cold cabbage leaves work to relieve engorgement if you don't pump/nurse in between feedings. I still feed dd on demand and I also cant believe after all this time that she could be so hungry so soon, but they are growing babies and bm is sooooo easily digested that it goes right through them practically-dd is a mega super heavy wetter but shes healthy. Ur lo will regulate ur supply so pumping was just for my own piece of mind and for my freezer stash-which fyi if u ever leave her with a caretaker, they WILL go through it quick if she continues to be exclusively breastfed
SereneSoldier is offline   Reply With Quote