Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-19-2011, 12:48 PM   #1
M&LMom
Registered Users
seller

Should I go for two?

I've been Cd' ing my 5 month old for over a month now and I'm liking it a lot. Just started using cloth wipes yesterday. I have a beautiful stash of new BGOS thanks to my fantastic MIL. I also bought some Kawaii minky OS because I'm addicted already and wanted some cheap prints. Now I think I want to start with my almost 3 year old. She has special needs and won't be PL'ed anytime soon, though I do think cloth may help with that process. I put a kawaii on her today and she looked at me like I was crazy and then walked funny for a while. It fit ok but got weird as soon as she peed. The BG are already too small. She's not quite 30 pounds and growing very slowly. I'm looking for suggestions for better fitting, preferably cheaper, OS pockets. Also thoughts on CD with older kids. Are the diapers tougher to get clean? Are they more prone to leak? Dd is not a heavy wetter. Is it ok or yucky to share some of the diapers between the two? Baby girl just started on cereal, so I've only really dealt with EBF poos. Thanks for your opinions!

Advertisement

M&LMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 12:53 PM   #2
alaskamum
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Should I go for two?

If I was going to diaper a toddler who might be holding and flooding, I'd probably go with fitteds. I used the GMD workhorse fitteds on DS before he potty trained, I found them to be pretty absorbent. He would hold it for so long though, I would always change after 1 pee. But no leaks!
When trifolding with a flooder, he would pee so much at once that the prefold would bunch up and it would flow out of the cover. The fitted spreads out the wetness, so the whole thing would be soaked, which is kind of icky, but is not any ickier than pee running down their leg.
and M
alaskamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 06:45 PM   #3
Almacham
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Should I go for two?

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&LMom View Post
I've been Cd' ing my 5 month old for over a month now and I'm liking it a lot. Just started using cloth wipes yesterday. I have a beautiful stash of new BGOS thanks to my fantastic MIL. I also bought some Kawaii minky OS because I'm addicted already and wanted some cheap prints. Now I think I want to start with my almost 3 year old. She has special needs and won't be PL'ed anytime soon, though I do think cloth may help with that process. I put a kawaii on her today and she looked at me like I was crazy and then walked funny for a while. It fit ok but got weird as soon as she peed. The BG are already too small. She's not quite 30 pounds and growing very slowly. I'm looking for suggestions for better fitting, preferably cheaper, OS pockets. Also thoughts on CD with older kids. Are the diapers tougher to get clean? Are they more prone to leak? Dd is not a heavy wetter. Is it ok or yucky to share some of the diapers between the two? Baby girl just started on cereal, so I've only really dealt with EBF poos. Thanks for your opinions!
It's great that you want to CD your older one.

My son didn't start peeing in the potty until about age 4, and he still needs a diaper at night (will be five in December). Otherwise he goes to the potty perfectly. But I figured, better late than never. I didn't want the chemicals of pull ups and disposable diapers on his genitals anymore than I wanted it on the new baby's. So into cloth he went. We never looked back. Just wish I had started earlier.

If you have a good wash routine, the water is hot enough, and you are using enough detergent, the diapers should get thoroughly clean, period, no matter the age of the child being diapered. You may experience stubborn stains with an older child, whereas EBF poo stains just sun right out. But the diapers should get clean if the wash routine is working for you.

As far as leaking goes, I don't find it to be true in my experience. Now, there an older child can start holding their pee longer and longer then flood the diaper as a pp mentioned.

All 4 of mine have shared diapers.