Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-19-2011, 09:58 AM   #11
VeganCupcake
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Any way to increase hindmilk?

That's great! Hope you get some good rest soon, too.

Advertisement

Old 07-19-2011, 10:06 AM   #12
bcb1961
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by keen1981 View Post
Personally, in your situation, if you were to come see me, I would tell you to banker down and nurse straight for two-4 days. Feed baby when baby wants. Pumping/nursing/ pumping can mess your supply up alot especially since your baby and you have no good routine and that it's sporadic and you may have over supply. Nurse off the same breast for 2 hrs (meAnjng if she wants to eat that is the only breast u give) according to ur numbers that will be sufficient milk
Intake.

Right now ur baby takes in approximately 1 ounce per hour. That's it. Thought it wAs more, right? Everyone does, lol. But fact based evidence proves otherwise. The baby at the breast, unlimited is what solves a majority of issues. And some babies, won't scream and demand food. In the lactation world it's called 'happy to starve' so it's imperative a newbie eats 10-12x a day. I like 12 or more for a new nursing mom. Let's all admit, there is a learning curve for nursing, some of us have been through it! My first LO lost alot of weight but second time around, my LO never lost an ounce. Lol. He was at breast nonstop and we kept visitors to 2-3 day and spaced them out.
GREAT advice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestlyn View Post
Just wanted to stop in and once again say thank you to everybody for your thoughts and advice. After a week and a half of just nursing we're off the supplemental cream feedings and my supply has dropped to a level that releases the hind milk sooner. WooHoo! Of course now our sleep schedule is all kinds of crazy mixed up lol, but we'll figure that out too. even when a bit sleep deprived
bcb1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 08:26 PM   #13
KristieW
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeganCupcake View Post
I would let her nurse at those times when she seems to want to every hour, for forty five minutes--and on only one side per feeding. That might take the place of your supplementing with the skimmed-off fat--she'll probably nurse the hindmilk directly instead of you having to pump it and supplement with it.

If she's having weight gain issues, I would not deny her an opportunity to nurse at any time that she is interested.
This, exactly. Don't limit her, don't schedule her. Newborns often cluster nurse, and while it most often seems to be in the evening, it can be any time of day. Both my kiddos have gone/are going through stages where they nurse for three hours almost straight from about 6-9pm. I take it as an opportunity to have DH bring me dinner. We might take a break to hit the bathroom, head upstairs to start bedtime with DD1, etc., but that's about it.

Breast compressions and block feeding (one side at a time, feed off the same side for a block of three hours, then do the other side at the other feeding) are great things, too. Basically, the hindmilk isn't just sitting there waiting until you get through all the foremilk first. It separates out in your breast just like it does in the bottle, and the hindmilk gets stuck back in the ducts. Breast compressions are one way to get it to release a little more quickly. There are videos on YouTube if you need an idea of what it can look like.

GL, mama!
Old 07-19-2011, 08:28 PM   #14
KristieW
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestlyn View Post
Just wanted to stop in and once again say thank you to everybody for your thoughts and advice. After a week and a half of just nursing we're off the supplemental cream feedings and my supply has dropped to a level that releases the hind milk sooner. WooHoo! Of course now our sleep schedule is all kinds of crazy mixed up lol, but we'll figure that out too. even when a bit sleep deprived
Yayayayay! So glad to hear that!