Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-19-2011, 11:15 PM   #1
bubblegum1286
Registered Users

New to CDing, Questions about Thirsties

Hey everyone! I'm new to CDing, but I've been researching and think that I'm interested in using prefolds and then slapping on a cover. I'm looking for the most affordable and the easiest route to go, and that appears to be it.

I like the look, price, and size adjustments seen on the Thirsties. My question is this:

I watched a demo of the Thirsty duo wrap on youtube, and she talked about the inserts. I really am not wanting a pocket diaper. So could I just use prefolds in a Thirsty duo? Or is that a no-no?

For those of you who just fold up a prefold and lay it in a cover (sorry, don't know accurate descriptions or terms yet!), what brand cover and prefolds do you like the best? What works for you?

Thank you everyone! I'm excited to learn more and start my stash.

Kat

*Edit* Hm... Ok, I just read on another CD blog that tri-folding the prefold and laying it in the cover is the easiest way to do it, but it's really only good for wet waste and not solids. So, is that true? Is that not a good idea? And if it's not, then why would this method not be efficient but these diapers with insert liners are? And how is that any different? I'm even more confused than ever! If I go the prefold/cover route, do I always have to formerly fold the prefold and use a snappi or pins, or could I just fold it and lay it in the cover?-- And then would Thirsties work for that plan?

I'm sorry for such a long question! I'm just so confused.

Advertisement

Last edited by bubblegum1286; 07-19-2011 at 11:26 PM. Reason: Addition to question
bubblegum1286 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 11:47 PM   #2
amhuerta
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: New to CDing, Questions about Thirsties

I breastfed my baby and in my experience their poop can be more runny and explosive. If you trifold in a cover, there is better chance it will get on the cover and you will probably have to change the whole cover and trifolded diaper inside, which means you will need more covers. Tri folding is better with older babies. So you can do that just maybe not at first.
Diapers that require an insert are usually what they call a pocket diaper. This is a one use diaper and the whole thing has to be changed when the baby goes. Unlike a cover which can be used more than once if it didn't get poop on it.It is a more convienient way to diaper where you just put it on the baby in one step.
Your diapering will change with your baby and you may find what works for others doesn't work for you. It is very hard until your baby is here and you can try things out. I would suggest not getting a ton of the same thing. It took me a while and a lot of tries to find what worked for us. What I loved at one stage changed later. Feel free to PM with anymore questions and if I didn't answer your question Good Luck!
Old 07-20-2011, 12:06 AM   #3
m&m&m
Registered Users

My Mood:

For newborns I don't really recommend trifolding a prefold just because of the super runny poo. If you do go with prefolds at that stage, I would recommend using a snappi. --having a few fitteds on hand wouldn't hurt either.

Thirsties covers work fine for trifolding or with pinning/ using a snappi.
If you do trifold in the beginning know that you will go through a LOT more covers because they will get poop on them.

Also there is a difference between the duo WRAP and the duo DIAPER. The duo DIAPER is a pocket diaper with inserts and is a one time use diaper before it has to be laundered. The duo WRAP is just a cover that you just replace the prefold/flat/insert etc inside and can use the same cover several times before the cover needs to be washed again -unless it gets soiled. HTH
m&m&m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 12:16 AM   #4
smilewithme
Registered
seller
seller

Imagine prefolds from Nicki's diapers are made to fit well into a cover. Also, her covers all ship free.
If you do not trifold at first, the angel or bikini twist are simple. I have personally never pinned/snappi inside my covers, and most of them are thirsties (sized not duo). I do change the covers more, but do not mind it.
You could also try some fitteds, they are just as easy.
Old 07-20-2011, 12:16 AM   #5
bubblegum1286
Registered Users

OOOOOOOHHHHH! OK! Thank you both! I understand better now.

amhuerta, what, in your opinion is the EASIEST CD to use for a beginner? Forget price for a second. I kind of want something that isn't a ton of steps in the process, and folding the prefold, attaching the snappi, then covering it (and possibly having to replace a messy cover) seems a little daunting for a first-timer like me.

Is there a brand/type that you would recommend? With an AIO, I wouldn't need a cover, right?

And m&m&m, thanks for your response as well. I didn't realize that the Thirsties diaper and the Thirsties duo are different. Or maybe I wasn't paying attention to the difference.

Smilewithme, Could you explain fitteds? Do they require covers? Is that more laundry or about the same?

Honestly, I'm looking for ease. We can work out price if I can find something to ease the learning curve of CD.

I just get so overwhelmed and caught up in all of the brands and different types of diaper I get exhausted! Lol

Kat

Last edited by bubblegum1286; 07-20-2011 at 12:18 AM. Reason: Adding a question
bubblegum1286 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 12:17 AM   #6
amhuerta
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Very well put M&M&M. I was trying to think of how to put it but I don't use thirsties. Short but informative
Old 07-20-2011, 12:33 AM   #7
gabmaxi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Prefolds and covers are the easiest. A lot of times you have to change the cover even if you snappi, since newborn poo is runny and explosive. A diaper and cover are a cinch once you get used to it - I liken it to underwear and pants, which hopefully for everyone is uncomplicated. It's second nature.
gabmaxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 12:40 AM   #8
amhuerta
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It is very overwhelming! I remember starting and it was hard. An AIO doesn't need a cover. It is the closest to a disposable that there is. It also takes the longest to dry. A pocket can be just as easy to use. It's more work on wash day because you have to stuff all the pockets with inserts but after that you would just put it on and go.
I personally use a fitted diaper with wool covers. I have a few AIOs and AI2s for when we go out and I want my son to wear jeans or something. I like fitteds because they breath(no pul) but have elastic and snap/velcro on. So he can wear them without a cover.
There are some places that do diaper trials for a small feeT they give you a variety of styles to try out. You can see what you like and then after a couple of weeks or so you return the stuff and know what works for you without the huge investment of buying so much. I would have done this, if I had known about it.
Old 07-20-2011, 12:41 AM   #9
el's mama
Registered Users
seller
seller

We started out with Thirsties covers and PFs too. Still love them! I did an angel wing fold with the PF and snappi'd it. We had excellent results with this (EBF baby).

Also, not sure if your baby is born already or not, but these http://www.cottonbabies.com/product_info.php?cPath=51&products_id=1897 are awesome dipes and you can probably sell them when you're done for exactly what you paid. Free shipping too. It never hurts to have some super easy options around for those first weeks when they're tiny and pooping all the time.