Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-20-2011, 03:25 PM   #1
carolineb
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Will this hurt supply?

A friend watched all my boys so I could go for a bike ride. I left a bottle with pumped milk for just in case. I stopped by after 2 hours and baby was asleep so she said to go home and enjoy some quiet time. She brought him back around 1:30 which would have been 3 hours since the start of the last feed and she said he took a little of the bottle, maybe a couple ounces but wasn't interested. So I started nursing him as soon as I got him but he quickly fell asleep. I was going to try and put him down but maybe I should just let him nurse the whole nap? I usually feed him every 2-3 hours but sometimes much sooner if he gets fussy or sleepy. I hope my supply doesn't drop. Do you think it will? Should I pump? If I do i won't be able to do it until late tonight and by then I probably won't get much anyway.

Advertisement

Old 07-20-2011, 03:53 PM   #2
moonsandmarshmellows
Registered Users
Formerly: mumto2
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Will this hurt supply?

It shouldnt! Theres some days that my little guy will go longer then 2 hours. Like 4-5 hours. I just feed him when he wants it and thats it.

SAHMama to Austyn 3/06, Anya 9/08, and Christopher 9/10
Lillian Louise 12/12
moonsandmarshmellows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 04:16 PM   #3
carolineb
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Good to know! This is a rare situation so I don't know why I would worry. This kind thing happens once a month or every other month.
Old 07-20-2011, 06:00 PM   #4
VeganCupcake
Registered Users
seller
seller

One time shouldn't make a lasting difference. If you were to do that every day, then yes, I can see that it might be an issue. If you notice a bit of a decrease in how full you feel, just nurse him more and your breasts will respond by making more milk.
Old 07-20-2011, 07:48 PM   #5
linzbear
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would only worry if your LO was less than a month old (at that time, you're still establishing supply).

He's not, so it likely won't do anything to your supply. Actually if I leave for something like a doc's appt and leave a bottle I won't pump when I get back if I'm still comfortable - I'll only pump if I missed a feeding and feel engorged, too, or if I have 'free time', but only because it's nice to have a little extra in the freezer

ExtBFing, ERFing, CDing, bedsharing mama to Lucas (2-21-09), Gabriel (4-16-11), Elliot (1-17-14), and loving wife to Rodd
linzbear is offline   Reply With Quote