Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-25-2007, 09:20 AM   #1
ZooCrew10
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Best manual pump?

I will be returning to work after I have this wee one, and I am really sad that I can't nurse like I did with my last one. There are no accomodations for mothers to pump at my work, the only place I can think of doesn't have any electrical outlets, so I'm thinking I'll have to buy a manual. I've seen some at work by Lansinoh, Evenflo, and a couple others I can't recall the names of. Can anyone suggest a good, comfortable (if that's possible!) manual breast pump that I can take to work? Thanks in advance!!

Advertisement

ZooCrew10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 09:39 AM   #2
susansabrina
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Best manual pump?

I have a Medela Foot Pedal pump that is great for pumping places that don't have electricity. Basically you snap the piston hand pump part into the base and the top with the tubes into the foot pedal. It makes 'hand' pumping so much faster, easier, and less messy. You can even double pump with it! My husband was going to list mine on Ebay but I don't think he has yet. I bought mine for work but now I am a SAHM. Here is a picture of it.

ISO:Planet Lunchbox, zorb, Small Lunette cup, ribbon for hairbows, bento style egg molds.IHA:Sm MEAF, Med MEAF, ME Toddlease, Columbia shorts XL womens, xl maternity swimsuit, Lg Zolowear ring sling in blue/grey, 2 Robeez 12-18 mo boys, wool wash, dog costume
susansabrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 09:44 AM   #3
Malka
Registered Users
seller
seller

I really like the Avent Isis. I used to be able to get a lot of milk very quickly with it. I also have the Medela Harmony (got for free from the hospital) and it's a little more finicky about how I hold the bottle I think, and now I misplaced the little white valve so until I find it or the extra one I have I can't use it.

I'm not sure that I would use either for full time pumping though. At the least I would want to pump both sides at once. I have read of people doing it with 2 Isis pumps. I tried with the Isis and the Harmony and it didn't work because the Harmony was at an angle and wouldn't work.

I think some of the electric pumps have rechargable battery packs, like this: http://www.selfexpressions.com/medpuminstyl3.html If I were to go back to work, I would look into an electric pump.
Malka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 09:49 AM   #4
ShannaMarie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malka View Post
I really like the Avent Isis. I used to be able to get a lot of milk very quickly with it.
Me too, loved the Avent Isis. It's super quiet, and I pumped more milk, faster, with it than the Medela PIS.

But I agree that you may want two for speedier double pumping.
Old 06-25-2007, 11:21 AM   #5
prairieflower
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have the medela harmony, too. I don't use it often, but when I do, it works ok.

I agree with the PP who suggested one with a rechargeable battery-- that would probably be best for pumping at work if electricity isn't available.
Old 06-25-2007, 12:32 PM   #6
kadas33
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have the Avent Isis manual pump and it's super comfy. I really like it. However, I wouldn't use it full-time while I"m at work. I have a Medela Pump In Style Advance that I use while I"m at work. It allows me to double pump so it doesn't take as long. My PISA came with a battery pack and I've had to use it once so far. It worked just as good as it would have had it been plugged into the wall.
kadas33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 10:07 AM   #7
Mommabean
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I hated the Avent Isis. But I like my Medela Harmony... I would try something battery operated at least though if you are planning to pump at work.. . the hand ones are really for occasional use.
Old 06-26-2007, 10:14 AM   #8
plumshort
Registered Users

I have heard a lot of good about the medela and the avent isis. I use a manual medela, but would not use it if I had to go to work. I think there are better styles of the medela with battery packs (like someone previously mentioned) that would work best. I hope you finds something that works great!
plumshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 10:19 AM   #9
KMsmomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I went a bit pump crazy. I had a Medela Pump in Style Original dual electric (with battery pack), an Ameda dual electric with battery option, Medela Harmony, Avent Isis Manual and Ameda manual. If I were returning to work I would opt for the Medela PIS with battery pack. It is quicker and more effective, at least on me. If I were going to go with a manual it would be the Medela Harmony....it allowed me to express the most in the quickest ammt. of time. Just my opinion. Good luck!
Old 06-26-2007, 10:28 AM   #10
Weezy6703
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I agree with pp if you are going to pump at work get something battery operated or at least that would perform better. I had a gerber manual pump and it seemed like it it took FOREVER to get just a few ounces out...sometimes longer. I tried to pump often as well. Anyhow next time i know better.

whisperwear makes a hands free battery operated pump. Medela usually is highly rated. I can't recommend or not recommend Avent b/c I haven't tried them nor heard IRL stories.