Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-03-2011, 08:43 PM   #61
wonton
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Intervention to end BFing?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kushie tushie View Post
I'd be pissed... even if they have a problem with it, its none of their business....
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleidoscopeEyes View Post
Totally. the aap recommends BF to 2 years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qbit View Post
Maybe someone already commented on this but I skimmed and didn't see anything. I just wanted to say that, no, they are NOT correct! Breast milk never stops having nutritional advantages. Here's a really interesting link you should check out...

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/bfextended/ebf-benefits.html

I'm lucky that my DS is not a picky eater, but if he were a picky eater like many toddlers are, I don't think I would be as stressed out about it as many parents are because I know that he is getting all kinds of good stuff from my milk still.

Yes to all this and a bunch more I didnt quote!
Im offended for you, you know who is disgusting?!?! THEY are, gah fo' realz yo!!
I nursed my son till he was 4ish, it just slowly dwindled down little by little till it was naturally pretty much done.
I plan to do the same thing with this one, I think she might wean a bit sooner, her personality is just different.

Anyway I hope you dont let them have an affect on YOUR choices and whats right for YOUR baby.

I really cant imagine having someone(s) having the where w/all to confront you like that.

My grandmother doesnt really support my "long term nursing" but meh she's not me and I dont really have to deal w/her since we hardly see her.
I actually met my DF while I was still nursing my son (we started dating right before my son turned 3yo), so he is familar w/the game plan and is obviously fine w/it.
My parents supported my choices as well, which was good since we lived w/them for a long time.
My mom BFed for 6 months and had to wean me since she was going back to work, but wished she could have done it for at least a year.

I really cant imagine having to deal w/people like that in my life, even if I didnt listen to them Id be so PO'ed and sad.

Just keep doing what your doing! You seem to have it all figured it out!

Advertisement

Old 05-05-2011, 01:32 PM   #62
tiffsnest
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

5 months????? What the HECK??? While I don't agree, I could see this at a year, but at 5 months?????? He's a baby!!!!!

I'm sorry that you are fighting this craziness!!!!!
tiffsnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 01:35 PM   #63
*KaiMom*
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

How totally rude. I'd make it crystal clear that they overstepped the line and that you would never participate in a discuss like that again with them.
Old 05-06-2011, 08:40 AM   #64
iggyloo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would be SO MAD. I would've had a hard time going off on them. I get its your sister and BFF, but ultimately, it's none of their freakin' business. Your boob, your baby, your decision. A good friend and sister would just deal with it.

That is just crazy too since your baby is only 5 months!!! I could see if he was 5 YEARS old, but my gosh, he isn't even ready for solids yet!
Momma to Lily Grace Ryan 10/22/07 and Avaya Kai 10/30/10 Expecting #3 11/5/2014
iggyloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 09:24 AM   #65
Kama
Registered Users
seller
seller

I totally opened this thread expecting it to be about a 3 or 4 year old but a 5 month old?? What the heck. I would have asked them what they expected me to feed him then? All babies primary source of nutrition should be breast milk or formula until one year old. I would have been so mad.
The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but vice versa the bad things donít always spoil the good things and make them unimportant- The Doctor
Kama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 06:20 PM   #66
Kriket
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am laughing soooo hard. this is seriously the funniest thing I have ever heard. I can't believe your sisters are 'concerned' about nursing a 5m old. I nursed DS to 21m and there were no interventions I'm also the oldest, and reeeeaaly stubborn!

I'm glad you're strong and can easily shoot this crazyness down. Oh my... I'm still just tickled by this whole situation.
Old 05-07-2011, 01:28 AM   #67
Satori.lover
Registered Users

Bless your heart. You keep on nursing. BM is ALWAYS more nutritional than dead formula. BM is alive and always suited for baby (or TODDLER!).
Satori.lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 05:34 AM   #68
Dean7698
Registered Users
seller

I too opened this thread thinking it was going to be a much older child but 5 months old! Are you kidding me!? Talk about being totally uneducated about bf. I would have been beyond livid and really let them have it! You were way nicer than I would've been! Good job for doing what is best for your baby!
Sarah Wife to Patrick,Mama to DD #1 12/14/2001,DD #2 08/04/2003,DD #3 12/28/2008, and DD #4 October 10,2010
Dean7698 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 08:20 AM   #69
happy2bsahm
Registered Users

My Mood:

I haven't read all the posts, but enough to get the general reaction. I say, put it in perspective...they care about you and want what's best for you. That being said, they are clearly uninformed about the benefits of breastfeeding and the recommendations of the AAP. I would be offended, but probably not say I could NEVER forgive them. I find it quite laughable, really. Get them some info, tell them you respectfuly decline their advice, and move on. You are doing what's best for you and your baby. It is sad that they can't respect your opinion, but stick to it. And, find some support from LLL, local playgroup, or whatever where you can BF without being judged. Good job taking care of that LO!!
happy2bsahm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 02:22 PM   #70
kurTara
Registered Users

I too think this is the silliest intervention ever! Can't believe at 5 mos anyone would say such a thing. I am guessing you are right and they are just projecting their lose onto you. But hang in there, why else would God have given these things to us? BF is the only real purpose they serve. Let them know (perhaps through gritted teeth) that you appreciate what they are trying to do, but this gift is the absolute best food only you can give to your baby and why would any of us do anything that wasn't the best for our kids! Hugs to you! Put in your ear plugs if it happens again You know whats best~go with your gut!
kurTara is offline   Reply With Quote