Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-24-2011, 01:28 PM   #11
mebl0901
Registered Users
seller

Re: How is a cloth diaper worse than a disposable swim diaper?

I think the sign is in reference to prefolds or flats with no cover. I think a lot of people totally misunderstand cloth diapers and have no clue about modern day CDs. I'm picturing them saying no to a drenched, baggy, falling off prefold or flat. KWIM?

Advertisement

Old 07-24-2011, 01:37 PM   #12
MrsA08
Registered Users
seller

What is KWIM?
Old 07-24-2011, 01:45 PM   #13
mebl0901
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsA08 View Post
What is KWIM?
"Know what I mean"
Old 07-24-2011, 03:16 PM   #14
MrsA08
Registered Users
seller

Right, duh!
Old 07-24-2011, 05:53 PM   #15
katelyn08
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

That's odd. Why not ask them why they put no cloth dipes? Maybe they don't know about reusable swim diapers.
Old 07-24-2011, 06:04 PM   #16
MyPerfectLife
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Weird story ... The YMCA in my town does not allow cloth diapers, or cloth swim diapers. I figured it was just because they didn't know about cloth swimmers ... so I asked. They said, NO, because of hygenic reasons and they can't be sure someone is really washing the dipe as well as they should before using it again in a pool after it has been poo'd in. In their daycare they also don't allow cloth dipes, which really gets me because they don't even change dipes there, they buzz the mom/dad to come change the kid. ARGH. Anyhow, one day I was in the pool with my kids and my youngest was in her disposable swimmy (because I follow the rules like that) and another mama came in with her LO wearing a reg sposie. Like regular pampers sposie. Um? Freakin' ew. The diaper swelled to like 10x it's regular size and little gel crystals were just threatening to float out (ok, exaggerating here, but you get my drift). I casually asked mom about it (something along the lines of ... "gosh, these cloth swimmers are just so expensive, aren't they?) and she said when she talked to the YMCA peeps they told her she could just use a disposable diaper. Certain she had misunderstood I questioned the staff on my way out (I didn't make a scene with the mom) ... they said YES! They said you can wear a regular sposie in the pool, but no cloth. Wow! Soooooo gross!!! I'm still drafting my letter of education/complaint about the whole deal ...
Abby, SAHM mom to Maddy (10), Benny (7), Annie (3.5),and Joshy (1). Wife to my traveling hub for 11 years! Almost FT student (2nd time around). My life is not perfect, but I keep telling myself if I say it enough I will believe it!
MyPerfectLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 06:19 PM   #17
KimA
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I think that the risk with a cloth diaper is that it will become water logged weighing the child down and posing a drowning risk.
It doesn't make any sense to say that they don't know if the cloth diaper is sanitary. How do you know that peoples clothes are sanitary. I am sure that there are many kids that have pooped in their swim suites.
KimA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 06:20 PM   #18
hcokasil
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyPerfectLife View Post
Weird story ... The YMCA in my town does not allow cloth diapers, or cloth swim diapers. I figured it was just because they didn't know about cloth swimmers ... so I asked. They said, NO, because of hygenic reasons and they can't be sure someone is really washing the dipe as well as they should before using it again in a pool after it has been poo'd in. In their daycare they also don't allow cloth dipes, which really gets me because they don't even change dipes there, they buzz the mom/dad to come change the kid. ARGH. Anyhow, one day I was in the pool with my kids and my youngest was in her disposable swimmy (because I follow the rules like that) and another mama came in with her LO wearing a reg sposie. Like regular pampers sposie. Um? Freakin' ew. The diaper swelled to like 10x it's regular size and little gel crystals were just threatening to float out (ok, exaggerating here, but you get my drift). I casually asked mom about it (something along the lines of ... "gosh, these cloth swimmers are just so expensive, aren't they?) and she said when she talked to the YMCA peeps they told her she could just use a disposable diaper. Certain she had misunderstood I questioned the staff on my way out (I didn't make a scene with the mom) ... they said YES! They said you can wear a regular sposie in the pool, but no cloth. Wow! Soooooo gross!!! I'm still drafting my letter of education/complaint about the whole deal ...
Bummer. This is sooo the opposite of my YMCA. if they see anyone get in the pool with a regular diaper they make them take their baby out, they can then purchase a swim diaper (disposable) but they are totally OK with cloth swim diapers. Some of the babies only wear that! i know the big difference between disposable swim diapers and disposable regular diapers is that the regular ones have the potential to swell up so much they'll burst. That's gross. i've used a pocket without an insert as a swim diaper before, but only with an older one. i don't want pool water ruining my diapers.
Also, my Y is fine with cloth in the nursery too. They've even changed him before. and i had one of the nursery workers tell me they bought a six pack of "those diapers your baby wears" (it was fuzzibunz) for her sister's baby shower! (she said her sister thought she was crazy, but hey, maybe she'll use them in a pinch and start to like them!) and people are ALWAYS asking about his woolies in there! i hope your Y will lighten up soon!
Old 07-24-2011, 06:31 PM   #19
Mum2Gaby&Emersyn
Registered Users

My Mood:

I've used a pocket without the insert a few times, and never had any problems with it...
Co-owner of 'Mums & Bums' - coming soon!
Mum2Gaby&Emersyn is offline   Reply With Quote