Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-25-2011, 02:31 PM   #1
BrandNewMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Insomnia tricks anyone?

Hello everyone!

I am new here and so far this site seems to be what I've been looking for! My husband and I are expecting our first child in October and I have hit an insomnia rut. I am waking up every 2-3 hours (not even using the restroom on most wake ups!). Then I have a hard time falling back to sleep and am only able to do so after doing some relaxation (which does take a little while). Then I fight the whole process all over again. I find myself waking up at my "normal" morning time exhausted and I end up back in bed mid-morning for a nap and even lay down in the afternoon...what is going on??

Also, when I wake up during the night, I find myself more often than not on my back. I've always been a side sleeper and just can't understand why I'd suddenly start sleeping on my back. I've tried to pile pillows up against my back (am up to 3 tall now) and most of the time I end up just shoving the pile over on top of my poor husband!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Advertisement

BrandNewMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 02:35 PM   #2
ahenson
Registered Users
seller

Stay off DS!! Lol, I had sleep problems before pregnancy and they did not go away. Sometimes, I slept on my "tummy" with a ton of pillows so my preggo belly would not be squished. Now, DS2 sleeps great but I stay on DS way too much now that I have this smartphone! I am glad I did not have it before, else I would have never slept.

**Sent from my Xperia X10 using DS Forum -- watch out for odd autocorrects that I don't catch**
Old 07-25-2011, 03:21 PM   #3
Squeaky McMurdo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Insomnia tricks anyone?

Read the warning label inside your refrigerator. Very long, very boring. Also works on restless children.

My ISO/IHA I'm looking for a Cosco Pronto cover in "Cars" preferably.
Squeaky McMurdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 03:27 PM   #4
ahenson
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeaky McMurdo
Read the warning label inside your refrigerator. Very long, very boring. Also works on restless children.
Lol! Never tried that one.

**Sent from my Xperia X10 using DS Forum -- watch out for odd autocorrects that I don't catch**
Old 07-25-2011, 07:01 PM   #5
Lydia'sMom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm with you. My usual go-to, milk and/or a water-soluble magnesium supplement before bed, which always worked last time and most of this pregnancy is just not enough this week.
Old 07-26-2011, 07:06 AM   #6
mandymatus
Registered Users

My Mood:

midwife said tylenol pm....i try not to take it very often and not very late as i know i have to get up 6-630 with my daughter, but it has been helpful also i only take one instead of 2....ask your doctor/midwife
Old 07-26-2011, 08:06 AM   #7
mitre10
Registered Users
seller
seller

I have very bad pre- and postpartum insomnia, to the point of needing prescription medication. I do my best to minimize the use of that, though. I use Vistaril in a very very small dose and will use Ambien later. I know others have had success with benadryl, unisom, or tylenol pm. But I try non-medical things first, like:

1. no napping. That messes up your night sleep.
2. Get some exercise and sunlight every day possible.
3. Eat a high protein diet, especially for dinner.
4. Reading a fun book before bed.
5. I sleep with a fan on, an eye mask on, and sometimes earplugs.

Good luck!
Old 07-26-2011, 03:30 PM   #8
BrandNewMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitre10 View Post
I have very bad pre- and postpartum insomnia, to the point of needing prescription medication. I do my best to minimize the use of that, though. I use Vistaril in a very very small dose and will use Ambien later. I know others have had success with benadryl, unisom, or tylenol pm. But I try non-medical things first, like:

1. no napping. That messes up your night sleep.
2. Get some exercise and sunlight every day possible.
3. Eat a high protein diet, especially for dinner.
4. Reading a fun book before bed.
5. I sleep with a fan on, an eye mask on, and sometimes earplugs.

Good luck!
Thanks for the tips! I really do not want to take medication if I can help it at all! I may try #5 as that seems like something that may help me a lot. I had someone tell me that putting lavender either in a humidifier or sheet form in my pillow would help...might try that too. I have found the book reading part to be helpful when falling asleep in the first part but less helpful for staying asleep hehe.

Thanks for the tips everyone!
BrandNewMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 11:35 PM   #9
katinahat
Registered Users

I'm also due in October, and when I have insomnia issues, I read an old, familiar book It's kind of soothing and puts me right to sleep.
katinahat is offline   Reply With Quote