Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-22-2011, 07:17 AM   #1
idnar82
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Baby nursing exclusively on one breast?

Hi mamas!
My 3 month old LO has preferred my right breast over the left one since he was born. I think he likes the way I hold him better over there, plus now, it makes gobs more milk and lets down faster!

I have been trying to latch him on the left side as much as I can, but he just gets fussy and I end up giving in and switching him to the right side to please him. I have been trying to pump on the left side at least 2X a day to keep milk a flowing, but it seems to be dwindling.

I have heard from numerous places that it is 100% acceptable to nurse a baby solely from one side, so I know it CAN be done.

The problem is that I am SO lopsided and I get SO engorged at night on the right side...it just makes tons of milk!

Does any one have experience with nursing only on one side? Will both sides even out (sort of) when we wean eventually? Should I just keep up the pumping on the left even though I don't really get all that much? I know I am not alone out there in this, but I have yet to find anyone to ask these questions to :-) Thanks, mamas!!

Advertisement

Old 07-22-2011, 07:24 AM   #2
nibblets
Registered Users

My Mood:
My daughter was starting to do the same, but was preferring the left because the right nipple was flatter and it was harder to get her to latch on. I began making sure I offered the right (the bad boob) before and after every nursing session. My daughter is 8 months now, still nursing strong, and both boobs seem to be equal contributors now and she no longer has a favorite. I am sure that you could exclusively nurse on only one side, however if you are anything like me good luck finding a bra that fits lol

momma to Lilliana 11/08/10 and loving every minute of it!
nibblets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 07:38 AM   #3
moteq
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Baby nursing exclusively on one breast?

I remember reading somewhere about a mom who's lo refused one breast, so she decided to taste from each side. The milk from that breast was salty-tasting, and it turns out she had a clogged duct. Perhaps you should try a taste-test.
Old 07-22-2011, 07:38 AM   #4
lovebugsmama
Registered Users
seller
seller

Ds nursed on only one side from the time he was 2 years until he stopped when he was just over 3 years. He always prefered the right side so I always produced more on that side, then he broke his arm and was in a cast for 8 weeks which made it even more difficult to nurse on the left so we just stopped on that side.

I never really got engored because ds was older and he nursed throughout the night. I wouldn't keep pumping though because it can be such a pain. If in the future you need to nurse from the left side again it is pretty easy to start producing from that side again. Right before ds turned 3 he was in the hospital with a kidney infection and only wanted to nurse, by taking mothers love more milk plus and letting him nurse all day I was able to nurse from both sides.

Also both sides do even out, it took a month or two after ds weaned.
lovebugsmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 07:49 AM   #5
jamilynn84
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

The worst that can happen is you are lopsided, but what I was told to do, as my DD began a heavy preference at 4 months is this...

do a thorough self exam, be sure you don't have a clogged duct or other issue and as long as you don't..,.

always begin on the less preferred breast (so it doesn't stop producing altogether, you may need that milk)

offer the the less preferred breast when (if you do) you comfort nurse

Your little one will take what if needed from where they want so just go with it.
Old 07-22-2011, 06:08 PM   #6
ChocoMeijin
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I nurse only on one breast, (for 3 months now) and pump on the other side (right side). I pump 3 times a day on the right, I usually get about 15-18 ounces a day out of that one. I'm only a little lopsided, not really all that noticeable unless I'm topless Mostly in the morning when I'm most full.
Definitely keep pumping, I would start doing it 3 times a day, maybe even 4 times. I think I'm going to switch to 4 times to try and even them out.
I found the supply on my left side (nursing side) evened out when I started to nurse only on the one side and got into a routine. Sometimes I'm still engorged on that side at night but I'm sure it's because DS is STTN now. Hope that helps! Let me know if you have any other questions. I guess we'll have to wait find out what happens when the little guy weans.
Old 07-23-2011, 09:18 PM   #7
idnar82
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks so much for your helpful answers! I have really been trying to start him on the less desired breast (my left), but it just doesn't go well. He eats pretty nicely on the right side. He has been fussy immediately after his feedings and I can't figure out why. I try and put him back on the left, then switch back to the right. He eventually is just sick of the whole process...usually a little burp and a few sucks on his paci and he is happy again.

Either way, he is gaining weight nicely and sleeping a 7 hour stretch at night, so I probably should just leave it alone. I am pumping 2-3X a day on the left side now and although I am not getting a ton, I am still getting some (of course, so is DS since he will latch on and suckle for a couple minutes...just not long).

I will post back here if I have any more questions. Thanks for your help and suggestions!
Old 07-27-2011, 04:40 PM   #8
Sarahknavy
Registered Users
seller

Just thought I would add... my baby nurses better on the right side. But I have found that if I keep him in the same position (head facing right) and do football hold on the other side, I can hold him the same way and he eats better off of the other side. I recently tried doing cross cradle on the left to see if we could get it to work now, and my nipples got really sore... I think also with him it has to do with my hand placement, (Left hand on him, right hand c-hold)