Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-27-2011, 09:30 AM   #11
McPackmama
Registered Users

I would talk to my pediatrician, especially of there are known allergies in the family. I asked ours if it would be okay for my 9 mo old ds to have some almond milk once in awhile, and he said yes, but we don't use it instead of bm- more like in addition to. My ds is very sensitive to all dairy- regardless of the animal- if it isn't Mama's milk (and I can't have any dairy, either), he throws up for hours after every meal.

Be careful with lots of soy in boys- it is estrogen-like and can cause problems if boys get too much. If you are already drinking almond, soy, coconut, or hemp, and he's not having problems, my experience with my ds is that he's unlikely to have problems if he drinks it himself.

Advertisement

McPackmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 10:04 AM   #12
Servant4Christ
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Almond/rice milk for 12 month old?

I would not try almond or rice only bc babies need the fat for developmental purposes. Ricemilk has very little nutritional value and almondmilk doesn't have much more than the rice. I'm allergic to wheat, soy, dairy and eggs so I've tried it all! If lo's having a suspected problem w/ dairy but not bm, I'm more inclined to think it's only bc of the higher amount of cassein in cow's milk and I'd opt to try the goat's milk.
Servant4Christ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 10:12 AM   #13
johnsbabymama
Registered Users
seller

both my children drink hemp milk. I would google that. It's a great alternative. I don't give my children cows milk. I think hemp milk taste pretty good too. they drink the brand Tempt in sweetened vanilla flavor
johnsbabymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 04:47 PM   #14
Len27
Registered Users
seller

Now, is just feeding your LO more solids an option? My 10 mos old goes on frequent nursing strikes (we just came out of our third, it's infuriating) and he refuses BM out of a cup or bottle when he's striking- we basically just feed him anything and everything he will eat- different cereals (mixed with BM), meat, veggies, fruit...does your LO have a decent repetoire of solids?
We haven't done dairy at all as I'm off gluten/peanuts/dairy for myself and for LO's eczema, so I'm a bit scared to try giving him a whole bottle of *any* sort of milk- I'd rather fill him up with actual food.
Len27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 08:15 PM   #15
JennS
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Len27 View Post
My 10 mos old goes on frequent nursing strikes (we just came out of our third, it's infuriating) and he refuses BM out of a cup or bottle when he's striking.
Mama, nursing strikes don't sound like fun at all. He does eat a good bit of solids, he just wants milk before he takes a nap or goes to bed (I work 3p-11p, so I get home around midnight.)

I never would have thought of coconut milk, we may try that. I know coconuts have alot of healthy fat. I haven't heard of hemp milk before, sounds interesting
Old 07-27-2011, 11:12 PM   #16
mamayogibear
Registered Users

My Mood:

Earlier today my eleven month old son stole his older sisters thermos cup full of almond milk and drank what was left (about half the cup). He seems fine thus far but I'm not going to be making it a habit. I might try switching her to hemp and soy instead of almond and soy though.
Old 07-28-2011, 05:13 AM   #17
Elijah'sMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

kellymom has some good info about this subject, i just went thru this process too. we settled on organic not-skim soy milk. rice milk is too low in fats, goat milk has lactose in it the same as cow milk (so if your babe is lactose-sensitive that won't be a great choice).
Elijah'sMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 05:31 AM   #18
omahonycm
Registered Users
seller
seller

I've heard that almond milk can be slightly a laxative.
Marie - Living my dreams! Mama to a bright and busy big girl, a sweet little toddler girl and expecting a surprise in November! If I'm not with my daughters, then I'm or doing or spending time with the husband or... what else? here on DS!
omahonycm is offline   Reply With Quote