Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-28-2011, 04:45 AM   #11
crunch!910
Registered Users

Re: How do you choice between a midwife and an OB

I had a bad frist experience in hospital. It was impersonal, people ignored me, people treated me like an idiot. Doc coerced me into an unnecessary csection. I didn't get to be the frist one to hold my baby. I didn't see him for a very long time. When I did see him, he didn't feel like he was "mine" and didn't even really have any want to hold him (but did, and still, it was bizarre and I just wanted DH to take him back). Later seeing the photos and videos taking of the 45+ minutes I was away from my baby after he was born, it just made me so angry that they made him cry adn be so upset for so long. The scrubbing and bathing and pokign and prodding was just unnecessary. He's a HUMAN being for goodness sakes!!!

I just don't want to be forced into things I"m not comfortable with this time around. I want to matter to my care provider. And I want my baby in MY arms after he's born. Without unnnecessary intervention taking my baby away from me, no one coming in that I hardly knwo and will never know/remember their names, etc. I just dont' find anything at ALL about a hospital birth appealing, not even being "taken care of" after the birth, because they really did nothign for me. I felt VERY dissatisfied with their post op care!

NO hospitals in the area VBAC. So, its either travel long distance for VBAC at large hospital (and I realize "trial of labor" is a joke and they'll try to force me into a c again anyway), or birth center/midwife or homebirth. Out of those options, I choose midwife!

Advertisement

Old 07-28-2011, 06:43 AM   #12
wimama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I go to an OB practice that has two nurse midwives. I think it is the best fit for me. I ran into problems with DS's birth and I narrowly avoided a C-section. The OB had to assist with the delivery. But, I have the same midwife as I did the last time and my insurance covers it.
Old 07-28-2011, 11:04 AM   #13
sisu
Registered Users
seller
seller

I'm all for a hospital birth, I'm kind of a worrier so home birth will never be for me. That being said, I didn't want to be seen by someone who treated pregnancy as a 'medical condition'.

OBs don't seem to be too popular with the DS crowd, but I adore mine. She's smart, she's calm, and she isn't intervention-happy. She listens to what I have to say, and gives thorough answers to my questions.

I think that you can have a great OB or MW, and you can also have a terrible OB or MW. Get recs from people you know that feel the same way you do about birth, and be prepared to do interviews with your care providers to make sure that they fit well with your needs. Don't feel bad about switching if you don't feel that someone is right for you they - won't care. Don't compromise, because the perfect care provider for you is out there. (haha, I sound like a PSA from the 80's)
sisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 11:44 AM   #14
blackberry75
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarchMama2010 View Post
I'm all for a hospital birth, I'm kind of a worrier so home birth will never be for me. That being said, I didn't want to be seen by someone who treated pregnancy as a 'medical condition'.

OBs don't seem to be too popular with the DS crowd, but I adore mine. She's smart, she's calm, and she isn't intervention-happy. She listens to what I have to say, and gives thorough answers to my questions.

I think that you can have a great OB or MW, and you can also have a terrible OB or MW. Get recs from people you know that feel the same way you do about birth, and be prepared to do interviews with your care providers to make sure that they fit well with your needs. Don't feel bad about switching if you don't feel that someone is right for you they - won't care. Don't compromise, because the perfect care provider for you is out there. (haha, I sound like a PSA from the 80's)
and knowing is half the battle!
blackberry75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 01:16 PM   #15
lisapang
Registered Users
seller

I saw on OB for my first pregnancy because I really didn't know there were other options. This time I am seeing a midwife for my prenatal care but will have to switch to an OB near the end because I have to have a c-section due to extensive surgery on my uterus earlier this year. I prefer the attitude of the midwives in general though. I would like to keep things as natural as possible.
lisapang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 03:50 PM   #16
Kriket
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

GI Joe
Old 07-28-2011, 03:51 PM   #17
Kriket
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

sorry couldn't let that just hang there
Old 07-28-2011, 04:06 PM   #18
jackyl08
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

For my first birth, I chose a family practice doctor. I absolutely loved it. She was/is the baby's doctor, too and it made everything so easy and nice. I am also a worrier and will never have a homebirth, but m hospital was AMAZING. This time, I am going to be at the same hospital, but with an OB. She is also so great. Very calm, reassuring, doesn't rush my appts. Yeah, some were short, but I didn't have questions or anything, so why drag it out? I love my OB and am happy, excited, nervous, etc about my upcoming birth(any day now, come on baby!). I would interview and few and try to find someone you click with. I know dr's are talked down about here a lot, but I have had nothing but great experiences with mine.
Old 07-28-2011, 04:30 PM   #19
umphreysmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

I would say if you are not high risk go with a midwife. There are plenty of midwives that practice in hospitals if you are uncomfortable with home birth or a birthing center.
Old 07-28-2011, 08:30 PM   #20
USMCgirl_05
Banned

My Mood:

I wanted a water birth so the choices were very limited. We have NO hospitals with tubs at all, home birth in Georgia is...kind of in a legal gray area. No CNMs, no "hospital birth center".

Thank goodness we have a freestanding birth center "only" 80 miles away!
USMCgirl_05 is offline   Reply With Quote