Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-28-2011, 02:17 AM   #1
katyldf
Registered Users
seller

Low Supply, Weaning?? I don't know??

Ok so my little 8 month old DS, is ALWAYS HUNGRY!!! But when he goes to nurse he pulls on and off and gets mad like he's not getting anything!! (I don't seem to ever fill up anymore) He had been eating 3 meals a day (we had just started the 3 meals a day because he was so hungry) and I cut it down because he was not nursing enough and now he's hungry all the time, any food he can get his hands on he eats!! He gets distracted.
His schedules like this
8 or 8:30 wake up and feed (I do this in our bedroom lights off and he eats better
9am yogurt (or nothing but then he's screaming and trying to attack his sister's food)
10-10:30 naptime (I try to rock and feed him before I put him down its hit or miss on how he eats)
12-Lunch (some fruit and maybe cheerios)
1:00 Nap (once again I try and nurse him)

Then after nap I try and nurse off and on and its hit or miss but usually just a few sucks and thats it but he's screaming like he's hungry and trying to take whatever his sister has, sometimes I give him something he can hold to munch on
5:00 dinner (a veggie and fruit, gerber puffs or cheerios)

I try and nurse him before bed, if we take a bath he nurses really well in the tub
7:00 he gets a bottle of formula (I usually go and pump but lately I get squat)

night time depends on if he sleeps threw or wakes up or now.

Maybe i'm off on something but I feel like my milks low, and he's always hungry.... He's 19-20lbs and crawling. I was able to nurse my DD until 14 months (until I got pregnant and dr's had me stop due to pre-term labor with her) and I'd hate to have him have to wean early, i'd like to nurse him until 2 if I could.

Advertisement

katyldf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 12:30 PM   #2
ecbcmomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Low Supply, Weaning?? I don't know??

How long has this been going on? This happened to me too b/c my af was returning.
ecbcmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 01:07 PM   #3
VeganCupcake
Registered Users
seller
seller

8 months can be prime time for a nursing strike because of mobility and distractibility. Have you read Kellymom's information about nursing strikes? http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/baby/back-to-breast.html

Also, your breasts won't necessarily fill up and that doesn't mean you don't have milk. After a while, the body becomes more efficient and only makes what is removed from the breast. Milk is constantly being produced at the same time that it is being removed from the breast. Fullness after several months of nursing actually means you have probably waited too long to nurse and your body is going to get the message to make less milk (but this can be reversed by nursing more).
Old 07-28-2011, 01:18 PM   #4
katyldf
Registered Users
seller

It's been going on about a half a month, since he started crawling. It does kind of sound like a nursing strike reading kellymom, I really don't remember this with my DD but she also didn't crawl until 7 months. I guess if at his 9 month checkup they said his weight gain is fine I wont worry about it to much and just keep trying to nurse him as much as I can! I'm just dreading his appointment were military and they made a new rule at the clinic you can't see anyone but your PCM and he has always seen his sisters PCM and the PCM he has she's not really supportive of breastfeeding.
Old 07-28-2011, 01:25 PM   #5
VeganCupcake
Registered Users
seller
seller

Every kid is different. My toddler DD has never done anything remotely like a strike. My 4 month old DS is very different, doesn't like to nurse for comfort, and who knows what he will do. I will need to be prepared for him to strike, I think.

Just keep offering frequently!
Old 07-28-2011, 01:38 PM   #6
MoBaby
Registered Users
seller

My son is 9 months and does similar things a lot. Two observations from my experience:

- AF hasn't returned yet but I have been having "phantom" cycles where I have all the symptoms and my supply drops for a couple weeks at a time. After a lot of googling I started taking calcium/magnesium supplements and that seems to have helped even things out.
- In general he is just distractable and often too impatient to wait for let down, especially in the am. I just try to nurse him when he's sleepy as much as possible (I work full time so he's at daycare a lot getting bottles anyways) and take advantage of night nursing. Rocking him while nursing in a dark room helps too. That's how I got him past a recent 36 hour nearly complete nursing strike last weekend (ouch!).

It is very frustrating though so hang in there!!
MoBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 12:46 AM   #7
katyldf
Registered Users
seller

Thanks Ladies!!!
Old 07-30-2011, 11:01 AM   #8
DesertRat
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoBaby View Post
- AF hasn't returned yet but I have been having "phantom" cycles where I have all the symptoms and my supply drops for a couple weeks at a time. After a lot of googling I started taking calcium/magnesium supplements and that seems to have helped even things out.
This totally saved my supply with my last baby. I was ready to wean him because my supply was so low. Then one day my period started, my supply went back up and it dawned on me it was cycle related.

Also psyllium husk (the ingredient in Metamucil) was really helpful.
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote