Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 07-30-2011, 10:17 AM   #11
JAG's baby mama
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: Anyone use a WOOD cradle?

Originally Posted by Jelliebean View Post
I'm so torn on what to do.

I really wanted an arms reach co-sleeper, but you can't get them in Canada. So I was thinking about a pack N play, but I don't know....

I saw a wood (hand made) cradle on a local FS site and I was curious about using one.

Any experiences?
Yep. FIL made a wood cradle for DH when he was a baby and it is still in excellent condition. MIL pulled it out of the attic, cleaned it, oiled it, bought a new mattress and it was wonderful.

Unfortunately, neither of my babies liked cradles or cribs all that much. They spent very little time in it, but I certainly had no problem using it before and will likely use it again.

Yvonne (45), WAHM, , DH (39) , RJ (5yrs) , VL (4yrs) , RH (EDD 7/15/14)
JAG's baby mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 10:20 AM   #12
Registered Users

I used one that my grandpa made for me to use with my dolls. It sat in the living room and was mainly used for naps with DD. It's in the garage right now and will be pulled in for this babe as well. We just need a mattress for it. I think I might just lay down some nice thick blankets though instead.
It's a GORGEOUS cradle and it needs to get used.
Heather + Jon= Avery (05/09/2007) , Intact Emerson (12/28/2011) and Intact Liam (1/12/2014)
Please check out my Blog for Reviews and Giveaways
Check out Swagbucks
HeatherM0529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 01:21 PM   #13
Fashionably Green Baby
Registered Users
Formerly: artistmom
My Mood:

This is what my new little lady sleeps in

Privacy? Who needs privacy
Fashionably Green Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 01:27 PM   #14
Registered Users

Have you considered a "snuggle nest" It's kind of like a box type thing with a very thin mattress and sleep positioner. It worked great for our kiddos. We used it in my heirloom wooden cradle and/or our bed cosleeping depending on what each kid liked. It also helped transition them to the crib when the time came becaue the snuggle nest just moved with them until they were too big.
aliciamarie632 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 01:43 PM   #15
Registered Users
My Mood:

I used one with dd1 for a few weeks. I did it mostly to make my parents happy as it was the one one my sister and I slept in. It was ok. Most of my complaints stem from us not really having a use for it (I only used it to make my parents happy), and that it was 20 some years old. Even as a newborn, dd1 would stir or move slightly and the whole thing would move. It was sturdy - as in it wasn't going to collapse or break or anything, but the locking mechanism did not lock it completely still, so there was always a little bit of movement with it. Because it was older, we couldn't find bedding that would work for it anywhere. We ended up just laying a blanket down over it, but I wasn't comfortable with that for any length of time and certainly not past the newborn stage. Adding to all of this, the sides were very very short, so it wouldn't have been safe once she started to push up or sit up much. I was shocked when they told me it was all they used with my sister for 6 months. Either they forgot how long they used it for (not likely), they're delusional in how safe it was, or standards were different back then. Probably a combination of all 3 would be my guess.

So, I don't how much of this applies to modern day wooden cradles, but some food for thought.
SAHM to D 10.05 , C 3.07, O 12.11 and EDD 10/2013

[COLOR="Red"]ISO: Girly Alva or Sunbaby OS for a mama on a budget.
Kanga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 02:01 PM   #16
Registered Users

I have a fabulous cradle that my youngest sleeps in, still, at 10.5 months. I got it at goodwill (with no mattress) for $25, about 3 years ago. DD2 used it for her first 4 months, then we moved her into a crib in her own room. DD3 is still in it because we can't figure out the logistics of our 2.5 yr old and our 10.5 month old sharing a room. So the cradle is in our bedroom right next to my side of the bed. It rocks, but it's on rockers, like a rocking chair, rather than hanging from posts. It has locking feet on the rockers that stablize it, which we keep down most of the time, and they work really well, so there's no accidental rocking as baby moves.

It looks very similar to this (but it's not this one exactly)
happysmileylady is offline   Reply With Quote