Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-16-2011, 06:08 AM   #1
IsaacMomom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Milk Allergy Small Vent - Advice wanted

Ugh I hate that DS has a milk allergy and I have to change my diet. As of right now I'm not eating anything because everything I want to eat has dairy in it! I miss cheese. I never realized HOW much I eat cheese, I make cheese ball, I have fried cheesesticks, I love my sandwiches to have cheese on it, Cookies? I gotta eat that with Milk.
I hate this... but it's whats best for DS, so I'm willing to do it for him.
Is there anything that I can eat that doesn't have dairy in it? cause I'm at a lost and willing to take suggestions!

Advertisement

Old 04-16-2011, 06:25 AM   #2
BESMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Milk Allergy Small Vent - Advice wanted

I was just about to write the exact same post. After some really mucusy green stool with blood in it yesterday, the doc took me off dairy.

The biggest mystery to me is how I'm going to get through without butter. Cheese is already difficult enough, but without butter how am I going to get through Easter? I'd love to hear what others use as substitutes....
BESMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 06:50 AM   #3
jemedley
Registered Users
seller

Yes! The first question is whether or not the allergy is to all types of milk or just cow's milk. (For example, I have no issues with goat milk.) The second question is to determine if the allergy is to the milk sugar (lactose) or the milk protein (milk itself, including all forms of milk like casein and whey -- look for those in any ingredient lists, not just the word milk).

Next is to look into milk alternatives -- there are a lot of them now!

Rice milk and soy milk are popular alternatives and can be purchased plain or flavored with different formulations (light, DHA, extra vitatmins, etc.) just like different versions of regular milk. You can also buy rice cheese and veggie cheese made from soy (but be aware that most cheese will contain casein.) Because rice and soy milks are more popular, they are also pretty easy to find in "juice box" style sizes, which is great for on-the-go. I take mine into Starbucks and they can mix up my favorite decaf coffees with them.

Nut milks are my favorite by far. The most commonly found is almond milk, which, in my opinion, is delicious. (But my son much prefers soy milk, so I guess it's a matter of taste.) Almond Breeze is my favorite brand (I happen to love their unsweetened flavored varieties), but Silk now makes an almond chocolate milk that kids would love. Almond milk does have an almond-y taste, which I think is great, especially over cereal or in baking. I use almond mozzerella for making home made pizza. Nut milks are also found in hazelnut and other nut varieties. My favorite alternative to vanilla almond milk is chocolate hazelnut milk (which I like to heat up like hot chocolate... yummy).

But, when I need more calcium, I definitely reach for the goat milk (which I will admit took some getting used to, but is even more nutritious than cow's milk) and the goat yogurt (which is awesome and comes plain or flavored in several sizes) I use goat white cheddar for cooking because it melts and tastes much better than the rice or soy cheeses.)

Now, because of the number of milk allergies increasing, there are new options available, too! For example, coconut milk has hit the market. While it's not my favorite straight out of the carton, they make other things with it which are sooooooo good. Coconut Bliss is my favorite brand of ice cream!

As you can see, once you get into the allergy free world, you'll find lots of options. In my case, I am allergic to cow's milk, eggs, soy, wheat flour, gluten, oats, celery, cranberries, and a whole bunch of other stuff... my son is allergic to animal milks, brewers yeast, strawberries, shrimp, green beans, and more. Since our allergies are different, it was tricky at first, but there are plenty of alternative foods available, especially if you have a health food store nearby. The only down side is that these alternatives are usually more expensive, but as more people start buying them, hopefully costs will be more affordable.

There are LOTS of recipes you can find online or cookbooks that deal specifically with "allergy free" cooking. You can even purchase a subscription to a magazine that I LOVE called "Living Without" that has articles, recipes, new findings, merchant ads, and more related to living with food allergies.

You can also look for restaurants that serve alternate or allergy free options for foods. And you can print of a business card with your allergies to hand to waiters at regular restaurants describing your allergy so that chefs can create meals that will not cause issues for you (a lot of times there will be milks in sauces or other foods that we don't realize looking at a menu.)

Good luck, mama! It DOES get easier and better with time.

Last edited by jemedley; 04-16-2011 at 07:14 AM.
jemedley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 06:59 AM   #4
jemedley
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by BESMama View Post
The biggest mystery to me is how I'm going to get through without butter. I'd love to hear what others use as substitutes....
Imagine making a cake with no eggs, no regular flour, no milk, no butter. It can be done, AND it can taste good, too. (See those wedding cupcakes next to the cake there in my pic icon? Hubby made them allergy free for me for our wedding, and made the cake "regular" style for our other guests.) There are plenty of substitutions available for all of those ingredients, but since you asked about butter, I'll focus there.

For cooking, using butter flavored crisco or coconut oil (Spectrum in the mason jar is my favorite variety) is an alternative to butter. I haven't had issues with Smart Balance olive oil margarine for a spreadable alternative. And there is a soy version of butter as well. Also, if the allergy is only to cow's milk and you want REAL butter, like I do sometimes, you can get goat butter instead.

You can even buy rice based versions of cream cheese (which is actually pretty darn good) and there are recipes to make your own cottage or ricotta cheese for making things like lasagna (I use almond mozzerella).

My husband likes rich foods, like bisque soups, and finally there is an alternative to "heavy cream" that is dairy free! If you do a little research, you'll find lots of ideas and recipes online, even places to buy foods (like allergygrocer.com) if you don't have healthfood stores nearby.

If you have yoga studios or vegan restaurants, you might give them a call since they sometimes have a lead on where to find alternative foods. And, if you look, big chain grocery stores now often carry an allergy free section or alternatives choices, and if they DON'T, just ask for a manager. Explain your allergies, and they should be able to do a special order and keep things stocked for you.

Last edited by jemedley; 04-16-2011 at 07:11 AM.
jemedley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 10:35 AM   #5
vwcabbymom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemedley View Post
Yes! The first question is whether or not the allergy is to all types of milk or just cow's milk. (For example, I have no issues with goat milk.) The second question is to determine if the allergy is to the milk sugar (lactose) or the milk protein (milk itself, including all forms of milk like casein and whey -- look for those in any ingredient lists, not just the word milk).

Next is to look into milk alternatives -- there are a lot of them now!

Rice milk and soy milk are popular alternatives and can be purchased plain or flavored with different formulations (light, DHA, extra vitatmins, etc.) just like different versions of regular milk. You can also buy rice cheese and veggie cheese made from soy (but be aware that most cheese will contain casein.) Because rice and soy milks are more popular, they are also pretty easy to find in "juice box" style sizes, which is great for on-the-go. I take mine into Starbucks and they can mix up my favorite decaf coffees with them.

Nut milks are my favorite by far. The most commonly found is almond milk, which, in my opinion, is delicious. (But my son much prefers soy milk, so I guess it's a matter of taste.) Almond Breeze is my favorite brand (I happen to love their unsweetened flavored varieties), but Silk now makes an almond chocolate milk that kids would love. Almond milk does have an almond-y taste, which I think is great, especially over cereal or in baking. I use almond mozzerella for making home made pizza. Nut milks are also found in hazelnut and other nut varieties. My favorite alternative to vanilla almond milk is chocolate hazelnut milk (which I like to heat up like hot chocolate... yummy).

But, when I need more calcium, I definitely reach for the goat milk (which I will admit took some getting used to, but is even more nutritious than cow's milk) and the goat yogurt (which is awesome and comes plain or flavored in several sizes) I use goat white cheddar for cooking because it melts and tastes much better than the rice or soy cheeses.)

Now, because of the number of milk allergies increasing, there are new options available, too! For example, coconut milk has hit the market. While it's not my favorite straight out of the carton, they make other things with it which are sooooooo good. Coconut Bliss is my favorite brand of ice cream!

As you can see, once you get into the allergy free world, you'll find lots of options. In my case, I am allergic to cow's milk, eggs, soy, wheat flour, gluten, oats, celery, cranberries, and a whole bunch of other stuff... my son is allergic to animal milks, brewers yeast, strawberries, shrimp, green beans, and more. Since our allergies are different, it was tricky at first, but there are plenty of alternative foods available, especially if you have a health food store nearby. The only down side is that these alternatives are usually more expensive, but as more people start buying them, hopefully costs will be more affordable.

There are LOTS of recipes you can find online or cookbooks that deal specifically with "allergy free" cooking. You can even purchase a subscription to a magazine that I LOVE called "Living Without" that has articles, recipes, new findings, merchant ads, and more related to living with food allergies.

You can also look for restaurants that serve alternate or allergy free options for foods. And you can print of a business card with your allergies to hand to waiters at regular restaurants describing your allergy so that chefs can create meals that will not cause issues for you (a lot of times there will be milks in sauces or other foods that we don't realize looking at a menu.)

Good luck, mama! It DOES get easier and better with time.

i am also just found out that my 5 week old has a milk allergy and I am ADDICTED to cheese!!! So depressing! So glad that someone plosted all these great alternatives
Old 07-30-2011, 12:15 PM   #6
mgl
Registered Users
seller
seller

When I had to go off dairy for dd2 I did a lot of google searches. One of the sites that I like that had a lot of info and alternatives is godairyfree.org. It helped me a lot since no one that I knew irl had even heard of being allergic to dairy, let alone any info on it. I still cook with coconut oil instead of butter, almond milk instead of cow milk, so that dd can have most of what we eat. It is hard to get adjusted, but it does get easier. You will learn which brand of bread are okay, which granola bars, ect. If it is only milk (like our case) and not multiple allergies there are a lot of alternatives. The more allergens the more limited your choices. It will pass before you know it and you will be able to go back to your normal diet (although it was a long 18 months while I was nursing. I missed my real icecream and chocolate! Looking back it was a small period of time) and definitely worth it! Good luck!
Old 07-30-2011, 01:12 PM   #7
northknoxmomma
Registered Users
seller

My lo has MSPI, so he is intolerant to milk and soy protein... and soy is in EVERYTHING. And I am a vegetarian. He is also very sensitive to onions, garlic, citrus and caffeine. Which sucks. But, I really want to bf. And I want him to be healthy and happy, so I do what I have to do. The day will come when I eat my weight in cheese!!!
Old 07-30-2011, 01:29 PM   #8
ojessesue
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Hi Kerri We've been through it, too. Caroline has sensitivities to milk, soy, and eggs. I've started introducing some things back in but it's not working yet. Once you start cutting it out and get used to it, it's not so bad. Hope you guys are doing great, Kerri!! and to everyone else who's struggling with this, it's so worth it, and continuing to breastfeed is their best chance of outgrowing the allergy.
Old 07-30-2011, 02:33 PM   #9
northknoxmomma
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojessesue View Post
Hi Kerri We've been through it, too. Caroline has sensitivities to milk, soy, and eggs. I've started introducing some things back in but it's not working yet. Once you start cutting it out and get used to it, it's not so bad. Hope you guys are doing great, Kerri!! and to everyone else who's struggling with this, it's so worth it, and continuing to breastfeed is their best chance of outgrowing the allergy.
Awwww, hi Jessica! Went to Jack&Jules and it was just not the same not running into you! Let me know if you size up and want to sell off some stash ... hope all is well!