Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-03-2011, 12:07 AM   #1
DommysMommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
When to start my preemie on solid foods?

I believe whole heartedly not to starte babies on solid foods until at LEAST 6 months of age. My first didn't really start solids until almost 1 and my second was at about 8-9 months.
My doctor mentioned at our last appt that I could start Cameron on solids. He wasn't even 3 months adjusted yet, so I of course told him that wasn't going to happen.
He's now 7 months old, 4 months corrected. I know I "could" start solids now, but I don't think he's ready. I really want to wait until at least 6 months corrected to even consider it, but I'm not sure what the doc is going on...actual or corrected?
I was reading tonight on a website that preemies are a special case, and should wait until like 9-12 months, so with that do you think they're referring to actual age?
So I guess where I'm getting at is do I start solids according to his adjusted age or his actual age? I would think adjusted regardless, just because the needed milestones, but I'm not sure how to make my doctor comfortable with my decisions.

Advertisement

Old 05-03-2011, 09:23 PM   #2
PinkSapphire87
Registered Users
seller

Re: When to start my preemie on solid foods?

I would wait. I would make sure he is showing all the signs of readiness before starting solids. He should be sitting up unassisted, using pincer grasp, lost tongue thrust reflex, and showing interest before starting.

My DD is not a preemie but was hospitalized for FTT. Our ped said for us to wait until at least 6 months before starting solids, because she doesn't want babe filling up on empty calories. That way babe gets essential calories and nutrients from breastmilk/formula and not empty calories from rice or other foods.

Breastfeeding, babywearing, fully vaxing, attachment parenting, still in school, forever studying, and burning the candle at both ends but loving life and enjoying my girls!
PinkSapphire87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 12:00 AM   #3
DommysMommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkSapphire87 View Post
I would wait. I would make sure he is showing all the signs of readiness before starting solids. He should be sitting up unassisted, using pincer grasp, lost tongue thrust reflex, and showing interest before starting.

My DD is not a preemie but was hospitalized for FTT. Our ped said for us to wait until at least 6 months before starting solids, because she doesn't want babe filling up on empty calories. That way babe gets essential calories and nutrients from breastmilk/formula and not empty calories from rice or other foods.

Yeah , I have no intention of starting him anytime soon. I was just seeing what the general thoughts were on if you start preemies based on actual age or corrected age. I know my doctor will bring it up again at our next appointment and I want to have some information to present to him in case he gives me a hard time.
Old 05-25-2011, 11:41 PM   #4
MANATUS22
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

this resource/or sublinks might prove useful.
http://www.kellymom.com/bf/preemie/preemie-links.html

http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/so...ay-solids.html
a bit about me ebay seller/buyer feedback:
http://myworld.ebay.com/manatus22/
---

Last edited by MANATUS22; 05-25-2011 at 11:44 PM.
MANATUS22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 12:39 PM   #5
homebrewedbaby
Registered Users

i just posted this same question on another forum! sounds like your son arrived about as early as our boys. Our twins came at 28 weeks, 1 day and are 3 1/2 mos actual now, 2 weeks adjusted. One baby is pretty much always ravenous (they get breast milk mixed to 22 kCal with EnfaCare) and my family has suggested rice cereal. We're waiting to talk to the pediatrician next month about it. It's been frustrating - everything i read is "4-6 months" but i can't find anything about whether that's actual or adjusted for preemies!
homebrewedbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 11:35 PM   #6
DommysMommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebrewedbaby View Post
i just posted this same question on another forum! sounds like your son arrived about as early as our boys. Our twins came at 28 weeks, 1 day and are 3 1/2 mos actual now, 2 weeks adjusted. One baby is pretty much always ravenous (they get breast milk mixed to 22 kCal with EnfaCare) and my family has suggested rice cereal. We're waiting to talk to the pediatrician next month about it. It's been frustrating - everything i read is "4-6 months" but i can't find anything about whether that's actual or adjusted for preemies!
I think your boys are way too young. Your Ped will probably tell you it's ok, but mama I'd really reconsider. I won't even touch on rice cereal, as I think it's a pointless first food. None of my kids ever had it.
I did decide to wait until Cameron is 6 months adjusted before considering starting him. He'll be nine months actual at that point, and that's this month. I've tested him with a nibble of avocado here and there, just to see his tongue thrust reflex, and he's still not really ready.
Old 06-08-2011, 12:33 PM   #7
mommyria2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My boy was only 7 weeks early but the ped had him start solids at 6.5 mo actual. I think he was mostly ready and I hadn't planned on pushing the solids but i wanted to see what he would do with it. After about a week of just sorta playing he started eating solids really well and now at 8.5 mo actual and 7mo adj he's eating stage 2 food like a champ. I think the key is just do it when you feel he's ready. There's no rush.
Old 06-09-2011, 11:54 PM   #8
2LittleAngels
Registered Users
seller

My 32 weeker is now 6.5 mo. actual age and had her 6 mo. check up today. I told the pediatrician that hadn't started solids as she didn't seem ready yet. He said she was gaining weight and growing just fine and thought it was fine I hadn't introduced any solids. At her 4 month check up he said that I didn't need to base starting solids on any actual or adjusted age, but just to watch for the signs of her being ready.
2LittleAngels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 09:53 AM   #9
purpledayz
Registered Users

With DS we tried off an on around 6 months. He really had no interest until 9 months, so 7 months adjusted. Turns out he has a ton of allergies so I am happy we didn't try anything earlier, it just would have been too confusing.

He is 14 months now and still gets most of his nutrition from a bottle. He had feeding problems until he was about 4 months.
Old 08-01-2011, 03:47 AM   #10
momineer
Registered Users
seller

I always go by adjusted age for these kinds of things. We started introducing tiny bits of solids when my son was 6 months old (4 adjusted), but nothing that would replace any of his feeds. Our doctor said he was ready at 6 months. She advised against any earlier than that since he is a preemie.
momineer is offline   Reply With Quote