Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-02-2011, 10:09 AM   #31
wlillie
Banned

My Mood:
Re: Does anyone actually LIKE being a WOHM?

I just miss my kid too much. I think I'd love it if it was part-time, but that's not an option. Otherwise I think I'd like it.

Advertisement

wlillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 10:21 AM   #32
Janine
Registered Users

My Mood:

Just thought I would mention that there is an awesome book out now called Torn by Samantha Parent Walravens all about being a working mom. It is a compilation of stories by moms who work, some by choice and some by necessity. Regardless of whether we love to work or not, balancing work and family is rarely easy. And for me personally I balance a love of work with a guilt of not being with my kids every waking moment. We all deal a little differently.
Janine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 08:29 PM   #33
Hope4More
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpfgirl
I love my job and love working, but I would definitely like to spend more time with my son. I don't think I'm cut out to be a SAHM because I think I'd go a little nuts.
This. I teach, and I AM a bit crackers especially come this time of the summer. I love my job, and can't imagine giving it up unless it meant the safety of my family. However, I also have a WONDERFUL woman who watches ds, and you can CLEARLY see he loves being there. If I wasn't 100% sure of my childcare situation, I'd quit in a heartbeat.

I'm addicted, so I'll be right back
I have given my cross to Jesus, who has a special talent for overcoming them, even if it means giving His own life...
Hope4More is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 08:40 PM   #34
mbleblanc
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Im a fulltime student during the school year and work fulltime during the summer. I wouldn't want it any other way! I could NEVER be a sahm. I'm a single mom so ds is in daycare all day but he loves it and learns so much everyday I couldn't imagine keeping him home all day with boring old me.

I don't work at a very good job, customer service for a cellular phone provider, but just being out of the house and socializing with people keeps me sane and makes me a better mother. I love my son so much but I don't think keeping my son home with my all the time would be beneficial for either of us.
Old 08-02-2011, 09:00 PM   #35
Dolphin_Medic
Registered Users
seller
seller

I could go either way. I love my night job, there's no way I would quit being a FF/Medic. That said, if I won the lottery today I'd turn my resignation in for my day job. I love the challenge and since I have to work, it's not a bad job...but I'd love to stay home with my kids too.
Old 08-02-2011, 09:14 PM   #36
MariaLA
Registered Users
seller

I love working, and I love my job. But I don't talk about it much because it feels like if I say that, people think I don't love my kid as much. Which is BS, of course.
Old 08-02-2011, 10:20 PM   #37
Bethannp
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I do. But I only work part time.
Old 08-02-2011, 11:38 PM   #38
teachermama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chmom77 View Post
I enjoy being a WOHM. I work in a school and I'm off from work for 2 months every summer, so I experience both sides every year. I enjoy spending that time at home with my DD, but I feel like I appreciate it more because I WOH most of the year. I don't think I would enjoy being a SAHM all the time the way that I enjoy and appreciate my summers at home.

I am a teacher also, and while I savor my time off with my kiddos, I also thoroughly enjoy teaching...it's who I am. I did the SAHM thing for about 18 months after my son was born and while I enjoyed it, I didn't love it. I felt like a big part of me was missing....the part that enjoys teaching and being with my students. I also love the fact that I get to enjoy all their holiday breaks and time off with them. And my husband is home with them during the day while I teach....we truly have the best of both worlds. The hardest part of being a WOHM for me is during the bf/pumping at work because it is such a hassle to coordinate...and the scheduling....(i.e. dr's appts, meetings, phone calls that need to be returned) that comes with have a family. There is nothing more frustrating than spending all day at school, only to come home and want to be with my kids, but end up returning 12 phone messages before 5 pm, or call a Dr. office to set up an appt, etc. But I definitely belong in the workforce....couldn't imagine it any other way.
(O)….2, & Someone NEW….arriving May 2014!

Kindergarten Teaching Extraordinaire
teachermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 04:08 PM   #39
psylion
Registered Users
seller

I like WOH. I stayed home with DD for two years and the second year was pretty hard for me. I am not great at entertaining toddlers. My DD turns four next week and I can't imagine having her home full time. We would both be miserable. She really loves playing with the other kids at her preschool. On the weekends she complains of being lonely and begs for a sibling. I miss DD during the day, but I like getting to use my brain and interact with adults too. I also have a mountain of student loans to pay off so I really need to work.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Old 08-04-2011, 08:49 AM   #40
grinnellian2001
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by carriek38 View Post
I'm wondering if there's a difference between moms who are working in a chosen profession, specifically when they've gone to college & possibly grad school & have a few years of experience & an already established career, even if they don't love the specific job they have right now (this is me), & moms who are working solely to pay the bills, regardless of the job qualifications.

That is, I like my job...I don't love my job. I'm a little burned out right now, & that has very little to do with being a parent or wanting to be w/ my DD. I just don't think I could give up my career & my professional momentum. I love being a mom, but it's not all that I am...I need to & enjoy caring for all the aspects of me, including the professional me .
This, this, this!

I toyed with being a SAHM (really a WAHM since I run a couple pretty successful side businesses) but am really struggling with the idea of giving my my career. In my field (museum work) there simply aren't enough positions that I could leave and have any hope of getting back into a similar one in a couple years. I could branch off and do consulting work, which I might end up doing eventually, we'll see how it goes. My mother was a WAHM with a thriving full-time plus consulting business so that is the norm for me. I can't imagine not using my training for something (working FT or PT, consulting, running a WAHM business, or perhaps home schooling). I'm very worried about how I will feel when our LO comes, though. I'm not looking forward to daycare. Fortunately we are in a position financially that I can bump down to part time for awhile and my employers have been supportive of that...
grinnellian2001 is offline   Reply With Quote