Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-02-2011, 03:07 PM   #1
Ryder
Registered Users
seller
seller

Playing with his bits

I have an almost 1 year old who has been very part time ED'd since about 7 mths or so. I would put him on the potty and he would always pee, and we would occaisonally catch a poop, but I was never consistant.

THen about a month ago,,... he found his penis. Now i take the diaper off, the hand flies down there to touch himself, and he hasn't peed on the potty since. I try to distract him wiht books and he pushes it out of the way to touch himself.

NOw what? Do i give it a rest and try in a few weeks? Should i try and be persistent? So frustrating, b/c now i never catch anything

Advertisement

Happily married to "M" and loving life with my toddler "B" 8.17.10. Waiting for #2, my christmas baby!!
Ryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 07:38 PM   #2
mynde
Registered Users
seller

Re: Playing with his bits

my son (11 mo) seems to be getting over this phase now. he was, like you mentioned, VERY interested in what was going on down there. at first, our response was to try to keep his hands out. but we quickly realized - it will not hurt anything. it is HIS body. he is just learning what is going on. we communicated with him that "that is your penis. that is where the pee comes out." he still plays with his penis now and then. but at least he does not have to feel the pee come out anymore!

so, imo, i say, let him explore. it will eventually, like all things, become less interesting to him.
mynde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 09:10 AM   #3
Ryder
Registered Users
seller
seller

I only distract if he is on the potty, because he can't go while he plays with it. So he hasn't peed on the potty in a month! I don't mind that he plays with his penis, you are right it is his to explore. When he gets older I am sure you can set limits such as, "we don't this in public! those are your private parts." but right now I just want him to peeeeee!

Ugh... Hoping he passes this stage soon. I miss catching things on the potty.
Happily married to "M" and loving life with my toddler "B" 8.17.10. Waiting for #2, my christmas baby!!
Ryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 12:46 PM   #4
bb2011
Registered Users
seller

LOLOLOL!!!! my 7 mo has been ec'd since 2 and a half months, and he has recently discovered his bits, so i COMPLETELY understand your frustration! i given him toys that make noise or flash lights to keep him interested in NOT touching himself.

but since yours is a bit older, i'd almost try and give him a "bits exploration" time just before or after a potty time, so when he's on, he can associate the potty with business in stead of exploration. at least he's not grabbing the pee shield like my lo does? lol!

hope this helps, good luck!
bb2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 02:09 PM   #5
somegirl99
Registered Users

My 12-month-old has been on a bit of a potty pause, and the few times that he does pee "in" the potty, he usually plays with himself and pulls his penis out, and we end up with a pee fountain everywhere.
somegirl99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 06:00 PM   #6
mynde
Registered Users
seller

i see what you are saying, ryder. i say just keep offering. i know how frustrating it can be to not be successful as we are having an extremely long period (~2 mo.) of little success. part of it is he is just learning so much new stuff right now/recently (becoming mobile). maybe that is part of why you are having so little luck as well? keep us updated.
mynde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 01:31 PM   #7
Doreen
Registered Users

I suggest giving him plenty of naked time during the day. I ec'd my son since birth and never had a problem with him playing with his penis while peeing because he had plenty of other times to play with it. He was basically naked unless we were not home. It's a perfectly natural behavior that gets quelled when children are not giving enough naked time. If you are uncomfortable letting him run around naked in the house (though this gives you the most information about when he needs to go to the bathroom, his penis will go erect or get bigger when he needs to go), since it's summer give him some naked time outdoors.
Doreen is offline   Reply With Quote