Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-03-2011, 01:42 AM   #1
rcima
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
DELETE

Okay, item number one is nipple soreness:
My almost 8-month-old has her first two teeth on the bottom and while nursing two days ago she kinda cut the bottom of one nipple. The cut has closed but now the area is red, kinda swollen and sore when she nurses and to the touch. I've been rubbing breast milk on it and airing it out but with no success. Any suggestions?

Item two is cloth nursing pad suggestions:
I must be a 'heavy leaker' because after almost 8 months I still have to change pads after almost every nursing session. I've been using Milk Diapers, both the 5-layer ones and the 'Moisture Guard' ones. However, they don't seem to provide enough protection. I'm constantly washing my bras because the milk leaks right through the pads. I'm also finding that with the 'Moisture Guard' my breasts get hot and steamy inside my bra bc of the PUL inside the pads. I would love to find something with more protection and that is breathable. Is that possible? Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Advertisement

Last edited by rcima; 08-11-2011 at 11:57 AM.
rcima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 01:34 PM   #2
DesertRat
Registered Users
seller

Re: 2 Things: New nipple soreness & nursing pad suggestions plz

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcima View Post
Okay, item number one is nipple soreness:
My almost 8-month-old has her first two teeth on the bottom and while nursing two days ago she kinda cut the bottom of one nipple. The cut has closed but now the area is red, kinda swollen and sore when she nurses and to the touch. I've been rubbing breast milk on it and airing it out but with no success. Any suggestions?

Item two is cloth nursing pad suggestions:
I must be a 'heavy leaker' because after almost 8 months I still have to change pads after almost every nursing session. I've been using Milk Diapers, both the 5-layer ones and the 'Moisture Guard' ones. However, they don't seem to provide enough protection. I'm constantly washing my bras because the milk leaks right through the pads. I'm also finding that with the 'Moisture Guard' my breasts get hot and steamy inside my bra bc of the PUL inside the pads. I would love to find something with more protection and that is breathable. Is that possible? Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
For the pain, whenever my babies cut teeth I feel like it's just a matter of time until your nipples get used to their teeth. It will go away once your nipples are toughened up.
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 03:05 PM   #3
proudmama4
Registered Users
Formerly: jke**y
seller

My Mood:

I always used olive oil to help my soar nipples. When it's really bad, I'd uses Lansinoh
Old 08-03-2011, 03:15 PM   #4
aept
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Have you tried wool pads? You might have good luck with those. I like them and need to get mine cleaned up (post mild case of thrush) to wear again. You can either wear them on their own or with some unlined cotton/hemp/bamboo inside. That inner layer would need changed more often but might give some additional peace of mind if you are out and about.
The wool doesn't usually need to be washes often at all. You can have 2 pairs and let one air dry while you wear the other. Mine are Lana care (sp?) but I know there are other nice ones out there as well. They are often made larger than other pads but I felt that they then concealed better. No obvious little circle right on your nipple area.
Also have you tried lilypadz? I find them best for occasional use only as they aren't really breathable and some worry about plugged ducts with them since they actually prevent milk from coming out.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
aept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 12:00 AM   #5
rcima
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks mamas!

I tried the lanolin (and gave it some time) and it is SOOO much better. No more pain, yay!

Thanks for the wool suggestion, I'm gonna give those a try.
rcima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 05:29 AM   #6
ariannasmommy22
Registered Users
seller

get a Milkies for when you are at home so youre not wasting/leaking all that breastmilk. I save about 6oz of milk a day with them...no pumping ...and I don't go through as many cloth pads.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/re.../dp/B001ZT12T8