Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-06-2011, 07:10 PM   #31
Nanner99
Registered Users
seller

Re: No recess for first grade???

No offense, but anyone who thinks it is not that bad to skip recess with 1st graders has not spent much time in a 1st grade classroom! I think it's unfair the kids often only get 15 or 20 min a day of recess! Much less NONE.
All 1st graders need a lot of time to be up and learning through movement anyway, especially these kids who are not getting the recess they are entitled to. Just work hard to get them moving during the day, and maybe you can incorporate a little down time into the day? Like where they can do their own thing (well, as much as you can allow them to) for a little while. They need the physical movement, but also the social aspect, and the mental break from schoolwork!

Advertisement

Old 08-06-2011, 07:44 PM   #32
Vivhop98
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocsNemesis View Post
Ugh, yes, that's BAD. At such a young age too? Definitely do what you can.

I think our whole school system is idiotic at this point. It needs a major overhaul. The no recess thing in your case may just be due to the requirements of your school district, but I know more and more schools are being mandated to eliminate recesses due to the no child left behind crap. If your kids test poorly, you have to take away recess to have more academic time. Yet, anyone with kids knows that this results in LESS learning, as the kids are bored and fidgety.
Yeah, except it isn't just the kids that test bad that are being affected, it is the entire class, unfortunately. I would get so frustrated last year because my son would have so much homework for first grade, despite not really having much recess, so it really left him little time to play at night. He said he always got done way faster than a lot of the kids, but they wouldn't let him do his homework; they had to save it for later. It affects the kids with high test scores too because they have to wait for those with lower test scores to catch up with them. My son lost quite a few recesses last year for being too wiggly or loud in the class and I kept trying to figure out how a boy who is 6 can sit still with no recess all day and this somehow was supposed to solve his proble? If it was raining, they did their 20 minute recess in side with board games. I completely disagreed and thought they should take them to the gym for relay races or just to run. Kids need to run to perform better.
Old 08-07-2011, 08:46 PM   #33
moms5angels
Registered Users
Formerly: moms4angels

My Mood:

this is why i think more & more kids r obese. cuz they r sitting most of they day @ a desk insted of getting outside & playing/excersing & then when they get home their cramed w/ hrs of more wrk. after all the homework is done their is nothing left but dinner,bath & bed. where is there outside time?? it just dosnt exsist aney more cuz of all this obission w/ schooling & education (from the schools). i understand this is important but so is r kids health & them doing nothing but sitting all day isnt doing them aney good @ all. the other thing that ticks me off w/ this is insted of the school taking responsabilty for what their doing w/ the obese issues (by making the kids sit for hrs in school & @ home w/ homework no outside time) their blaming it on the parents. yes. some parents dont have their kids go out.(cuz they dont care) but most parents would love to but cnt cuz there kids noises r stuck into the books cuz the SCHOOL dosnt know when to chill on education & let the kids play or just b kids.

Last edited by moms5angels; 08-07-2011 at 08:47 PM.
moms5angels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 09:25 PM   #34
5PrincessMommy
Registered Users
Formerly: Mrs_Brady
seller
seller

Last edited by 5PrincessMommy; 10-10-2011 at 11:27 PM.
5PrincessMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 08:15 AM   #35
dancermommy1
Registered Users
seller

This makes me want to cry. I can't believe the leaders of our educational system think kids don't need playtime. I don't care what they are learning, they can't learn if they don't get the physical activity their little bodies NEED. This is why I'm going to bend over backward to try to pay for private school. If I can't afford that I will homeschool. I can't stand the thought of my fidgety ds trying to sit for 6-8 hours a day with no recess. Heck, I get more breaks than that at work, for crying out loud!

Please Visit my ETSY store benefiting women and children in poverty! http://www.etsy.com/shop/conspiracyoflove

YOU can make a difference in developing countries, one precious child at a time! http://conspiracy-of-love.blogspot.com
dancermommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 10:15 AM   #36
stephie_j24
Registered Users
seller

The public schools here have really cut down on recess. Even for kindergartners. DD's potential school had only a few minutes of recess for kindergartners, art/craft projects only once a week if that (teacher said "if we can squeeze it in") and no music. And they're in school for 7 hours a day. I do NOT want my kid in 'serious school' that long without play and movement at this age. I had planned to homeschool to avoid that. Instead, we found a great charter school with different rules and ideals and they have way more emphasis on play, art, and exercise for the little ones. She started kindy about an hour ago!! *sniff sniff*
Old 08-08-2011, 10:22 AM   #37
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:
Something that is mentioned a lot is liability. Lots of schools have had to cut recess because of a liabilty issue. Kids get hurt, parents sue schools that are underbudgeted and have no money as it is. It is really sad.

When my kids were in school they had strict rules about when kids could play outside and use the equipment. One teacher could not bring her class out alone because of liability issues, but if a certain number of teachers or aides were present they could.

Horribly sad what is happening in PUblic schools these days.
ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 10:24 AM   #38
teacherpippi
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Can you combine some gross-motor/movement activities into your learning? Say, relay races or an obstacle course with ELL words in certain places?
teacherpippi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 10:30 AM   #39
TwinKristi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I haven't read all 4 pages but my friend's son who is in reg. ed in NE doesn't get a morning snack recess either. I thought it was absolutely crazy and doesn't sound healthy to me.
I would definitely look into a snack time. Do alot of these kids get a free breakfast? Our school does a free breakfast program and most of the ELL kids get free breakfast and lunch. They save part of the breakfast for their snack time, but maybe you could make sure they have a snack during that time? Good luck!!
Old 08-08-2011, 10:30 AM   #40
Vivhop98
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by teacherpippi View Post
Can you combine some gross-motor/movement activities into your learning? Say, relay races or an obstacle course with ELL words in certain places?
I like this idea. What about Simon says (make it active) and have certain words they have to find scattered throughout the classroom?