Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-04-2011, 08:36 AM   #1
LnzsOut
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Learning to use the potty

Howdy, mamas. This morning DS (26 mos) was running around naked, and when I went into the bathroom, his potty was full of pee! This is the second time he has done this recently, so I guess it's time to start officially working with him. Honestly, I'm kind of dreading it (think public restrooms - ew - and lots of rural 2 lane roads with low shoulders) however I know it is a necessary evil . He still refuses to poo in the potty at all and will either ask for a diaper or go a little on the floor - lol. So, to all of you wise and experienced mamas, what worked for you and yours? Thanks!

Advertisement

Old 08-07-2011, 09:33 PM   #2
KiteGirl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Learning to use the potty

We waited for that kind of readiness, and then just switch my little boy to underwear at about 2.5. We did a few days of the timer method- I set my phone to bark like a dog and every 20 minutes when we heard the dog bark we ran to the potty together. For the first couple weeks we would go to the bathroom every half an hour, and every time we arrived somewhere/left somewhere. That's changed to once every hour, and if we're out he doesn't go at all unless we're out for a long time or we eat while we're out. He still has accidents every once and awhile, but he does really well. We use diapers for naps and nighttime, but I think I'm going to cut out the diapers for naps this next week and nighttime the next- because he's waking up dry now.

As for the poop, we tried a few things. First, he runs around naked so he can sit on his potty anytime he wants. We watched Elmo's potty time video, and ewnt and bought a backpack with play-doh in it and some cookie cutter things. Whenever he goes poop on the potty, he gets to pick something out of the backpack and we play.

Good luck Momma You'll figure out the best thing for your LO!
KiteGirl: Mother of one boy, Cy Wife and Partner to John, educator, and perpetual student. I'm into cloth diapering (although Cy is a potty-using boy now!), babywearing, crib sleeping, vaccinating and circumcising, and am happy to support you in what you believe, as well.
KiteGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 11:09 AM   #3
linzbear
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We just did this

After a day of no pee on the floor, I bought underpants for him. Still did a diaper out until he started telling us he had to pee while we were out. Easiest way on a public toilet is to sit them backwards with all bottoms off, and obviously wash hands afterward!

Poop took a week or so longer, he just didn't want to go in the potty. Turns out he just didn't want us looking - I was nursing DS2 one day and he asked for a diaper, and I told him he had to wait. He gave me this "I can't wait" look and ran for the bathroom and pooped. I set the baby down immediately and gave him 2 mini marshmallows (Yeah, I bribed, it worked for us :P ). He's only had a couple accidents since then.

Only issue we're running into is that he won't poop in public, so if he really has to go it will end up in his underwear. Only happened 2x in the past month though, so that's not too bad. I just bring extra underpants and pants with me.

Still doing dipes at night, but there's usually only 1 pee in them or they're dry in the morning. Planning on making some training pants when I get the money to buy a pattern

ExtBFing, ERFing, CDing, bedsharing mama to Lucas (2-21-09), Gabriel (4-16-11), Elliot (1-17-14), and loving wife to Rodd
linzbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 12:34 PM   #4
LnzsOut
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for responding, mamas!! Today is actually Day 1 of our efforts. DS is doing great! He's been excited about going to the potty so often. He's peed many times in the potty today - still no poo. We'll see how that goes... I've been switching between his big-boy undies and going completely naked (he prefers to be naked of course). We'll see how things go this week before we try to venture out in public without diapers!

I really like the timer idea for the barking dog - my phone has that, too, so I think we'll start that after naptime! So much easier than just watching the clock. Thanks for the idea

Lindsay - good idea about turning the babes backwards! I'll definitely give that a shot when the time comes. I wonder how common it is for kids not to poop in public potties? My DS rarely poops in public even with diapers. He will if we are at other people's houses, but I can't remember the last time I changed a poopy diaper in a public place!

Thanks again for your advice! BTW - we have a stand-alone potty for DS and just yesterday we bought him a little seat for the big potty. It is TERRIBLE and the little pee shield is useless. Any suggestions for one that actually works? I think it is too distracting for DS when I have to point his penis downward...