Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-08-2011, 02:09 PM   #1
gardengirls
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Older dd's pretending to breastfeed

I am asking for some advice on how to handle this from other breastfeeding moms with older DD's. My girls of course see me nursing my infant all the time. They have always pretended to breastfeed their dolls and I look on proudly that I am teaching them that breastfeeding is natural. Anyway recently they have started playing baby where one of them is the baby. I noticed today they are breastfeeding each other. I am not sure how to handle this and I am a little uncomfortable with it, they are actually sucking on each other's nubs. I told them to just pretend, but they don't understand because breastfeeding is pretty much all they know, and again proud mom, it's completely natural to them. So advice time....am I over-reacting and should just let them play uninteruppted or should I be consistent with making them pretend when breastfeeding each other. Thanks....

Advertisement

I am Angel wife to Scott , we are parents to three little girls Abby 2/12/06, Megan 6/9/08, and baby Cara 12/18/10 we are also crazy parents to three teenage boys Tyler 6/9/95, Blake 7/25/96, and Noah 3/25/98
gardengirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 02:15 PM   #2
smom050811
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Older dd's pretending to breastfeed

Hmm... that's tough. Maybe tell them that it's ok to pretend, but that only babies actually suckle? I mean, I want my daughter to know that breastfeeding is ok! In fact I hope she remembers and breastfeeds her babies! She "nurses" her dolls all the time (which her father is a real meanie about, btw) but that's a little different. Maybe they just need a few more doll babies to nurse? I don't know... but I hope you can figure it out!

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a harder battle. - Plato
smom050811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 04:27 PM   #3
adavieau
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Hmmm, I know its innocent but that would make me a little uncomfortable too. I think if it were me I'd just emphasize that its great to pretend with dolls but not to do it on each other and not really go into any more detail than that unless they asked why and then I'd mention that their "breasts" are private parts and only for them (or their babies when they grow up) to touch.
adavieau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 05:32 PM   #4
carolineb
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
My boys 4 and 6 have done this too! I actually laughed the first time I saw them do it because I totally didn't expect it. But they were playing baby too. I think it's pretty innocent and we just talked about how only mommies can do that and that if they ever get married and have children to support their wives with nursing. Mine didn't actually do any suckling they just pretended. They really don't do it much anymore. I guess the novelty has worn off and I don't react to it anymore.
Old 08-08-2011, 06:33 PM   #5
My Sweet Blessings
Registered Users
seller

My oldest would pretend to nurse his babies when he saw me nursing his brother. he never actually did it with anyone, just his babies. Him doing that with another person would make me uncomfortable. I would do as pp suggested and say that only real babies actually suckle, but pretend is ok.
My Sweet Blessings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 06:36 PM   #6
crunchymomof3
Registered Users
Formerly: mommy2boys0608
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by adavieau View Post
Hmmm, I know its innocent but that would make me a little uncomfortable too. I think if it were me I'd just emphasize that its great to pretend with dolls but not to do it on each other and not really go into any more detail than that unless they asked why and then I'd mention that their "breasts" are private parts and only for them (or their babies when they grow up) to touch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by My Sweet Blessings View Post
My oldest would pretend to nurse his babies when he saw me nursing his brother. he never actually did it with anyone, just his babies. Him doing that with another person would make me uncomfortable. I would do as pp suggested and say that only real babies actually suckle, but pretend is ok.
ITA with both PP
crunchymomof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 08:46 PM   #7
gardengirls
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for the advice. I am going to go with the private parts talk and tell them it's ok to pretend, but actually touching other's privates is not ok.
I am Angel wife to Scott , we are parents to three little girls Abby 2/12/06, Megan 6/9/08, and baby Cara 12/18/10 we are also crazy parents to three teenage boys Tyler 6/9/95, Blake 7/25/96, and Noah 3/25/98
gardengirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 09:08 PM   #8
susannah
Registered Users
seller

My DS and DD have done this with each other. (And DD is still a nursling) It made me uncomfortable, too. We just kept repeating that it was okay to pretend but that they shouldn't actually suck on each other. They just think it's hilarious to pretend to be the baby (or mommy) though. I know it's probably harmless, but it still wierds me out.
susannah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 09:31 PM   #9
hippieintraining
Registered Users
seller

I agree with the PPs!! I'd maybe even add that it's a special thing they'll get to do when they're moms but can pretend with their dolls in the meantime.

My ISO/IHA
hippieintraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 11:42 AM   #10
MissyMia
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have only experienced my dd pretending with a baby, and I think it is cute when she switches sides. It would make me uncomfortable if I saw her and someone else acting out the real thing though. I would maybe just emphasize pretending with a baby doll and not another person. Like give each girl a baby doll and tell them to feed their babies together. I have tried the private parts talk with my dd who is 3.5 years old (advised by our pedi) and it goes right over her head.